Old "B" Body Guy Joins "A" Site -Woodstock, GA

-

CudaMan

Old Car Lover
Reaction score
Greeting one and all. I am the new guy in town. I have been a "B" body guy for oh lets say 40 years but I recently ran up on a couple great barn finds. One being a 1969 Fastback Barracuda and the other being a 1965 Pontiac GTO. Being a big block "B" body guy this little grocery getter Barracuda is a lot different than my other cars and I have a ton of questions. This site is great and for once I have found an old car site that it's members are ACTIVE. A little on this 69 Barracuda would be in order to post here. Belonged to an old school teacher who purchased it new, found it in Huntsville Alabama. The car is pure bones stock with only 1 major modification I can find. Barracuda is a 318 - 2 bbl, 4 speed (Originally a 3 speed on the column), 8 3/4 rear end, White with Red interior,Ralley Dash. Car came with 2 hoods one flat plain hood the other with a raised center section and chrome inserts like came on an S code car. Interior needs a complete redo, All instruments are functional with the exception of the radio. 10 gallons of god knows how old gasoline made this car tough to get near so I have pulled the old tank, lines fuel pump and trashed. Had the original 2 barrel carb rebuilt and used a one gallon windshield washer bottle for a temp gas tank. Put a new fuel pump on plus plugs,points,condenser,cap,rotor and wires and after 25 years of setting idle she fired right up and ran like a champ. Enjoy the attached pics of the 69 Barracuda and of my "B" Body 70 GTX (440 six pack 4 speed car) and if anyone can help me out on finding a place to recondition the radio and buy a set of console mounting brackets for a 4 speed console let me know. BTW I live in Woodstock,Georgia and my name is Ron.

The new 70 GTX.jpg

69 Cuda 2.JPG

69 Cuda 1.jpg

Welcome aboard Ron. That is one good looking GTX. And it sounds like it shouldn't take too much to get the fish running and looking good also. Good luck with the build, and keep looking in the "Car Parts for Sale" section of the forums for your console brackets. Every now and then they show up for sale. Sorry, can't help you with the radio.

Great to get posts from you guys. Nice to hook up with a bunch of Motor heads the better half likes cars but I am a bit more enthusiastic than she is. Matter of fact she drove a 68 Barracuda Fastback in high school and that is what prompted me to see just what was under that pile of stuff in that garage and buy this 69. She took a look and said it "wasn't talking to her" but man when I looked under the hood and saw the V-8 then stuck my head in and saw a Hurst 4 speed shifter it was literally screaming take me home to me. I have done a bit of research with a pocket manual I purchased from Galen Govier and the fender data tag and with this 318 - (2 bbl), D-12 3 speed on the column factory setup I might have run into a somewhat rare "fish". The Govier production figures for this cars VIN and engine/tranny combo was 201 which is fairly low. Been a good year for me as I have lucked out on 3 rides which turned out to be low production number cars (A 69 Mach 1, A 72 Hurst Oldsmobile convertible and now this 69 Barracuda). Only downer of this Barracuda is since it is a low production number vehicle I am kind of stuck with White exterior Red interior if I want to keep it's factory originality. I was planning on either a B-7 Blue or Q-5 Seafoam Turquoise exterior and black interior. Oh well. I have included a pic or two of m 71 Challenger R/T I have and an taking back to original factory specs. So far I have picked up this Challenger and a GTX that both decode to having factory 4 speeds and both of them still had the swing pedal assembly still in the car with the clutch pedal tucked under the carpet. Go figure it eludes me. The Challenger presently has a set of Hurst lightning rod shifters in it, pretty strange looking in a MOPAR.

RT 1.jpg

RT 2.jpg

RT 3.jpg

Welcome Ron. Nice rides !
I hope to offer reproduction console brackets again by mid summer. I can't make any promises today though. Good luck

Welcome, Ron. You have found the right site. I love your GTX! You sure seem to have a nose for great finds...will you adopt me?

Welcome to FABO Ron, great introduction, you even posted pictures before we got a chance to hound you for them!
Beautiful cars, be sure to post progress pics on them, be it A B or E body.

Welcome Ron!

Awesome rides!

Picture of the lighting rods would be nice... I have never seen those before??

70 Dart Mike Hey those scoops on ur swinger--did they come from the US say in Missouri??

Love the GTX

on the Barracuda, if you are going to change the color Q5 with white interior would look fantastic, but I'm a fan of white with red interior

You say you have a hood with chrome, if I remember correctly they didn't use chrome on the 69 hood, but I never owned one and could be wrong. What hood does fit a 69 is a mid 70's Dart hood with the scoop.

Rare, yes, but what is the market for a 3 speed on column car? are you going to sell it? would a 4 speed have more market than 3 on tree? do what you want, enjoy the car.

Have many friends in the area, maybe sometime I'll check out your cars.

Welcome aboard Ron!!! (I know we've already been exchanging PMs but wanted to do something more formal for your welcome thread LOL)

I couldn't pick a favorite from your posted pics if I had to ... they all look awesome! But I really wanna drive the lightning shifted Challenger some time. Heh hehhhhhh

Heading out to the shop and I'll call you in a few.

Welcome Ron, FABO is a great site. Lie has already been said wards classic radio repair, he post on moparts quite abit.BTW sweet CARS!
Matt

I agree with wildcat, white with red interior? It don't get no better than dat!
WELCOME ABOARD RON

welcome CudaMan!

I'm right up the road from you in Alpharetta.

Could use more barracuda guys around here.

I'm loving the ice blue GTX, holy crap, that thing is stunning!

I've seen those lightning rod shifters before and my Wife's Cousin parked a 66 chevelle up on my property for years back in Pennsylvania as he had no place to store it where he lived.

It had a 327 with the lightning rod shifters and some steep geared rear end.

I did a good job keeping the grass from growing under it and washed and waxed it every 6 months to keep it from weathering, but my Wife's little brothers decided to bust all the windows out of it one day while I was at work, and they literally trashed the interior of the car.
I was so pissed off, even though it was a chevy, I loved those shifters he had in that thing.

Cudaspaz: Alpharetta, yep your right up the road from me. I have a buddy in the Alpharetta area I talk and swap Oldsmobile 442 stuff with (Got a 70 W-30 hardtop and 70 W-30 convertible hidden among the MOPARS). I gotta say those lightning rod shifters look pretty strange sticking out of a Dodge floor console. Mullinax wanted to see a picture of the Lightning Rods so when I have the Barracuda inthe shop this evening I will post some Happy Snaps of them. Glad this is an active forum as I have a bit to learn and parts to suss up for the 69 Barracuda.

Got the new stripes on the Challenger and thought I would share a happy snap of the new look. Only thing left to do is put the R/T on the Black hood stripe.

Challenger 1.JPG

Challenger 2.JPG

Those shifters look nice in a Mopar.

Hey don't feel bad, I was driving through powder springs today and saw a 60's model buick with a go wing and AAR stripes (no logo) , and the car was covered in sublime green.

Dude should have just bought a Mopar if he was gonna go through all that trouble.

-
Back