Opinion & Advice wanted buying the wife a car...

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
The wife's car is about to crap out. 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagn 22mpg @best

She wanted an older Subaru WRX, & then a late model Mustang. Uggh.

I finally talked her into a 1971 Challenger 340 4speed.

I have owned a few older cars and they have been higher/yet easier maintenance than any of the new stuff I have driven. Parts are usually cheaper too. The wife works at Advance Auto and delivers parts to all the repair shops in town.

Is this a good/bad idea to make this car her daily driver?

Other than a tune up, check the wheel bearings, upgrade to electronic ignition (if necessary), add a stereo for her, maybe check the rear axle gear ratio, go through some of the wiring and verify the grounding wires, what should I do to make this car reliable?

(didn't the starters go bad on the older Mopars' periodically back in the day?)

I have not bought the car, and am blessed with a little bit of disposable income to upgrade it as necessary. I just want to stick with older Mopar for her next vehicle, with low cost upkeep when finished, and with reliability as a priority for her. -Plus she doesn't quite realize it yet, but I bet she will enjoy the attention of the bellybutton owners and wanna-be's.

I am looking at: Item number:370541786665

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...963564QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ370541786665

& Item number:200651954951

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971...1954951?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb7c9db07

"Will she be happy w/o AC? It looks like now is the time to buy those cars because the market is way down."
Does the vintage air setup seem like a bad idea? about 1200 bucks right? or could I just cannibalize the A/C stuff from my 74 rr project car?

Dont know your wife, but that sounds like a bad idea to me for a daily driver.

"Will she be happy w/o AC? It looks like now is the time to buy those cars because the market is way down."
Does the vintage air setup seem like a bad idea? about 1200 bucks right? or could I just cannibalize the A/C stuff from my 74 rr project car?

As far as cannibalizing your 74 rr project car you would need to make sure that the cowl on the car you buy is the same as an AC cowl. The A-bodies have different cowls for AC and Non AC cars. I would likely go with Vintage Air just to have a new system. Price wise I have no idea what a system would run.

"Don't know your wife, but that sounds like a bad idea to me for a daily driver."

We don't have heavy traffic here on the east coast where i am at...
It's a fifteen minute drive to work for her with the occasional 45 mile jaunts down south into Jacksonville, Fl for her shopping.

What about security? Do you guys have any suggestions against theft?

Personally I don't think e-bodies are the best mopars for daily driving. Why not give your wife what she wants? If you had to 'talk her into it' it seems to me that is setting yourself up for problems down the road, no pun intended.

"Personally I don't think e-bodies are the best mopars for daily driving. Why not give your wife what she wants? If you had to 'talk her into it' it seems to me that is setting yourself up for problems down the road, no pun intended."

a used wrx is like going to the brothel to pick a bride-much harder for me to upkeep, and more expensive parts, i have similar feelings for the new mustangs/late model muscle cars

she likes cars based off of looks and the Subaru be-ing her first car-limited experience

Personally I don't think e-bodies are the best mopars for daily driving. -what makes you say that?

IMO e-bodies weren't built that well. The doors are heavy and prone to sagging, they rattle, you sit very low, they are prone to wind and water leaks, and rust.

We haven't discussed it when you've called......you've just told me your ideas and I've listened. But since you cain't interrupt me here, lol, I'll give you my input.

Challengers are cool *** cars. No doubt about it. But you yourself have said more than once to me that she didn't want an old car. Think about her for a minute. What happens if you're how shall we say...."indisposed" for some time and the car leaves her stranded?

Even the most top notch shape cars do break down. It's why new cars have a warranty. The older cars were even more prone to small things going out. A five dollar ballast resistor can cause her a million dollar bad day.

If it was me, I wouldn't do it. I would buy her something nice, something new and something with a warranty. That's what I did for Kitty. Twice. I got her a new Corolla in 1999 and a new Escape in 2004.....BOTH cars SHE picked out and guess what? Neither of them ever gave a minute's problem. The only reason we traded the Corolla was because it was wrecked badly twice and she didn't feel like it was the same car....and she was damned right..... it wasn't.

I know you well enough to know that you're really wanting this Challenger more for you than for her, regardless of whether you want to admit it. If she was my wife and I was GONE from her months at a time, I would want her in a RELIABLE new car with a warranty and rental car service so that all she needed to do was pick up the phone if there was ever a problem. Like Dirty Harry Callahan once said, "That's a high price to pay for bein stylish."

We haven't discussed it when you've called......you've just told me your ideas and I've listened. But since you cain't interrupt me here, lol, I'll give you my input.

Challengers are cool *** cars. No doubt about it. But you yourself have said more than once to me that she didn't want an old car. Think about her for a minute. What happens if you're how shall we say...."indisposed" for some time and the car leaves her stranded?

Even the most top notch shape cars do break down. It's why new cars have a warranty. The older cars were even more prone to small things going out. A five dollar ballast resistor can cause her a million dollar bad day.

If it was me, I wouldn't do it. I would buy her something nice, something new and something with a warranty. That's what I did for Kitty. Twice. I got her a new Corolla in 1999 and a new Escape in 2004.....BOTH cars SHE picked out and guess what? Neither of them ever gave a minute's problem. The only reason we traded the Corolla was because it was wrecked badly twice and she didn't feel like it was the same car....and she was damned right..... it wasn't.

