okay guys...biggest pet peeve at car shows

-
The modern car club - where all the challengers look a like (well there is 3 versions) but they can't park next to the new camaro club - than two groups of people are confused. all using their remotes to find their car
Great club names like BAMM (bay area modern mopar)

Last show I went to - the modern club voted for their buddies who had decent cars - not a show winners, who won with basic chargers When there was way more deserving cars A original owner 1971 superbee with a 440 6 pack. Rare awesome car. Not even 4th place. Cool older guy. I voted for him

10.JPG

"Yeti" stickers on the back window...really?? You gotta be some kinda special douchebag to put one on your ride, so what's your point? What are you really trying to say?? It's a ******* cooler!! And you paid stupid money for it... Still can't figure that one out. Ooops, wrong thread! :realcrazy:

That in order for the Chevy's to be noticed, they all have loud Flowmaster mufflers. Well maybe only 99 percent of them.

If a guy goes to a car show, and is concerned AT ALL, about a trophy......don't make me finish my thought..

There is actually a guy around here with a Corvette that threw a tantrum because he didn't win best Corvette at a show. He marched past us and went and sat in his car and just stared out the windshield. I've never seen anything quite like it. Best part was when he won ANOTHER class at the same show a few minutes later and someone had to get get Mr. Pouty out of his car. As he walked by I said, "It's gonna be okay now. Go get your paw-paw!"

What he needs to do is give each one of those trophies to the people that actually WORKED on his car. I just don't get how you can have so much pride.

I don't usually go to car shows, but have been to plenty in the past! I like shows that are put on for charity, and would usually only go to those shows. My only foray nowadays is the Nats, and I bring my car for the nightlife cruising, and usually leave it in the pits all day! The local cruise-ins are nice, simply because it's a nice drive to get there. Pet peeves?? I don't really have any, maybe the mom with the stroller zig zagging thru the cars. Or all of the regular cars bottle necking traffic at the Dream Cruise!

Burnouts as they leave. Want negative attention to a hobby, do a burnout as you leave for the day. Only thing that will be remembered by the casual observer is the idiot doing a burnout down Main st. with people 5 feet away. If you want to do a burnout go to the outskirts of town or the light industrial area on the weekend when no one is around.
You do that at most of the cruise nights I attend and they will not let you come back.

My biggest pet peeve is seein small block Chevys in everything. I get a Chevy in a Chevy, and that's cool. But small blocks in T Buckets. In 40 Fords. In old Chryslers. In old Ford trucks. In rat rods.....and on and on and on.

It's like these people think they're doin somethin new and uninvented. Whatever happened to Flathead Fords? Oldsmobile 394s? Early Chrysler Hemis? Buick Nailheads? Buick straight eights? There are so many different old engines out there and yet people always take the easy way out and act like it's somethin new.
Oh yeah. Now they are putting GM "LS" engines in everything. Disgusting.

Like someone said while ago, 6 pages in 24 hours. WOW! Everyone has been to some and we build some pretty strong opinions!!!
I guess we agree, most spectators are idiots, most of us wonder why modern Challengers don't park in the spectator lot, how people can get the hots for a $1.97 plastic trophy (GM car no less), If you do take your car to show, why don't they pay you $20 to show and not other way around, or at least spring for free lunch!???...... lol

stopped going years ago, car show people are special breed
of assholes. Like the ones who will sit there all day behind there
immaculate creation that they did not a build and not really know
much of anything about it if asked. Lots of shine n chrome runs like

every show i go to with the lil red express, theres always one in the crowd that says yup, used to have one identical to that but mine was green, black, blue, pink or any damn color but red.
Why is it that when people stop and talk near a truck at a show they have to lean over the tailgate and put their feet up on the bumper (which i had rechomed at a cost of 400 bucks!)
i used to have the same car...but mine was a 70. Well it couldn't be, cause they only made demons in 71-72. No I had a duster...okay so you didn't have the same car.

I have one. I have / Had a original numbers 66 Hemi charger. Fully restored, maybe not a 100 point resto, was not the idea of doing the resto. NEVER a mention of any interest in the car. Sold the car, somehow my Brother wound up with it!! Always the same blue 69 RR getting all the interest.

