Old Electronic Ignition Instructions

-

John Wymore

Reaction score
Bought a NOS points distributor off eBay a while back and the guy sent it in an old box with some original electronic ignition instructions and a couple old stickers. Pretty cool .... hopefully you guys can open up the PDF.

Attachments

• Mopar Electronic Ignition Instruction.pdf
    924 KB · Views: 163
Interesting because that which you posted is about the best written destructions I've seen. Complete with some troubleshooting hints............They go into detail about the IGN2 wiring WHICH IS WHY I am always "bitchin" about this incorrect diagram that shows the "start" wire with no explanation, and so far as that goes, is incorrect
BELOW IS INCORRECT (yellow start wire)
ecudia-jpg.jpg

ABOVE IS INCORRECT

Maybe a corrected version would be a good thing to spread around.
Thanks

Bought a NOS points distributor off eBay a while back and the guy sent it in an old box with some original electronic ignition instructions and a couple old stickers. Pretty cool .... hopefully you guys can open up the PDF.
@halifaxhops

Thanks for scanning and sharing this.

"Mighty Mopar Chrysler Performance Parts" might be mid-1970s to early 1980s.
Distributors P3690426 through P3690428 are the p-part distributors with vacuum advance that continued to be sold through the Mopar Performance era.
P3690422 - 5 may be cast iron housing race units with tach drive. Not that its important but just a matter of curiosity. The cast iron ones in the early 80s are a P4286510... and in 1983 the aluminum housing versions were offered...

Interesting that the instructions are for an ECU that requires a "dual resistor" set up.

Was wondering about that also. Maybe for a chrome box that takes a ,25 ohm one. Also solid core wire must be used. Also 20 amp switch? Most ecu's I have tested take 5 A max not running. Would like to know what box that was. Gold maybe?

@krazykuda look in that early MP book I sent you

Last edited:
Those stickers are cool! I bet they are from before the "direct connection" name was in use. So maybe early '70s. I've got a 1977 Direct Connection catalog, I'll look and see if they're in there.

See what High end ecu part numbers the gold and early chrome units. I sent Karl all my catalouges, he has a place for them they would get destroyed in my shop.

Thanks, the plot thickens. That ballast 2095501 is .5 ohm hot. Still not getting a 20 amp switch for the ignition. Overkill to be safe?

Wow, this generated a lot of conversation!! Wish I could provide more input on dates but this all came with a different (points) distributer and no ECU so I have no idea. BTW, if anyone is interested, The box it all came in was from Royal Dodge, 15095 S. Gordon, Alvin, TX, 77511.

Interesting because that which you posted is about the best written destructions I've seen. Complete with some troubleshooting hints............They go into detail about the IGN2 wiring WHICH IS WHY I am always "bitchin" about this incorrect diagram that shows the "start" wire with no explanation, and so far as that goes, is incorrect
BELOW IS INCORRECT (yellow start wire)
View attachment 1715788006

ABOVE IS INCORRECT
You sure are! Why don't you do something positive, like go eat some chinkese? LOL

-
Back