Old Yeller

-
I don't want to give anybody the impression that we are eating feathers instead of chicken, I just learned years ago to not spend more than I am bringing in.

Right now, by choice, I am only working enough to pay the bills and buy groceries. When the right job pops up, I will be able to spend. Also, I don't think of parts that I replace as wasted money, I have 3 sons who use most of my old parts on their stuff.

You don’t use copper on vehicle. It work hardens and will split at the seam. It will also split at the compression fitting.

BTDT and damn near lost a car over it. It’s for structural plumbing, not automotive use.

It did on a hemi that shook a lot , I just tried it temporarily for a race or two = ugly !

You don’t use copper on vehicle. It work hardens and will split at the seam. It will also split at the compression fitting.

BTDT and damn near lost a car over it. It’s for structural plumbing, not automotive use.

I did lose a car over it. Stainless but same story.

No pics yet, but working on a little weight removal. I have been busy on the boy's stuff, but pretty much finished with their stuff now... I hope.

I also bought an old tire machine for 50 bucks last week. Of course it didn't work, but after about 3 hours today it works great! It was about a 1/2 gallon low on hyd.fluid, and someone had replaced a pin with a bolt, which caused it to bind and make scary noises. I cut up an old hitch pin and drilled another cotter pin hole in it, and now we can change our own tires, pretty handy when you live out in the sticks. I will probably just buy an old bubble balancer as I see them real cheap once in a while.

Anyhow, I will probably bore/hone the 340 block next week.

Dragging this thread back out of hibernation. I finally got a little time and a little help today. We got 153lbs off the truck by removing the plate steel bed that a previous owner welded in. The wood floor is still under it, but pretty bad shape. We will be taking it out too, and I have an idea or two for putting a lighter weight floor in it. I will weigh the wood and its replacement as we proceed.

Unfortunately I won't have it going this year as planned, but have now finished a lot of stuff up that took priority, so should have a day or two a week to work on it.

A skilsaw, a short handle sledge, and a couple of pry bars,
and now the old wood bed is out!

What I could weigh of it, is slightly over 45 lbs. That is not all loss though because I have to put in a replacement. If my hick idea works it should come in under 30lbs.

Chipping away at it slowly..... and having fun!!!

Old yeller...????...
Screenshot_20201007-093833.png

:D...

A skilsaw, a short handle sledge, and a couple of pry bars,
and now the old wood bed is out!

What I could weigh of it, is slightly over 45 lbs. That is not all loss though because I have to put in a replacement. If my hick idea works it should come in under 30lbs.

Chipping away at it slowly..... and having fun!!!

I did this one in pine, plenty light vs the old oak.
This is my old 71 D100

qAWMZ7.jpg

I did this one in pine, plenty light vs the old oak.
This is my old 71 D100

View attachment 1715608338

Mine will never look that nice!
Before I put a bed floor back in, I need to to a good spray down to clean it up a little.

I plan on mounting some sort of fuel tank under the bed too. I do not like it in the cab with me, especially in these days when people find that looking at the road interferes too much with their texting.

I also see a few lbs that can come out easier with no floor in the bed.

Before I put a bed floor back in, I need to to a good spray down to clean it up a little.

I plan on mounting some sort of fuel tank under the bed too. I do not like it in the cab with me, especially in these days when people find that looking at the road interferes too much with their texting.

Some pictures would be nice...

leave it open,put a tarp over the top of the bed rails and louvers in the tail gate...or just a flat piece of steel with louvers

Mine was in about the same shape as your bed, lots of sanding.

Well it took me a while to get those dividers that go between the wood planks out, but they are history. Only one of them was worth saving. I am out of acetylene, so I had to use a cutoff wheel in my die grinder to cut the carriage bolts.

Another 11 lbs gone.

Last edited:
Old gal looks solid, though.
Wouldn't it be fun to meet at Jabs and we could run 'em "out of town".... Ole Yeller against the Drag Truck 2021 ? Jabs supplies the Pizza !~~ :D :D

Start the thread, and we'll make it happen!

Not much time today, but I was able to remove a few brackets and the parking brake cables and lever. Not much loss, but another 14 lbs gone.

I did find out that some really aggressive bits I have for my die grinder made short work of some frame rivets. That will help as I go on.

Not much time today, but I was able to remove a few brackets and the parking brake cables and lever. Not much loss, but another 14 lbs gone.

I did find out that some really aggressive bits I have for my die grinder made short work of some frame rivets. That will help as I go on.
It's so much fun cutting and unbolting weight. Contagious, actually.

I always liked the side lever, hand-pull E-brake on those truck.

Cool truck! What are your plans for rear suspension? Rear end? Gear ratio? Tire size? So many questions!

Cool truck! What are your plans for rear suspension? Rear end? Gear ratio? Tire size? So many questions!

Right now I have almost zero budget, so, I will probably weld up some sort of traction bar setup with whatever is in the scrap pile. 8 3/4 stock rear end for now. I have a few gear sets, nothing ideal though. a couple or 3 sets of 3.23s,and 3.55s, and 1 set of 4.88s. Tires on it now are just regular old 31/10.5/15. I will have to do better than that for for the fun though.

A lot I do to it at first won't be that great, but it will be a fun process, and I can always change things up.

I picked up a free aluminum radiator. It will take a little work to make it fit, as it is a generic GM application. It is a 2 row about 3" thick. The inlet and outlet are on the same sides as the later aluminum water pump motors. 8lbs less than the stock one...

-
Back