"One-way" fuel line valve..?

-
Here's what says the FSM about ECS carburetors :
ECS carb.jpg
I don't know what's a "bleed device which prevents build-up of pressure in the fuel line between the pump and the carb", but if it helps for hot startings*, maybe it makes cold starts more difficult.

* It's true that when my engine is hot, it starts instantly without touching the gas pedal.

Engine cold and choke on, it needs a series of three crankings of about 5 seconds each (with 10 seconds interval between them) to start.
Maybe that I'm too much demanding and such starting procedure is normal :)

Last edited:
I depress the gas pedal full way to engage the choke. And while cranking, I hold the pedal half way. I try avoid pumping
Do you still get fast idle? I press the pedal to the floor to set the choke and fast idle and crank to start. You may be hurting yourself by the half way to the floor thing.

Yes, as soon as the engine starts, the idle is fast (circa 1000/1200 rpm - no tachometer). I let it running 20 or 30 seconds, then I give a brief impulsion onto the pedal, the choke disengage and the idle drops down circa to 650 rpm. The engine doesn't die, the idle is smooth and regular.

You start with the gas pedal fully depressed? I can try that

Yes, as soon as the engine starts, the idle is fast (circa 1000/1200 rpm - no tachometer). I let it running 20 or 30 seconds, then I give a brief impulsion onto the pedal, the choke disengage and the idle drops down circa to 650 rpm. The engine doesn't die, the idle is smooth and regular.

You start with the gas pedal fully depressed? I can try that
Yes, The carb accelerator pump gives a full squirt of fuel that way.

Pumping squirts gas, which sounds like you need to start cold.
You probably need a new pump.

Maybe, my pump is original and 53 years old. But it delivers 5 psi at idle. So, I don't know if it's shot.

Yes, The carb accelerator pump gives a full squirt of fuel that way.

I will try to start with the gas pedal fully depressed. Thanks

Carbs haven't been a production item for 40ish years, so some folks have prob never owned/driven a carbed car, or read the manual, and prob forgot what may have been passed down, so pls bear with me.
A carb uses " venturi" vacuum, the flow of air being passed thru the carb to "suck" fuel into the carb throats.
It also has a little "squirter" (accelerator pump) that give a shot of raw fuel into the throat of the carb to give spark something to fire before venturi can suck any fuel. (other reasons too) .

To start an overnight cold engine, and normal daily driver, I was taught, and have always given the pedal 2 small pumps to set the choke, and that also shoots a coupla short shots of raw fuel for the spark plugs to fire, - otherwise cranking will be required to suck fuel by venturi into the carb throat.
The closing of the choke (if equiped) helps create the "low pressure" nec to suck, but the squirts of raw fuel short-cut the wait.
Fuel injection by itself uses a pressurized system to supply that squirt electronically every time the spark plugs fires.
The shots if raw fuel also help on a hot engine, not full depressions of the pedal, just a coupla taps, not to set choke, as it will not close hot, but to give the plugs something to fire.
That's Carbs .
Long parked cars require a little patience as described above, crank, crank, crank, not nec. (Post #20)

Good luck.

Last edited:
I am 61 years old and have owned a lot of carbed - US and european - cars in my life.
None started the same way and I had to find the best procedure to start (hot or cold) for each one.
But with modern injected cars which start immediately, we got bad habits.
I probably forgot that carbed cars are capricious :p

Anyway, if a forum member who own a fully stock slant-six 1bbl carb can share his cold starting exprience, I'll be glad to read him

:thankyou:all

I am 61 years old and have owned a lot of carbed - US and european - cars in my life.
None started the same way and I had to find the best procedure to start (hot or cold) for each one.
But with modern injected cars which start immediately, we got bad habits.
I probably forgot that carbed cars are capricious :p

Anyway, if a forum member who own a fully stock slant-six 1bbl carb can share his cold starting exprience, I'll be glad to read him

:thankyou:all

Lol, I'm 73, owned a 4 bay service center in our Capitals city center..
We'd go thru 20 - 40 vehicles a day. Every conceivable make, - every conceivable problem.
Over 40 yrs I've started and driven just about everything numerous times.
That's the way I start any carbed vehicle, read the manual, and it worked for me, - that's just my experience, day after day.
Good luck.

Last edited:
-
Back