On the cheap freindly comp?

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Regaurding this thread; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1312488#post1312488
which really gets my goat when some guys say low buck and lost sight of what low buck is.....

Anybody currently building an engine/car on the cheap, wanna have some fun?

Howz about a public build and match race. Everything must be "On the cheap" and as cheap as possible and run at the track.
Real "Poor boy racing" stuff. Nothing fancy, no roller cams & rockers, re-use of as much old stuff as possible or sanely safe.

List everything (except those secrects. Unless you dont care) like cam spec comp ratio for cost comparo's and run the track for time slips. Also, keep track of your mileage the car gets.

No changing set ups. IE; cam, carb, gear ratio. That you plan to race with.

We'll have an end of the year drag contest. I'll meet some of ya in Ga. and N.J. Run the track and strike up the grill.

Sound like fun? We should mail in results to a magazine.... or 2. LOL!

I would love to do somethin like that. But....end of the year is too soon for me. I might could do sumthin by Summer 2012. I just caint throw a lot of money at it at once. But Lord knows don't let me hold it up. LOL I like it.

I actually thought about that time frame after I hit reply.

For those how can make it at the end of the year, great.

For those just getting under way or who have just had a idea of joining this fun, Next year, 2012, 1 spring-ish, 1 fall-ish meet.

Sound good Stroker?
See ya at Commerce?

I actually thought about that time frame after I hit reply.

For those how can make it at the end of the year, great.

For those just getting under way or who have just had a idea of joining this fun, Next year, 2012, 1 spring-ish, 1 fall-ish meet.

Sound good Stroker?
See ya at Commerce?

Commerce. Reynolds is where I always go....but ifin you want Commerce. I'll see what I can do. Bein on disability and all makes it TOUGH to set deadlines for ANYTHING. Just ask slantsixdan. Took me a while to come up with that headlight bezel money. That's just how it goes. I'll try my best. My problem won't be WHERE it is it will be WHEN I can get it done.

Is my waggin or duster eligable for this....they was built on the cheap! gas mileage what gas mileage? we don't need no stinkin gas mileage it's smiles per gallon :profiler::profiler::profiler::profiler::profiler::profiler::profiler::burnout:
:profiler::profiler::profiler::profiler::profiler::profiler::profiler:

Any track in good shape is OK by me.
If you can't make a deadline with a cr, then just show up and enjoy the day.

Yes wags, enter in!

I just now thought about somethin. I am shot in the foot two ways. I am gonna use a ported head and K1 connecting rods on my slant. that knocks it outta bein a budget build right twice. lol

What if you have good stuff and just found some killer deals?
I think it could be fun if you allow that...and do a virtual race for those who aren't close (compare time slips or something)

I guess that leaves me out, going with roller cam and rockers on my 451 but I am going to use hogged out iron 915's. Dance with who ya brung I always say.:evil4:

That reminds me I gotto get with Kimmer.

I enter it,We could all post on one thread to motivate others to finish theirs .
Keep on the cheap,for example I do not think it would be fair to enter my 1974 dart that I bought for $1500.00 (have receipts for over 10k invested) and have only spent $1000.00 more and it is almost finished.
I would enter my 1972 Dart 225/6 and put in a junkyard 360 magnum and such,maybe have a cap on money allowed to build car...
TXDart

I'm still gonna try to meet the deadline and race. disqualified and all. it'll still be fun

It beats what they're doin over at mopar muscle.

sounds like fun---- just throwing out some more ideas ....

i vote for NO aftermarket heads. must be factory Chrysler iron .

NO holley dominator, must be holley 4150/4160 or Carter . single carb . Any intake allowed? -- no tunnelrams or dual carb .

Hydraulic cam only --- factory stamped rockers only ?

NO MSD or aftermarket ignition box or dist. Mopar dist. and ECU only ! any coil allowed

What about compression / race/pump gas ?

I wish i had a car to enter something like this --- sounds fun !!!

i suppose there would have to be an honor system ---some guy will show up with a 528ci motor on pump gas / old heads ... :eek:

