On the cheap freindly comp?

-
496, LOL, I agree and 1W&CG, I agree also.

OK, OE iron heads only. IF you port them, then show us how and what ya did for our fellow MoPar brothers to copy for themselfs, or for you to do for them.

Speed, this is a freindly contest for fun and showing others how to have fun "ON THE CHEAP" as cheap as possible.

AGAIN, THERE IS NO PRIZE!!!!!!!

The rules above are to help limt the "Cheapness" of the builds since my pockets could be deeper than yours, but shallow next to someone elses. What is cheap to you?

SS, bring the /6! It's for fun right? 1W&CG said it right, the rods are not producing power, just holding it all togther. OK, Bob weight isssues. small peanuts IMO since this is for fun.

The main idea again is to have fun as cheaply as possible and to show others what could be done, for as few bucks as possible.

I don't understand why this is such a hard thing? Run what ya brung and show off on how cheap ya did it. The less spent, the better.

(This is turning bad I thnk.)

Adam, run it! Ya scored a deal. OK, so it's like the mag's deal, but like ya said, how often do you run into deals like that?

That sounds cool....and I wasn't tryin to make it hard....I just wanna follow the rules. whatever they turn out to be. and far as I'm concerned....run what you brung. But if you brung sumthin you know is outside the paramaters, just say so.....you can still participate.....just be honest. Since there's no prize, it's all for fun. I got this Chevelle I'm workin on fixin to take off so that's gonna eat into a lot of my time so i don't even know if I'll make it, but I'll BE there regardless. Wherever that is. LOL

IDK bro. I figured something esay to do. Key word "Cheap" and "For fun" seem to allready gone out the window for me.

With that thread you have and bustin Mopar muscle on there "Budget stroker Indy headed rolle rockered big block. I figured, lets have some fun and do some chit as cheap s possible and list it up to show the crew here what can be done.

Now people are writin and PMing me, How much money if I win?

OMG! I'm done !!!!!!!!

Then, everybody wants rules. WTF!!!!!!!!

Rules are cheap!!!!!!!

As in poor man cheap!

IDK whats so hard about that, but i guess everybody has buckets of money to spend and wants rules and rehgulations, money caps, and....what next.

This turned out shitty. Bad idea on my part.

I dont have a car anymore, but if someone wants to do this, Im game for building an engine for them. I'll keep the labor to a minimum and hope for some press on this deal. small block, big block it does not matter to me as long as its a Mopar!

Mike Liston
[email protected]
517-569-2672

Heres a "On the Cheap version" I plan to do.

I got a '71 Duster from fellow member Bubba. No engine or tranny, manual steering & brake /6 car.

A few years back, in hunting for parts for my Magnum, I came across a '78 Cordoba w/a 400 for $800.

Swing the 400/4bbl - 727 into the car and reuse the B body headers, which happen to be headman eleites. But the cheaper versions could be used.

I'll need to find a 8-1/4 or prefur the 8-3/4 and have a driveshaft fabbed up.

I'll spend the big money on the rear and a new rad. b'cause there is none. On the engine, I traded parts and got a Holley street Dominator. A TQ sits on top, a electric choke smnall primary version for, IIRC, $100.

Should I get a rear for this and have a few bucks left in the pocket, I'll get a cam and call it a day.

Sound like a "On the Cheap" project good enuff for this?

Whats your take?

Mike!!!, that is really stand up of you to do so. That is in the spirt oh so missing from the world today. I tip my hat to ya. Thank you! VERY much!

Also a pleasure speaking to you on the phone. And thanks for the help.

I would guess this expense is somewhat excuseable since a good foundation is what we all shold have. And if you allready have one, all the better.

Half the reason of this fun idea is half the posters complain that they can not afford aluminum heads. If there short block is in good shape, then half the battle ($$$) is won!

How about a simpler set of rules? Something like;

Stock OE iron heads and valve sizes that came in the head.

Porting?

No porting. I'd prefur no porting since it is an extra expense many might not have. If you port it, TELL US, SHOW US! If you have SOME ONE DO IT, tell us, show us.
Home porting should be mild. Like bowl work, flashing.
No expoy or welding.

