On the cheap freindly comp?

-
If I had the means I would take the engine out of an old police car, put it in a 71' Duster station wagon and make a couple of runs.

Then take a bunch of pictures and eat a bunch of food.

Okay rumblefish360
Here is my entry.
1974 Dart 225/6 beater 4 door
I will keep the 225 and I will keep it on the cheap.
Sounds like fun.
I bet I will not be the slowest one of the bunch and as far as funds go, it will be mainly bartering for my parts....I maybe be the cheapest of the bunch though and that will be my prize.......all my money is going to my other projects any way.
So put me down for entry number one.

And yes I agree SS, bring the /6!

What's the story on the 68 Chevelle?

Great Rob. I'm glad you didn't get piseed and scrap this. It's a great idea. And unlike some "other" forums.....everyone here is very open to the idea. I think it's cool as all hell and I will try my best to have somethin there.

Rob, I'll say it one more time baby! Bring it, run it, have fun!

Green1, your over complicating this whole thing. Way to much!

Stop right there, you got it!

Right here, you blew it.

Fine, run what ya brung. You can simply say, This expense can be cut out.

Then, IF you can complete it, great. Until then, I hope tihngs look up for ya.

NHRA ssaftey rules unless you wanna possibly hurt yourself.

And that is half of the main idea. Did ya miss what was writen? The main idea was to go fast for cheap, as cheap as possible and show ourt fellow MoPar bro's how to do it. I only written it a few times. Come on now Green!

Fun fun fun fun fun fun

as cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap

as possible!!!!

ARUGH! YA blew it again. Winning is great, being the fastest, but it's not the real target goal of this.
Everyone lines up at the tree and runs what the slapped toghter or took pains in crafting.

You worried about the things that matter least!
So haul a stock engine 5 hours, and run against a stroker, or big block? where is the fun in that?

Since there is so much contention about the rules.............

I will make the rules, with some input from the experienced members.

The first rule is.......

"This is a fun get together event"

If this were a shooting event, this would be called a "Fun Shoot"

That being said, the rules will be based on "Fundamental Fairness" & "Safety",.... nothing more, nothing less.

1) See Above

2) Big blocks run against big blocks
Small blocks run against small blocks
Sixes run against sixes
Any two drivers can choose to run against each other
(See Rule #1)

3) Engine is to be comprised of parts available from the factory, up to the last year the engine was available in a factory car or truck.
Crossover is allowed, ie.. a 340 cam in a 273.

4) What ever modifications the owner does with his own to hands is allowed, (This is the cornerstone of budget project)

5) The owner will have a log listing what he has done, what mods, what parts, how much, ect.

6) The trophy is awarded to the participant that managed the most bang for the buck, this will be decided by all present.
(if it comes down to two participants a coin toss will break the tie)

7) Tricked out cars that cost plenty to build are welcome, come on out, make some runs, shake some hands, make some friends, eat some food, have fun.
(and help judge the best budget build)

This is from memory so.........

Required.....

Helmet
Seat belt
Drive line loop
Coolant recovery vessel
Working brakes

This is all I have so far

PS: I only jumped in because this sounds like a lot of fun, and the more people that participate the better.

That is what I was talking about.

Once again ya missed the point. It's not about who is fastest. But a most improved from a base line is a target to achieve. Drive to your local track and compete via cyberspace.
How fast can ya make it go? Show me how little the amount it in getting to boggie!

If you had read this and understood that I have been saying that this is not a race of who is fastest but a compition of who can go the fastest and do it cheapest, you would not be writing that.

The idea is to run as quick as possible with as little money invested. And then showing others how to run as quick as possible for as little money as possible.

Getting togther is the fun. Running what ya brung and strikin up the grill and B.S.ing with others is the other half.

IF you want to run for anything else besides getting a "Atta-boy" from the crew, then please do so enter in the races made available at the track for that day.

While many complain that they can not afford aluminum heads due to cost and other items like roller rockers, stroker kits etc.... They still want to go fast. Is it possible? I think so. Granted, while a set of fully ported aluminum heads, roller rockers, etc.... would be great, is this really on the cheap? Maybe for you it is. For others it is not.

So, if running as quick as possible for as little as possible to showothers how it's done isn't for you, then by all means, bow out of the convo. & comp. and the rest of us will continue on from here and try to help our MoPar brothers in going fast for cheap.
(Unlike some MoPar rags that think a budget motor is a stroker with roller rockered Indy heads etc........)

One last note! If you don't want to rebuild your old mill, then don't. But then you wouldn't really build up a old mill if it wasn't up to snuff now would ya? Lets say that the old engineis decent. Reasnable cyl. pressure in all the holes. Then I say, why not. You just have to work around a low compresion mill. Can you do that? I'm gonna try with a '78 - 400 with pistons so far down the hole, it echo's!
Ok, I get the point now; insults ignored.

So haul a stock engine 5 hours, and run against a stroker, or big block? where is the fun in that?

The event is just to get together, have some fun, swap some lies,(and maybe some parts), make a few runs, eat some food, and check out what can be done with not much money & some know how.

It's a "Run For Fun" event.

The challenge is who managed to put together a unit for not much money, and got the most bang for buck.