Over a year ago I started my lo $ build when I was called by a guy that I contacted on ebay about a set of aluminum heads. I felt the price was right but did not want to put out that much for a set of bare heads.
A month later I got a call from the same guy with the speal that he had a chance to be a distributer for ----------- a well known manufacturer-distributer and if I would take a stroker kit compleate,[500cu in], heads compleate with cnc porting,roller rockers, valve covers,a one time offer at cost. His ebay feedback was good so I agreed to make the buy.About 10 days latr I recived several packages from Calif. containing the stroker kit less bearings and rings,[more expence],heads was not ported as agreed,The pistons was for a 600 inch engine. the crank and rods was correct.
The heads I had to return to Michigan where the origional purchase was made my expence. the pistons was returned to calif. 3 weeks later and a C.O.D.
package arived for close to $400.00 the cost was for machine work and freight. still no pistons It wasn't until I contacted my creditcard co some 6 weeks later.that I got any action on the pistons..Still no rings These I had to buy seperate.
I'm just thankful I have a couple buddys in the parts and machineshop buisness. I took the heads to my machineshop friend to check the flow
the first thing we discovered was the springs was for a roller cam.Add another expense.
after several hours of messing around with the valves and seats we got the flow where it was acceptable for the 7,000 RPM we was shooting for with a Hughes cam and flat tappets.I also went with their springs and crank girdle,and timeing chain.
So far my cheap 500 cu in BB has been anything but cheap.
The guy I made the purchase through says he no longer uses the mfg-dist.as for me I will use neither again.
After putting the engine togather 5 times I am on the final assembly now
hoping to degree the cam in this weekend,If I don't have to go show my boat to a prospectant buyer.
My lowest $ build was a 68 Super Bee all parts was stock except cam,rings,oil pump . times was mid to low 12's 110-115 bent a few valves but never blew it up. 7 inch slicks!!
Roscoe

What if you have good stuff and just found some killer deals?
I think it could be fun if you allow that...and do a virtual race for those who aren't close (compare time slips or something)

I say it's allowed, but, can it be beileved? If you pull a MoPar Muscle Mag unbeileveable deal like there Edelbrock headed engine for...what was it, $500 bucks....How throws/gives there engine away for $500 w/Edel. heads away?

Be honest, show a quick and easy way of making power for cheap.

Heres a thought. After market heads ok, on a absoultely stock bottom end. In exacmple, a set of Edelbrock or W2's on a '79 360 with headers and a cam. Add gear and your going baby. While the aftermarket head is not cheap, everything else is ultra cheap. Balance!

YES! Time slips! Post'em up. I can not expect a fella to drive to Ga. or N.J. from across the Mississippi. It's a bit far. But more than welcomed to join in.

I enter it,We could all post on one thread to motivate others to finish theirs .
Keep on the cheap,for example I do not think it would be fair to enter my 1974 dart that I bought for $1500.00 (have receipts for over 10k invested) and have only spent $1000.00 more and it is almost finished.
I would enter my 1972 Dart 225/6 and put in a junkyard 360 magnum and such,maybe have a cap on money allowed to build car...
TXDart

A cap on money? That's like define cheap. I think the basic idea of the thread should pevail easy enuff. You 72 Dart idea would be fine. A motor swap job could be done cheap. Then again, for ha ha's, do up the /6?

While a /6 may not get the win as fastest, it could show not only what could/can be done with the /6, but also, how cheaply it can be done for and how well it can be done.

Lets say, it runs 17's. After a few parts and tweaks, it runs 14's. Is this not a decent gain and into a respectable time frame? And with how much spent?

496dart.. i vote for NO aftermarket heads. must be factory Chrysler iron .

I think that a reasonable thing. After all, how's getting a $500 set of Edel.'s Oh wait, MoPar Muscle....LOL
Seriously speaking. I like the idea of factory only head, but like I said above. If the only big money you spent was a set of heads...then OK fine, but the rest has to be stock.

Now of course were changing intake, cam, exhaust, but then again, you don't have to. Make a list on what you did and for how much. Someone out there may want to copy this. And they'll be the first to complain if they fall way short. You run 11's, they run 14, somethings wrong. This wold make you look like a liar, real bad.

NO holley dominator, must be holley 4150/4160 or Carter . single carb . Any intake allowed? -- no tunnelrams or dual carb .

I think any intake should be allowed. I don't think a multi carb intake is found cheap. Maybe vs what they cost new, but even used and hacked, there pricey by compare to a used TorkerII 340. I just sold one to 340plot for $75 to his door (Comin soon bud!)

Lets limit the carb to OE, Edelbrock/Carter and Holley 4 bbl.'s.

Hydraulic cam only --- factory stamped rockers only ?

No, I say a mech. cam is fine as well. But if your adding on new rockers, roller or not, well, that kind of defeats cheap. We all know that a Hyd. cam can get preety stiff in terms of possible performance and it's ramp rates can be preety steep.

NO MSD or aftermarket ignition box or dist. Mopar dist. and ECU only ! any coil allowed

Na, IMO, I don't think that is fair since a MSD doesn't show any gain worthy of complainting, in ET or power out put to a degree worth bitchin about. A 6A box is inexpensive. If ya wanna really save money, Mallory boxs are cheaper, Summit boxs are cheaper even more so.