Milling OK.

Stock converter in the trans, shift kit OK, and thats it.

You can change;

Air cleaner
carb
intake
cam
rear gears
tires

Moving shifter to floor is OK. Lokar cables are fine, there not a HP adder.
Cage if you think you need it. Subframe connectors are OK as well.
Tire size as you see fit.

Rob, that's fine with me. I wasn't tryin to make it difficult.....I'll be there with or without sumthin....whenever we figure out where the "there" will be. Hell, I may just get the 170 runnin in my Dart and bring it. LOL

sounds like fun, but; the handicap must be figured first. Take my 70, on jackstands since 1987. Stock 340, iron heads, but has a Dana and 4 link. It won't compete with strokers, etc. It will compete with other 340's. Like other guys, laid off, no $.
What are the safety rules? That adds weight,
I like the idea; guys coming together, to race, and bs. But HP to Weight won't work, as we are all modified. Maybe a dial-in? And run against the tree?

Rob, I'll say it one more time baby! Bring it, run it, have fun!

Green1, your over complicating this whole thing. Way to much!

sounds like fun, but;

Stop right there, you got it!

the handicap must be figured first.

Right here, you blew it.

Take my 70, on jackstands since 1987. Stock 340, iron heads, but has a Dana and 4 link.
Fine, run what ya brung. You can simply say, This expense can be cut out.

It won't compete with strokers, etc. It will compete with other 340's. Like other guys, laid off, no $.
Then, IF you can complete it, great. Until then, I hope tihngs look up for ya.

What are the safety rules? That adds weight,

NHRA ssaftey rules unless you wanna possibly hurt yourself.

I like the idea; guys coming together, to race, and bs.

And that is half of the main idea. Did ya miss what was writen? The main idea was to go fast for cheap, as cheap as possible and show ourt fellow MoPar bro's how to do it. I only written it a few times. Come on now Green!

Fun fun fun fun fun fun

as cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap

as possible!!!!

But HP to Weight won't work, as we are all modified. Maybe a dial-in? And run against the tree?

ARUGH! YA blew it again. Winning is great, being the fastest, but it's not the real target goal of this.
Everyone lines up at the tree and runs what the slapped toghter or took pains in crafting.

You worried about the things that matter least!

Rumble, I love the idea. Wish I wasn't so far away. My cheap 318 ran good enough to surprise a lot of people even with stock 1.78 intakes. Keep after this concept, racing should be more grass roots than it is.

Thanks bro. Race it at a track near you and fill us in.

Again, this is not a race, it's a compotion. (SP!) I'm so used to just writing Comp. Jezzz!

AGAIN, who can go fast on the cheap! ;)

I ran it all last season at our local Club Clash series at Bandimere. Best 13.34@100. The track altitude is 5800', and the density alt. is usually 9000. Never touched it all season.

Rob, I'll say it one more time baby! Bring it, run it, have fun!

Green1, your over complicating this whole thing. Way to much!

Stop right there, you got it!

Right here, you blew it.

Fine, run what ya brung. You can simply say, This expense can be cut out.

Then, IF you can complete it, great. Until then, I hope tihngs look up for ya.

NHRA ssaftey rules unless you wanna possibly hurt yourself.

And that is half of the main idea. Did ya miss what was writen? The main idea was to go fast for cheap, as cheap as possible and show ourt fellow MoPar bro's how to do it. I only written it a few times. Come on now Green!

Fun fun fun fun fun fun

as cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap cheap

as possible!!!!

ARUGH! YA blew it again. Winning is great, being the fastest, but it's not the real target goal of this.
Everyone lines up at the tree and runs what the slapped toghter or took pains in crafting.

You worried about the things that matter least!

So the rest off us run old tired iron, against strokers, big blocks, etc; where is the fun?

I would love to meet members in here, but why bring an old 70 340 to get beat by a car that has a 440, with $10000 in it? That is not my idea of fun.

