Old HP magnum 383-440 cam???

-
I think I may actually stab that Magnum cam in my 451. I bet it'll set my eyeballs back in my skull. With the HP manifolds and a 3.23 gear, that's all I'll ever need. Probably be a really good runnin engine.

The deal with the stock Magnum cam is that it retains most of the low end torque. This can make a four speed A-body a little tricky to come off the line without LOTS of tire spin...... We have actually consider MORE cam in my son's Dart for this very reason.

The deal with the stock Magnum cam is that it retains most of the low end torque. This can make a four speed A-body a little tricky to come off the line without LOTS of tire spin...... We have actually consider MORE cam in my son's Dart for this very reason.

....but that might reduce tire spin.

Maybe this solves the mystery of why I saw so many 383 magnums suck a non HP 440's headlights out back in the early 80's..

Maybe this solves the mystery of why I saw so many 383 magnums suck a non HP 440's headlights out back in the early 80's..

Suck headlights out. That's a goodun. That's better than blowed the doors off.

....but that might reduce tire spin.

That's kinda the idea. I would rather have tire spin when I WANT IT, not when just trying to accellerate a bit. It got real dicey when we had the heads rebuilt, but with the shortblock getting a little tired it's better now. I gave up daily burnouts back in the 70s.........

That's kinda the idea. I would rather have tire spin when I WANT IT, not when just trying to accellerate a bit. It got real dicey when we had the heads rebuilt, but with the shortblock getting a little tired it's better now. I gave up daily burnouts back in the 70s.........

Jim retard the cam , it'll move the powerband up , just make sure the springs in the heads can handle the extra RPM

John, I guess I could. All these years playing with cars I've never messed with cam timing. Then again, I've never looked for that extra tenth, just built fun drivers and never worried about it. I'm still working on deciding which cam to run in the Barracuda....

-
Back