old keys

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
has anyone run into the problem of hardware stores and even some lock stores do not having the old style key blanks?

I went to a local lock smith place and the girl there wanted to use a GM key blank to copy a Chrysler key for my valiant.

she was like "it doesn't really matter what it looks like if it works"

I disagree because I am not using a GM key on my mopar.....wont happen!!!

has anyone run into the problem of hardware stores and even some lock stores do not having the old style key blanks?

I went to a local lock smith place and the girl there wanted to use a GM key blank to copy a Chrysler key for my valiant.

Agreed. I couldn't find any locally but I didn't try at the professional locksmith shops. I picked up a couple at a swap meet and had them cut. I believe these are what you may need. tmm Mega Parts USA - Reproduction, NOS and Used Mopar Muscle Car Parts

[/QUOTE
I ran into same problem- stopped at auto glass for different problem. Asked the lady there if there was a locksmith nearby and explained the blanks I was looking for. She said there business was once a used car lot and they had blanks in the attic. Gave me some mopar blanks but I bet I could buy the rest. Just don't know what a fair offer would be. Think they even had some Rambler blanks. Tells you they beem there a while.

May as well do it. Most Chrysler parts were either GM or Ford primary parts. Take a closer look. For years I delivered parts to all of the Big 3. Being a "Purist" isn't what you think it is. Ford and GM generally engineered the parts, Mopar Co-Opted them for cash. Anyone who tells you otherwise has never dealt with the physical parts.

Briggs and Stratton probably made them.

Most of the hardware stores, Lowes, etc around here still have the Pentastar Blanks in stock.

Try finding a blank in stock for a 1948 Dodge Truck. The nice older woman running the key cutter at the hardware store tried 3 times and it didn't work, she refused to charge me because they failed to match my original key (not the shape, but the actual pattern) and offered me some untouched blanks for free when I said I'd try to make one with some files.

She gave me a couple assorted blanks and I sat down with some files and made 2 copies by hand

Our local Ace Hardware stores have blanks for the old cars that have the shape of the pentastar, but no star that work on our 65 Dart wagon, and 71 Challenger...

One store even had some with different color plastic coating... So I got some in blue to match our blue Challenger...

May as well do it. Most Chrysler parts were either GM or Ford primary parts. Take a closer look. For years I delivered parts to all of the Big 3. Being a "Purist" isn't what you think it is. Ford and GM generally engineered the parts, Mopar Co-Opted them for cash. Anyone who tells you otherwise has never dealt with the physical parts.
if u go back and research, you`ll find that Chrysler engineered (came up with first) many, many, of the new developments back in the day !

rani, I see them all time on ebay !

Yes, bad enough it is called a nova once in a while, damn sure no GM key. I may hurt it's feelings even more

Doesn't really matter what the dingbat thinks might work, it's your money she's spending so it better be up to your standards

I actually hate to bring it up, but..........
I sell key blanks.
I have NOS, Reproduction and Yale blanks.
I normally set up at the Mopar Nats and I sell the hell out of them.
I got into it because I had a heck of a time finding key blanks.
Honestly, my repops look as good as my NOS. The NOS keys aren't as shiny and cost twice as much.
key.jpg

The Yale keys look and function fine, just no factory markings.
My Yale keys are old stock that I've bought over the years.
I'm hesitant to even bring it up, as I hate to ship, but I'll make an exception.
The repops are the standard Mopar keys. $5 a pair and unless you live outside the US, a $1 should get them to you.

If you need something else, P/M with what you need. There's a real good chance I have a blank.
BTW, if you have an extra, and you're willing to send it, I'll cut the key too. No extra charge.

I actually hate to bring it up, but..........
I sell key blanks.
I have NOS, Reproduction and Yale blanks.
I normally set up at the Mopar Nats and I sell the hell out of them.
I got into it because I had a heck of a time finding key blanks.
Honestly, my repops look as good as my NOS. The NOS keys aren't as shiny and cost twice as much.
View attachment 1715021091
The Yale keys look and function fine, just no factory markings.
My Yale keys are old stock that I've bought over the years.
I'm hesitant to even bring it up, as I hate to ship, but I'll make an exception.
The repops are the standard Mopar keys. $5 a pair and unless you live outside the US, a $1 should get them to you.

If you need something else, P/M with what you need. There's a real good chance I have a blank.
BTW, if you have an extra, and you're willing to send it, I'll cut the key too. No extra charge.

now that is cool

i have one key for my trunklid, and one for everything else on the car (including ignition)

if i send them both, could you cut a profile that would work on the trunk AND the rest of the car?

:popcorn:

now that is cool

i have one key for my trunklid, and one for everything else on the car (including ignition)

if i send them both, could you cut a profile that would work on the trunk AND the rest of the car?

:popcorn:
I can duplicate the keys that you have. The trunk key and ignition key are different.
If you look at the picture, you'll see that the grove on the top of the key is higher on the profile of the ignition key than the trunk key.
You will need 2 separate keys.

yeah i figured so much
one day ill have that trunk lock rekeyed to match the rest

Actually the 90's dodge truck key blank works.
Only the single bitted
yeah i figured so much
one day ill have that trunk lock rekeyed to match the rest
You'll need to find a cylinder that will accept the ignition key blank. Re-building the cylinder to the same cut won't get what you're looking for.
If you try, you won't be able to insert the ign key into the trunk cylinder and the trunk key won't slip into the ign cylinder. There is a rail in the cylinder that the key rides on.
I'm no expert, but I don't think a cylinder like that is out there.

so, were 2 keys standard on these cars?

i always just figured someone replaced my trunklid and never bothered to swap locks

so, were 2 keys standard on these cars?

i always just figured someone replaced my trunklid and never bothered to swap locks
Yep,
that way from the factory. You got 2 trunk and 2 ignition keys. When the car was new they also would have a disk with the key codes that had "record and destroy" stamped into them in the glove box with the owners manual. I've also seen where dealers would attach the disk to the key rings. Always thought that was stupid, if you lose the keys you lost the key code too.
If you have a locking glove box, your trunk key should lock that if the trunk cylinder is original.

-
Back