Old car day at work - no Mopars, though

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
We got a lot of old cars in for repair at work this week. A 1965 Olds Cutlass convertible, a 1967 (I think) GTO, and a rare 1969 Camaro Z28 with a 302 with cross ram dual carb intake. It has 22,000 actual miles and looks brand new. We were just adjusting the lash since it uses solid lifters. You can't get the valve covers off unless you take the intake off, so it got intake gaskets as well. We also installed a working factory radio and a working factory analog clock. The Olds looks nice, and is a pretty car, and only needs a few things to make it a good show car. The GTO looks like a bit of a wreck, but it is solid as can be. It sat so long the fuel system rotted away. We are installing a fuel tank, sender, and making all new lines to the pump and carb. Kind of nice to see the old cars once in a while.

69 Camaro Z28 - I think there were only a couple thousand made with these options. This is a legitimate $100,000 car. It is perfect.
View attachment Z28.jpg
View attachment Z28 cross ram.jpg
View attachment Z28 cross ram 1.jpg
View attachment Z28 rear.jpg

1965 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
View attachment 65 Cutlass.jpg

1967 Pontiac GTO
View attachment 67 GTO.jpg

Always was a fan of the earlier Z-28's with their wild cams and crossram. I will NEVER undertand how GM got those past smog certification.

Cool cars. The GTO is a rag top to boot. Sure beats the timing belt job on a Honda I did today.

The're all nice. The crossram on the Z is a "dealer installed" item. And yes they are rare. I'm jealous you get to be around all that early iron. Thanks for the pics, makes me feel like a kid again :thumleft:.

Yep, we might all bleed hemi orange, or Chrysler blue, but just being around old.muscle, regardless of the make, is a great feeling!

Always was a fan of the earlier Z-28's with their wild cams and crossram. I will NEVER undertand how GM got those past smog certification.

It's simple, what's good for General Motors is good for the USA. Plus that was before the EPA and the insurance companies castrated the automotive industry, however the tourniquet was on and the knife was being sharpened.

Cool pic's ! It's great to work on old iron, I have the pleasure of working on them everyday and love it.

There is nothing like working on old cars. It makes you appreciate the "good ole days". I just did a stick to automatic conversion and power disc brake up grade on a 55 chevy. I also rebuilt the transmission in a 36 ford. Such a pleasure!

Thats funny you mention that because the other day I worked on a camaro with the cross ram and it had 9,000 miles and was the exact same car and everything. It still had the org. plastic on the seats

Thanks for sharing !!!!!!!!! Can we go back in time??????

Had to add another. This came in yesterday and has been here before. It's a '51 Rolls Royce. We fixed it mechanically, then he took it in to a frame shop and had the rotted frame replaced. After that he had the interior redone. Now it's back for driveability problems and to fix the sticky door handles. By the way, this is a right hand drive.

View attachment 51 Rolls Royce.jpg

The're all nice. The crossram on the Z is a "dealer installed" item. And yes they are rare. I'm jealous you get to be around all that early iron. Thanks for the pics, makes me feel like a kid again :thumleft:.

If I'm not mistaken, when somebody ordered the car with cross ram, it was shipped with the car in the trunk, not installed at the factory, but dealer installed as Rick says. Probably to skirt some emissions laws.

Did they have emission laws in 1969? I know little about Chevrolet, so I buy the dealer installed stuff. It is curious why it wouldn't be factory installed, though.

Headers were available to be ordered for those cars also. I don't remember what brand they were, but same deal....they were sent with the car.

Congratulations Mopar to ya, a day or three working on these great old cars would be like vacation time around the shop :cheers:

I will quess the GTO has the strong running 389, some of them came out with what they called a tri power three carb set up, Thank you for sharing :D and enjoy these great days that memories are made of :cheers:

If you still have the Z/28 there look at the rear end and see if it has the super rare JL8 option code (factory rear disc brakes). Very very few cars opted for it.

If you still have the Z/28 there look at the rear end and see if it has the super rare JL8 option code (factory rear disc brakes). Very very few cars opted for it.

Drums in the back. I was talking to the owner. He says because the crossram is dealer installed, it is hard to get an exact number of how many were made. The car is 100% OE and perfect. The radio and clock didn't work, so he bought OE parts and has us install them. It is a beautiful car.

And a fairly regular car here, a 69 Camaro convertible with a 383 stroker. We put in cutouts and a custom built gauge package that we designed for him. It's a very fast car. I asked him when he brought it in yesterday if he wanted to line up and see whose was bigger, because I drove the Dart to work yesterday. Unfortunately, his car isn't getting done until today and I didn't drive the Dart today.

View attachment Bartleys Camaro 1.jpg

View attachment Bartleys Camaro.jpg

Excuses, excuses.

Just make sure he has a kid in the car if you do race... :joker:

You're dead. Next time I see you, just lay down, cause you're dead. Actually, I have driven this car, and was not impressed. He dyno'd at 504 hp, but it sure didn't feel like it. Even Tom said my car was faster, and he has driven both.

-
Back