I would love to meet members in here, but why bring an old 70 340 to get beat by a car that has a 440, with $10000 in it? That is not my idea of fun.
because there is no prize,its a chance for a road trip and to meet people on here face to face,and to race our cars in a FRIENDLY competition.the reality is your not the fastest nor am i.and im ok with that.i know i can be cheap and quick enough,as well as have fun doing it.

Okay rumblefish360
Here is my entry.
1974 Dart 225/6 beater 4 door
I will keep the 225 and I will keep it on the cheap.
Sounds like fun.
I bet I will not be the slowest one of the bunch and as far as funds go, it will be mainly bartering for my parts....I maybe be the cheapest of the bunch though and that will be my prize.......all my money is going to my other projects any way.
So put me down for entry number one.

And yes I agree SS, bring the /6!

Attachments

• dart2 001.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 136
Sounds like a fun idea, going to be building my own budget 440 this spring. I'm not going to guess a time, just hope it doesn't explode the first time I start it :)

Posted by rumblefish360

I figured, lets have some fun and do some chit as cheap s possible and list it up to show the crew here what can be done.

Now people are writin and PMing me, How much money if I win?

OMG! I'm done !!!!!!!!

Then, everybody wants rules. WTF!!!!!!!!

Rules are cheap!!!!!!!

As in poor man cheap!

IDK whats so hard about that, but i guess everybody has buckets of money to spend and wants rules and rehgulations, money caps, and....what next.

This turned out shitty. Bad idea on my part.
wow..........

I just wanted to show those monkeys at mo mag that the knowledgeable, hands on guys here, on this forum,
could, on a budget, put together an impressive unit that would raise a few eyebrows.

But the truth is this is a big country and our members are spread all over it.

Which brings up another point.............

Posted by rumblefish360
We'll have an end of the year drag contest. I'll meet some of ya in Ga. and N.J. Run the track and strike up the grill.
Since Georgia & New Jersey are close by for some, and far away for others, we can all have fun, and share our experiences
by posting photos & text here in this forum.....here is how....

North-South-East-West Divisions

original.jpg

Don't make fun of this map
I made it by running my mouse along a ruler.

I'm sure a member here can post a proper map

Before someone asks, "if you can make the trip, you can participate in any division you choose"

I will kick in four trophies representing the four points of the compass with some text.

I'll make the trophies, there is a granite counter top place right around the corner, they have plenty of small pieces they just toss.
With that for a base I'll handle the rest.

Because we have this forum we can all share the stories and photos, maybe some videos here.

I suggest this approach because the more people that participate, the more fun, and the more stories and pics will be posted here.

Since there is so much contention about the rules.............

I will make the rules, with some input from the experienced members.

The first rule is.......

"This is a fun get together event"

If this were a shooting event, this would be called a "Fun Shoot"

That being said, the rules will be based on "Fundamental Fairness" & "Safety",.... nothing more, nothing less.

1) See Above

2) Big blocks run against big blocks
Small blocks run against small blocks
Sixes run against sixes
Any two drivers can choose to run against each other
(See Rule #1)

3) Engine is to be comprised of parts available from the factory, up to the last year the engine was available in a factory car or truck.
Crossover is allowed, ie.. a 340 cam in a 273.

4) What ever modifications the owner does with his own to hands is allowed, (This is the cornerstone of budget project)

5) The owner will have a log listing what he has done, what mods, what parts, how much, ect.

6) The trophy is awarded to the participant that managed the most bang for the buck, this will be decided by all present.
(if it comes down to two participants a coin toss will break the tie)

7) Tricked out cars that cost plenty to build are welcome, come on out, make some runs, shake some hands, make some friends, eat some food, have fun.
(and help judge the best budget build)

This is from memory so.........

Required.....

Helmet
Seat belt
Drive line loop
Coolant recovery vessel
Working brakes

This is all I have so far

PS: I only jumped in because this sounds like a lot of fun, and the more people that participate the better.

Once again ya missed the point. It's not about who is fastest. But a most improved from a base line is a target to achieve. Drive to your local track and compete via cyberspace.
How fast can ya make it go? Show me how little the amount it in getting to boggie!

