Only runs 40 Degrees advanced

-
I have been trying to sort out a tuning issue lately and doing a lot of dist recurving.

Yesterday I installed a distributor and when I checked the timing it was at 40*. ! But running ! I immediately thought of this thread...
1st thing I did was to flip the rotor 180*....no go.
Next thing was to disconnect/reconnect my timing light. Bingo!
My timing light start displaying the wrong rpms from time to time and I have to pull the plug and reconnect it. Like resetting it.

Time for a new Dial Back Light. Or just use one of my other oldies..
The clamp-on often has polarity, a side that goes to plug.
I wouldn't waste money on a dial back.

I have been trying to sort out a tuning issue lately and doing a lot of dist recurving.

Yesterday I installed a distributor and when I checked the timing it was at 40*. ! But running ! I immediately thought of this thread...
1st thing I did was to flip the rotor 180*....no go.
Next thing was to disconnect/reconnect my timing light. Bingo!
My timing light start displaying the wrong rpms from time to time and I have to pull the plug and reconnect it. Like resetting it.

Time for a new Dial Back Light. Or just use one of my other oldies..

Isn't your damper degreed? I'm not a fan of dial back lights. In any case, pick a timing light, look at the plugs and let them tell you when the timing is correct and use that number for timing that engine. Don't care if the light says 20 or 60 degrees, as long as the plug says it's right, it's right. As long as the light repeats, it's just a number.

Yes my damper is degreed and indexed. But my eyes are exactly what they used to be.... bad ! Its hard to see the marks on the wheel...much easier to see the light.
I did orientate the pickup to face the plug correctly.
My 408 has a Romac SFI balancer that has a nice shiny finish. What I didnt anticipate was that reflection of the strobe off the balancer ! Urghhh ! That mother is getting painted !

OK guys I have started tearing the motor apart although I found some problems it’s not the original problem but makes it a good reason to tear the motor down I have two lifters starting to have a bad pattern and two lobes starting to get worn down. And it looks like the cam has been running a little bit too far forward I don’t know how that’s possible but anyway that’s all going in the trash Along with the damper of course. The bad thing is I still haven’t found the original problem Why the motor only wanted to run so advanced

F2B324A5-C831-457B-A03F-1D5F36D2C77D.jpeg

A14A5918-4998-4FD2-A2A1-97212B557B8F.jpeg

-
Back