It's not a race.

What's the story on the 68 Chevelle?
StrokerScamp 1969 Chevelle I sold it to support my Dart addiction.
It has been behind my shop for 4 1/2 years owner abandoned it , I got the 307 running and sold it.
Massive rust under vinyl top,no interior...Not near as pretty as yours..
TXDart

Got Parts for my ENTRY.
Craiglist Score again.....
Here the ad.I bought almost everthing listed,Give details and prices tomorrow after work

CRAIGSLIST AD:
Mopar have parts and need parts
Date: 2011-03-24, 10:01PM

What I have:
Fresh, never run machined 225 slant six .030 over block w/fresh crank. Stock cam. Been sitting inside, clean it up & run it.
.030 over pistons, on fresh rods, never run.
Somewhere around here I have some .060 225 pistons, NOS.
Slant six head, milled .100, machined, engine builder stainless valves, never run. Sitting inside, clean it up & run it.
NOS Clifford slant six aluminum intake in box.
NOS Mopar Performance complete high performance cam kit for slant six.
High performance dual exhaust manifolds for slant six, never run.
Used but good oil pans for slant six ~ one car, one truck
833OD 4-speed overdrive manual trans, conversion for putting into A body started (comes with info).
Slant six bellhousing
Flexplate, new clutch & pressure plate

PURCHASED EVERYTHING ABOVE

DID NOT PURCHASE FOLLOWING ITEMS
New small block B-body headers.
New big block into A body Schumaker kit.
Used Mad Dog 383-400 A body headers, good condition.
Used factory later model police cast iron small block 4-barrel intake
Used Edelbrock aluminum 383-400 4-barrel intake
Used aluminum small block Edelbrock performer intake...

...and more. I know I'm forgetting stuff.
WHAT I NEED:
Clear TX title & tag for 70s Duster or Dart Sport ~ interested in whole car as need be.
Running chrysler/dodge/plymouth '70s-'80s parts car with good slant six or small block and good automatic trans... needs to drive here. No title is fine.
...and more.
My brain's farting out.
OPEN to interesting projects, parts & trades, '60s & '70s American... not necessarily Mopar. Tell me what you need of mine & what you have to trade.
Or we can talk cash. Also into guitars. We'll work something out. I NEED TO MAKE SOME ROOM.
ALSO a friend has a '69 casting 440 HP-stamped block WITH heads, crank, and a bucket of pistons & internals.. Thanks!

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Original URL: http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/2285027571.html

Green, sorry, I am getting a bit fustrated repeating myself. I'm sorry there dude. My bad, Ya can yell at me in person if ya show up. Juststart with, give me a soda and I'll fetch it for ya so your throat dont dry up on me. ;)

Rob (SS) I'm OK, just posting while tired is stupid. I'm into this idea.

I got Bubba 71 Duster for $800. I picked up a 78 Cordoba a while back for parts for my Magnum. It came with a 400 engine. I'm gonna raid that engine for the Duster and re-use the B body headers. From a fella here, no longer posting I think, went to the dark side????? --- He gave me a Holley Street Dominator. (Low level single plane intake) I got a electric choke TQ (800 cfm model) for $100 bucks from a member here sometime ago. So far, these are the only mods made.

I'll need to get a rad. to cool it, (I wonder if a 340 rad would do it?) a driveshaft and a rear end to complete the car to driveable staus. Some tires to run on. I don't think those 225/70/14's are gonna hold much power.

Rumble, and others, please forgive me if I'm being thick headed. (I'm good at that.) :joker: From what I see developing, this would be a good time. BS, grille, etc.
It's been said here that it's just for fun and no racing. If this is so, why do the cars have to be low-buck? Sounds like a test and tune day, with all participants sharing knowledge, having fun and maybe a grudge match or two.
If a guy shows with a mega dollar car (certainly not me!), what's it matter?

This thread devolped from a posting from Stroker Scamp's Thread where he gave a ***** and a LOL at MoPar Muscles "Budget Big Block" write up. After reading the article on this "Budget build" many of us LOL! At the magazine for the word "Budget" Which brings up thoughts of at least inexpensive if not cheap.

Lets be honest and say that the mass amounts of people reading that key word hoped to see a realitivly inexpensive build, not a roller cam, roller rockered Indy headed engine.

Being that many can not afford to purchase big dollor go fast parts, this thread and main idea of this thread is to;

Go as fast as you can for as little as possible. Show of your cheapness and go as fast as you can. Make a list of every mod and expense in how you and what you did as to show opthers that going fast can be done inexpensivley.

Mega dollr cars fial the comp. instantly, but, are more than welcome to show up and enjoy the day! Why the heck not?! More the merry.

Speed, I thought I wrote this a few times allready, but, here it is again....at least that lilvoice in my head sez so.

Speed, above you post is my rolling account of my cheapness so far.

An $800, '71 Duster
My Magnum's 400/727 which I got from an $800, '78 Cordoba

Cheap so far?

True. Working on getting a 8-3/4 now. That expense and a driveshaft and a rad just to get the car rolling.

From there, the go fast shepness is on!

Wish I could getcha in on something.

-
Back