If you had read this and understood that I have been saying that this is not a race of who is fastest but a compition of who can go the fastest and do it cheapest, you would not be writing that.

The idea is to run as quick as possible with as little money invested. And then showing others how to run as quick as possible for as little money as possible.

Getting togther is the fun. Running what ya brung and strikin up the grill and B.S.ing with others is the other half.

IF you want to run for anything else besides getting a "Atta-boy" from the crew, then please do so enter in the races made available at the track for that day.

While many complain that they can not afford aluminum heads due to cost and other items like roller rockers, stroker kits etc.... They still want to go fast. Is it possible? I think so. Granted, while a set of fully ported aluminum heads, roller rockers, etc.... would be great, is this really on the cheap? Maybe for you it is. For others it is not.

So, if running as quick as possible for as little as possible to showothers how it's done isn't for you, then by all means, bow out of the convo. & comp. and the rest of us will continue on from here and try to help our MoPar brothers in going fast for cheap.
(Unlike some MoPar rags that think a budget motor is a stroker with roller rockered Indy heads etc........)

One last note! If you don't want to rebuild your old mill, then don't. But then you wouldn't really build up a old mill if it wasn't up to snuff now would ya? Lets say that the old engineis decent. Reasnable cyl. pressure in all the holes. Then I say, why not. You just have to work around a low compresion mill. Can you do that? I'm gonna try with a '78 - 400 with pistons so far down the hole, it echo's!

The first rule is.......

"This is a fun get together event"

If this were a shooting event, this would be called a "Fun Shoot"

Theres the idea and spirt of it all.

2) Big blocks run against big blocks
Small blocks run against small blocks
Sixes run against sixes
Any two drivers can choose to run against each other
(See Rule #1)

LOL, everybody runs against everybody. Again, fastest not being the key item, but as fast as possible while being the cheapest SOB out there is! LOL!

3) Engine is to be comprised of parts available from the factory, up to the last year the engine was available in a factory car or truck.
Crossover is allowed, ie.. a 340 cam in a 273.

This can get sticky since W2's were available for S/B's. OE equipment would be better. Though I also like the idea of useing a W2 on a low compresion mill as one of the very few mods possible.
Also, what ever mod you cn do or intake you can purchase, use. Lets not limit the part used, but limit the expense of it. I'm not putting a cap on price or amount of money spent. But that is the theme.

In example, you have a '69 - 318, and you wanna use a '79 - 360 intake and heads, do it. Or a Single plane M1 or Holley strip Dominator, do it.
Screw limitations. Just think "I'm a broke bastard" or a "I'm a cheap SOB" and your on it good!

4) What ever modifications the owner does with his own to hands is allowed, (This is the cornerstone of budget project)

I agree. Though, it should be repeatable with ease by newbies. This is where I suggest "No Porting" though even a newbie can do some clean up by themselfs.

5) The owner will have a log listing what he has done, what mods, what parts, how much, ect.
Yes! Absoultely, so others can copy it themselfs! The main idea of it all.

6) The trophy is awarded to the participant that managed the most bang for the buck, this will be decided by all present.
(if it comes down to two participants a coin toss will break the tie)
I'm not sure if a trophy is a wise thing. A prize allways brings out the worsed in people as well as the best in competeing for it. Enter, the catch 22.

7) Tricked out cars that cost plenty to build are welcome, come on out, make some runs, shake some hands, make some friends, eat some food, have fun.
(and help judge the best budget build)

MORE THE MERRY!

This is from memory so.........

Required.....

Helmet
Seat belt
Drive line loop
Coolant recovery vessel
Working brakes

NHRA Saftey rules! No one should get hurt!

PS: I only jumped in because this sounds like a lot of fun, and the more people that participate the better.

Yes yes yes yes, (Jumps up and down pinting a finger at Machineman!) That's it thats it! :toothy8:

TXDart, BRING IT BABY! BRING IT! Whoo-Hooo!

-
Back