older motor oil change

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
i have a fairly worn 318 that will smoke a bit while accelerating what type or weight oil shoul i try when doing oil change until i can afford rebuild i tried a additive stp and it stopped for about 1 day any suggestions

I've had very good luck by adding Lucas oil treatment to old engines. When I got my old Ramcharger it smoked and had a little knock in it. I simply replaced 1 quart of oil with a quart of Lucas during an oil change and it ran for a year up until I pulled the motor and replaced it with a turbo'd magnum. It still smoked a little on start-up, but the knock all but went away. Oil pressure improved as well. My dad, who turned me onto the stuff, swears by it.

BTW, if you do decided to use it. Mix it with one quart of oil before you poor it in the engine. This will thin it down enough to poor easily.

I have had several engines that used oil that were helped by this procedure. Change the filter,(you can use a cheep one here) top off with DEXRON transmission fluid, run on highway for about 30 minutes(no hard driving) change oil and filter with good stuff. The dexron dissolves gunk in the engine with out breaking loose any chunks that might plug the oil pickup. If it comes out REALLY nasty you might do it twice. On one of my cars it reduced oil consumption by 25%!!

I have had several engines that used oil that were helped by this procedure. Change the filter,(you can use a cheep one here) top off with DEXRON transmission fluid, run on highway for about 30 minutes(no hard driving) change oil and filter with good stuff. The dexron dissolves gunk in the engine with out breaking loose any chunks that might plug the oil pickup. If it comes out REALLY nasty you might do it twice. On one of my cars it reduced oil consumption by 25%!!
wow i really think this sounds a lil nuts proffesor ha ha can anyone say they have done such a thing

i used bar leaks oil stop leak prevention and conditioner with 10 30w but sometimes when i get low i keep a bottle of 10 40 or 50w and top it off with that runs great oil nvr looks burnt or smokes more tyhen average.

wow i really think this sounds a lil nuts proffesor ha ha can anyone say they have done such a thing

I would use 1 qt of trany fluid in my oil changes on my old wrecker, after 250,000 miles the inside of the engine looked brand new.

What kind of oil pressure is the motor running at? Try using 15w-40 or 20w-50 oil in your motor and give the Lucas oil treatment a chance. It might do the trick for you.

-
Back