one brake light out, all others work

-

evans68cuda

Reaction score
hey everyone, my driver side brake light on my 68 barracuda does not work, but both of the tail lights turn on with the headlights, and both turn signals work. I had been doing some research on here and saw someone say if a brake light is out and the wire looks good it could be a turn signal switch, Any ideas? also the hazards do not work, if that helps.

Total possibility that it is the turn switch, because power from the brake light switch needs to be interrupted for the signals to work when they are turned on.
That interruption happens in the turn switch.

Betcha /6 Dan can fix you up.

Total possibility that it is the turn switch, because power from the brake light switch needs to be interrupted for the signals to work when they are turned on.
That interruption happens in the turn switch.

Betcha /6 Dan can fix you up.
cool, I'll start with replacing the turn switch

And sometimes you can repair OEM switches. When the 4 ways are being used, a lot of current is passing thru the contacts in the switch. Sometimes the contacts will melt into the nylon below the wiper, and then they don't work.This can be repaired without removing the entire sw,with a drop of solder on the contact and then file it flat. Now you might be good to go.
But I don't use the 4-ways anymore on my 68 Barracuda, cuz it's a PITA getting into the switch.
Also should be mentioned that the bulb could be defective, swap it over to the other side. If the issue follows the bulb,replace it,and try again.

And sometimes you can repair OEM switches. When the 4 ways are being used, a lot of current is passing thru the contacts in the switch. Sometimes the contacts will melt into the nylon below the wiper, and then they don't work.This can be repaired without removing the entire sw,with a drop of solder on the contact and then file it flat. Now you might be good to go.
But I don't use the 4-ways anymore on my 68 Barracuda, cuz it's a PITA getting into the switch.
Also should be mentioned that the bulb could be defective, swap it over to the other side. If the issue follows the bulb,replace it,and try again.
tried the bulb already and it was not it :( just weird that the running light and turn signal both work on the RR but no brake light

tried the bulb already and it was not it :( just weird that the running light and turn signal both work on the RR but no brake light
After the turn signal switch, the same wire, bulb filament, and ground path operates brake and turn.
So the turn signal switch is the fault and this fault is/was common to every vehicle that used the single 1157 bulb at rear. Nothing weird about it to some of us older service techs.
I see the little 3 inch square brake lamp lens on a 68 B'cuda as weird / far less than adequate for a passenger vehicle. A dang utility trailer has as much brake lamp.
I see a high mount 3rd brake lamp as a proactive addition to any classic, especially this example.
One more suggestion... Contact Daniel Stern Lighting and buy a quality signal switch. Those cheap ebay switches are crap. Good luck

After the turn signal switch, the same wire, bulb filament, and ground path operates brake and turn.
So the turn signal switch is the fault and this fault is/was common to every vehicle that used the single 1157 bulb at rear. Nothing weird about it to some of us older service techs.
I see the little 3 inch square brake lamp lens on a 68 B'cuda as weird / far less than adequate for a passenger vehicle. A dang utility trailer has as much brake lamp.
I see a high mount 3rd brake lamp as a proactive addition to any classic, especially this example.
One more suggestion... Contact Daniel Stern Lighting and buy a quality signal switch. Those cheap ebay switches are crap. Good luck
what could be another possibility before I replace the switch? If the same wire controlls the turn signal, running light, and brake light, then it would have to be, right? my hazards do not work if that helps

I would check voltage, in this case use a test lamp....right there at the column TS connector. If you don't have it there when the problem exists, then it's the TS switch itself.

-
Back