Ingnition box is fine for a change, but OE distrib is needed. What ever coil floats your boat. There cheap.

What about compression / race/pump gas ?

High test pump, AKA 93 in most states, 91 in Cali is as good as it gets right, so, 91 in Cali or other states that have that as a max.

I
wish i had a car to enter something like this --- sounds fun !!!

i suppose there would have to be an honor system ---some guy will show up with a 528ci motor on pump gas / old heads ... :eek:

No $500 darts inyour hood?

Yes, honor system! It's a freindly thing with no prize unless a "Thats-boy" (Atta-boy) is your goal. Is internet fame really where it is at?

This is a fun thing that will help out our other MoPar brothers in there quest for something they thought outta reach.

Lets see your ideas for cheap runner rules?

from top to bottom of the engine, front to rear;

Engine
Any air cleaner
Carb; OE, Edelbrock or Carter replacement, Holley. 4bbl's only
4bbl intake any kind
OE heads prefured, must note aftermarket head NO PORTING. (Not every home enthiust can do this.
OE valves
Cam, Hyd or Mech. no rollers
Exhaust....whatever! Manifold, broken manifolds, zoomies...whatever

Tranny
Stock converter prefured (They do get expensive
Shift kit OK
aftermarket shifter OK, cheaper the better
That is it!

Rearend
Aftermarket gears OK Thats it

Suspension.
S/S springs and snubber

Body
No fiberglass? Hood only? Bumper OK?
Stock fuel tank, larger gas line OK, 3/8

Cooling,
OE Rad and fan. (Viscous is fine) I'm OK with aftermarket tranny cooler.

Tires....whatever.

Full interior

Anything else? Sounds like it's being kept on the cheap?

i agree Rumble , with most of it --

on heads i still say a cheap build is factory iron heads only ---ported is up to the builder--- (whos gonna check anyway? --this is for fun ) I ported my iron heads back in the day, with a DREMEL ! and about 30 hours of labor in the back room of my house. Now THAT is budget/ low buck to me .

i like the suspension-- leafs only

i like the "Its all in fun aspect" , but there has to be some rules or you know what will happen.. ;)

$500 darts ??? I wish my friend ! not around here--- people with rusted out 4 door 74 models think they are worth $$$$$$$ .

Well I bought my 87 Ramcharger w/ a 390, Weiand Intake, holley carb, roller rockers, 727 w/ 3,200 stall and other goodies for $500....all of which will be pulled and put into my $1,000 Duster. I know the odds of that happening again are likely zero...so based on what y'all have discussed I am technically out. I love the idea though and will follow the results.

Rumblefish.....you're right on the money. We were discussin budget builds "over there" and I brought up no porting and was essentially crucified. To me, no porting levels theplaying field and makes it an assemblers and parts chooser's contest.....which in my eyes is what a budget build is in the first place.

Only other idea I might add would be maybe like handicaps. Say you gotta slant. Could we allow head porting since I am down two cylinders in comparison to most? and what about the K1 rods I plan to run? Does that knock me out? I know gettin off too much on these kinda rules will make it too complex so we need to keep it to a minimum. No hard feelins with me either way....cause If my junk is runnin, I'm gonna participate disqualified or not. lol

If weights stay close to/the same as factory bob weight, I say who care what rods you have...cause in that parameter they only hold it together, not make more hp.

On the porting thing....Well, if you have to pay for it, we all know that costs money, but so does building a motor in the 1st place, maybe a price cap on the extras, or only $200 allowed for porting.

To me porting is budget cause I'm dong it myself.jmo
And is this a builders contest or a parts vendor contest?
And how would we know if they modified something or not without tear down?

I say factory 'production' heads [do whatever you want to them], factory stroke/rod length/block/rockers.
Make it real interesting to limit exhaust to factory manifolds and a 2 1/2 pipes.
just wondering if anyone shares this view?

just thinking out loud, maybe I'm missing the idea.

I know others have to thinking this, but I'll bring it up.
One thing I have learned about racing is, the more stock, or unmodified a car is supposed to be, the more cheating there will be.
I hope this works. If it's all in fun, it should. But attitudes would have to be left at the track gate.
Maybe "LeMons" rules could lend some ideas. They seem to have fun.
Or maybe "claimer" type rules?
The nature of racing is to go fast. Some do it by the rules, some don't.
How would all of these rules, once finalized, be enforced? Or maybe I don't understand entirely, and they won't be enforced?
Bracket racing became popular because of cheating.

Don't hurt me!!!

-
Back