Older polisher modification

-

60jerry

Reaction score
Search on this site didn’t help.

I have a twenty five year old Black & Decker 6124 polisher/buffer. It is a single speed that seems too fast to me. Does anyone know about making the polisher into an adjustable unit. I’m too cheap to buy a newer polisher.

Yes you bend the cord in half kinda like your garden hose it will slow down the electricity and your polisher will be slower .

Yes you bend the cord in half kinda like your garden hose it will slow down the electricity and your polisher will be slower .
I thought that you just use 2000 feet of cord so it would take longer for the electric to get there. Slowing it down

How many Amps does the 6124 draw?
Fan speed controllers available at HomoDepot are typically rated at around 5A Max.
1185413063816-1148427390.jpeg

Those things draw more amps than your average controller.
I used a switch from an old big electric drill...

A dimmer or a potentiometer rated for 120v/20a inline. I have done it for a turbine fan before. Just make the setup so you can plug in and you dont have to cut the cord

Buy a cheap VFD on fleagay and wire it into your box... use it on everything you want to go slower...polisher, drill press, small block Chevy......

Variac autotransformer is what I have controlling my bead roller.
Motor never gets hot.

No need to use it on a small Chevy....they're slow all by themselves!:rofl:
Sorry I haven’t responded. Spent some time shopping this morning and then sanded on the old Mopar powered Studebaker.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the wise cracks and i’m Reviewing the other useful suggestions. Thanks a bunch. If it draws less than 15 amps, there are some fan controllers available that are all set up to plug in and go.

One thing I was wondering was how these motors are wired. I don’t know much about ac electricity, but there are some motors that can’t be controlled with a variable resistance. Fortunately, today I learned from you guys that all of the shop electric motors can be controlled with a variable resistance—except the compressor and no need to slow 9t down anyway.

Thanks again

Get a gang box. Then buy a dimmer switch and wire it in. Probably more than your cheap butt wants to spend there too. lol

^^THIS^^ I've got a couple use them on soldering irons, dremel tool, just make sure you get a heavy enough dimmer

Not evident here, the box cover is for a duplex receptacle and a toggle switch

Like this

s-l225.jpg

F1JYLTVFRL5KVEQ.MEDIUM.jpg

Sorry I haven’t responded. Spent some time shopping this morning and then sanded on the old Mopar powered Studebaker.

Anyhow, I enjoyed the wise cracks and i’m Reviewing the other useful suggestions. Thanks a bunch. If it draws less than 15 amps, there are some fan controllers available that are all set up to plug in and go.

One thing I was wondering was how these motors are wired. I don’t know much about ac electricity, but there are some motors that can’t be controlled with a variable resistance. Fortunately, today I learned from you guys that all of the shop electric motors can be controlled with a variable resistance—except the compressor and no need to slow 9t down anyway.

Thanks again
Just watched a video about slowing down/speeding up a compressor. Three phase and a vfd. Hes onto something....
Ave has many entertaining tech videos.

Search on this site didn’t help.

I have a twenty five year old Black & Decker 6124 polisher/buffer. It is a single speed that seems too fast to me. Does anyone know about making the polisher into an adjustable unit. I’m too cheap to buy a newer polisher.
well if I were you I'd buy a new buffer If I remember that old buffer runs at 1800 rpm and the new compounds are not using more than around 1000 rpm. yea I'm to cheap to but if your trying to polish a car that is the way to burn it if your grinding trust me I've been there get somthing you can slow down

if you go to a hobby shop you can buy a decent rheostat that has a cord, plug and led on it for about $20, i use 1 on the fan of my gas fireplace and got one in the shop to control temperature of soldering irons and grinders that have no speed control built in, i built 1 ,by the time you buy dimmer switch, electric box ,plug and cord , you will be close on price ,and the rheostat you buy are not near as bulky

-
Back