.facebook_1430925969931.jpg

charger.jpg

.facebook_1430925869267.jpg

We love going to car shows....never expect to win anything.
We love to share our car with car people and talking to them about our car, and more importantly their car, or the car they had.
We love to see parents with young kids at car shows talking about cars. More than once I've pulled open the driver's door and told the kid to "get in" Seeing their eyes light up and the smile on their face is priceless. Hopefully we've "made" a few future car people.
We enjoy both of our old classics, driving them both a few hundred miles a month....that's what we enjoy most!!

I hate the cars with a 4 figure value & a 6 figure price tag on them. (FOR SALE) Lol

A highly detailed engine compartment, OEM perfect.... What's with the parts store battery or even worse an Optima?, buy the dang reproduction battery or at least a cover.

Likewise, obvious electronic voltage regulator it an otherwise OEM engine compartment.

Headers on an otherwise OEM restoration.

I can overlook a few things like the non over-spray look.

Peoples choice judging even if it is only those that have a car there.

Round Robin trophies, Fred got it last year, let Sam have it this year. Why bother.

Sponsored trophies, the one who Sponsors the trophy send somebody out to pick a car they like?

Alan

The modern car club - where all the challengers look a like (well there is 3 versions) but they can't park next to the new camaro club - than two groups of people are confused. all using their remotes to find their car
Great club names like BAMM (bay area modern mopar)

Last show I went to - the modern club voted for their buddies who had decent cars - not a show winners, who won with basic chargers When there was way more deserving cars A original owner 1971 superbee with a 440 6 pack. Rare awesome car. Not even 4th place. Cool older guy. I voted for him

View attachment 1715150492
Same show,
The General Lee was in the same class as my CHP Polara, Emergency and Special Interest. The General Lee belong to metric Challenger owner who was part of the club, guess who got 1st, not me. At least I got him in the end.
2017-06-11_025.jpg

2017-06-11_027.jpg

I had my Barracuda at this show multiple times (2009-2012), clearly a top 3 car and never recognized.

2009-06-07_001.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
A highly detailed engine compartment, OEM perfect.... What's with the parts store battery or even worse an Optima?, buy the dang reproduction battery or at least a cover.

Likewise, obvious electronic voltage regulator it an otherwise OEM engine compartment.

Headers on an otherwise OEM restoration.

I can overlook a few things like the non over-spray look.

Peoples choice judging even if it is only those that have a car there.

Round Robin trophies, Fred got it last year, let Sam have it this year. Why bother.

Sponsored trophies, the one who Sponsors the trophy send somebody out to pick a car they like?

Alan
We have a big car cruise in the fall. One huge trophy is given and is judged by a different handicapped kid rvery year.

I have been going to car shows all my life. My heart is with the 60s and 70s Mopar Muscle but I have an appreciation for almost all cars. I even appreciate the lines on a lot of the ricers if they are not too gaudy and over done. I just don't like a Donk! That's just ******* ridiculous.

People are people, there are good ones and bad ones. I have only had a car to participate in shows and cruises for a couple years now, but my positive experiences definitely outweigh the negative ones. I have never won a trophy and likely never will, that is not why I built it. I do my best to have fun at the expense of those who might put down my car or offer unsolicited suggestions regarding my mistakes made during the build. I try and have fun with it.

One guy turned up his nose when I told him there was a 360 in the car. He proceeded to school me on the fact that the 360 was way heavier than a 340, at least a couple hundred pounds, and there was no way to make any real horsepower with one. He went on to state that even the 340 was pale in comparison to the 283 in the old Dart his uncle had. No, it definitely wasn't a 273, he remembers clearly! All I said was "Wow, I never knew!"

I love car shows, cruises and any automobile related events. I want my kids to be involved, and I have been drilling car show etiquette and respect for any car parked anywhere into them for their whole lives. I put over 800 miles on my car last year and I hope to do way more this year. Don't give up on the car culture because of a few shitheads! The more Mopar present, the better!

See you out there!

Cley

Some older guys that lived through the era like oem.My car is restored to look mostly stock, it's quite plain and few people even loook at it.
"Bling" is a very large and important part of the hobby and i think most people prefer it!

You know the guy that runs the one around town here up on Foster?

No I don't. I've seen a shop with some cars out front, don't know if that's the same person. They had a white 68-69 Coronet out front for a while.

-
Back