Old Hooker header coatings, and options.

-

DrEamer

I suffer from cars on the brain!
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Hooker headers awhile back and they appear to have a coating of some kind. I remember them having some type of coating from the factory maybe in the mid 80's, but can't remember what it was called. It sort of reminds me of galvanized metal more then anything. Anyway, I'm not sure how what I am going to coat them with since the surface is sort of textured. Jet-Hot has a textured coating that might work, but quoted me over $750 for the job, not including me shipping the parts to them. I can buy new coated TTI's for that. So, looking for other options, looking at Cerakote, but not sure how it will look over the texture that is there.

I don’t remember who Hooker used. Hedman used HTC, High Temp Coatings, which IIRC, there out of Connecticut. A bit of a haul and pricey on shipping.

(I had Jet Hot do an exhaust tube that ran off the rear of an exhaust manifold on a ‘79 engine. It failed Miserably.)

The only textured coating I ever had was a set of Black Jack headers with what they called (IIRC again) aluma-coat or something like that. It was like a 60 or 80 grit sand paper mixed in. The color was white.

Are you looking to duplicate this?

Alumacoat might be correct. I did find an old post on another forum that mentioned they had a set of Hooker headers with alumacoat. I'm not really wild about the finish, but part of it is coming off in a couple of spots, so I need to match, cover, or try to take it off. I really don't want the chrome like ceramic, but looking more for something like a satin black, or may go with a color that mimics a cast manifold.

I bought a pair of Hooker headers awhile back and they appear to have a coating of some kind. I remember them having some type of coating from the factory maybe in the mid 80's, but can't remember what it was called. It sort of reminds me of galvanized metal more then anything. Anyway, I'm not sure how what I am going to coat them with since the surface is sort of textured. Jet-Hot has a textured coating that might work, but quoted me over $750 for the job, not including me shipping the parts to them. I can buy new coated TTI's for that. So, looking for other options, looking at Cerakote, but not sure how it will look over the texture that is there.
Had a set of Hookers I bought in the early 90s that were called TBC coated. Stood for Thermal Barrier Ceramic coating. Not sure if that might be what you have or not.

I have a set of the standard garbage headers @ 1-5/8 that I use on my test engine stand. Once the factory protective shipping paint burned away, I finished stripping them down to bare metal and used 2000* primer, 2000* black paint and then a 2000* clear.

It is not yet tested and may be a while. They look a little weird being shinny like a candy coated apple.

DC111716-244B-43E1-BD71-4B484E7574E8.jpeg

i would blast them real clean and use the Cerakote , I seen a set done over 2 years ago on a daily driven truck winter and summer and they are still perfect looking . i think the Cerakote is proving out fairly well .

i would blast them real clean and use the Cerakote , I seen a set done over 2 years ago on a daily driven truck winter and summer and they are still perfect looking . i think the Cerakote is proving out fairly well .

I did have them blasted, and the original coating is not coming off without a fight. We have a local guy that does both powder coating a Ceracoat, so I may have to give him a call.

-
Back