I know you well enough to know that you're really wanting this Challenger more for you than for her, regardless of whether you want to admit it. If she was my wife and I was GONE from her months at a time, I would want her in a RELIABLE new car with a warranty and rental car service so that all she needed to do was pick up the phone if there was ever a problem. Like Dirty Harry Callahan once said, "That's a high price to pay for bein stylish."

Well said!

I have to agree on getting a newer car, unless she has a knack for working on cars I'd shy away from a 1970s classic (any part that hasn't been replaced WILL fail at some point)... Even if you wanted to go with a classic Mopar I'd recommend something more along the lines of a mild 318/automatic A-body, like an old Dart or Valiant in good shape with the typical 4-bbl, intake, and dual exhaust to make it a little fun. 340s aren't known for fuel economy and an E-body is just extra weight and less visibility and trunk space. Not to mention '71s are worth quite a bit and not exactly growing on trees...

its not a bad idea
its a terrible idea
first and foremost because it is not what she wants
second because its not what she wants
now I love old vehicles and have used 20, 30, and 40, year old cars and bikes as my daily drivers most of my life,
but I would NEVER expect someone else to do that, it just wouldn't be fair to them,
it is something you do because it is in your blood, but it is not practical

First link says minor paint job needed......huh? Would not be surprised if that translates into a nightmare, perhaps an older body/paiont job that is going to start showing it's uglies real quick. Second link states cracks, see above. Can you afford to repalce it when something happens?? Collectors insurance are pretty strict about daily driving. Seriously doubt "regular" car insurance is going to insure it for either its value ar what you say it is worth....
The above is just my opinion. Sounds like YOU want her to drive it. What is she going to say when she is standing on the side of the road in 100* heat because the car YOU want her to drive broke down? You can afford 15-20k on a dd for her you can affor a newer car with air bags. Not saying she is a bad driver but I would not want my wife to have a dd without them, there is enough knuckleheaded drivers out there....
A family member had a 71 Challenger as a dd, might as well just left the keys in it as far as security goes, power to the coil, jump the starter relay and slide hammer the ignition out and away it goes.

I wouldn't recommend the Challenger for her if she doesn't want it. If she is like my ex wife, if she doesn't like it and is not happy, she will make sure you are not happy... Or won't take care of it, so it breaks and she can get something that she likes...

I would go with the Ford. I do not like to support the japanese car market. I find it hypocritical when people b!tch about not having a job and drive a foreign car. Keep the money in our country, support local business. The new Ford mustang six cylinder engine puts out over 300 hp! Not bad for a six popper. They brought the 5.0 back at 412 hp! My oldest son has a 2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 (550 hp stock) and I bought the extended warranty and the maintenance plan through Ford - I don't have to pay or do anything on it until over 70, 000 miles. They even cover clutches, oil changes, and windshield wipers! He has had it for a year and a half and loves it. Not to mention that it was built in Flat Rock, Michigan.

I wouldn't recommend the Challenger for her if she doesn't want it. If she is like my ex wife, if she doesn't like it and is not happy, she will make sure you are not happy... Or won't take care of it, so it breaks and she can get something that she likes...

I would go with the Ford. I do not like to support the japanese car market. I find it hypocritical when people b!tch about not having a job and drive a foreign car. Keep the money in our country, support local business. The new Ford mustang six cylinder engine puts out over 300 hp! Not bad for a six popper. They brought the 5.0 back at 412 hp! My oldest son has a 2011 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 (550 hp stock) and I bought the extended warranty and the maintenance plan through Ford - I don't have to pay or do anything on it until over 70, 000 miles. They even cover clutches, oil changes, and windshield wipers! He has had it for a year and a half and loves it. Not to mention that it was built in Flat Rock, Michigan.

Hey there you need an extra son? I can do lots of amusing tricks! :D

Hey there you need an extra son? I can do lots of amusing tricks! :D

LOL!

Sorry, most of my son's friends have also made me that offer...

Due to current economic conditions, we are not accepting applications at this time...

And his little brother will be up for his in another 3 - 4 years if he keeps his grades up.

Big brother earned his by getting 3.7, 3.9, 3.9 and graduating high school a semester early. Then a 3.9 in tech school and is now starting college.

Thanks for the honest it's-not-what-we-think-you-want-to-hear input guys.
Its more valuable to be told your wrong than to screw up down the wrong path.
Thanks a bunch. Got to go to work...

"
occasional 45 mile jaunts down south into Jacksonville, Fl for her shopping.

And where's she gonna put s*** when she does goes shopping? Looked in the trunk of an E-body lately? There's a reason it's called a mail slot.

As much I love mine, there's no way in hell that it's a practical car.

Thanks for the honest it's-not-what-we-think-you-want-to-hear input guys.
Its more valuable to be told your wrong than to screw up down the wrong path.
Thanks a bunch. Got to go to work...

I love you too much not to be honest, brother.

If momma ain't happy, there ain't nobody happy is a fair statement here.
Admit it, you want the Challenger for yourself, not her!
She will NOT like it on a D.D. basis.
Buy her something SHE really likes and that SHE picks out herself.
I would suggest you steer her to something new or newer, good gas mileage, and domestic.

You want a happy marriage. Let your wife be the primary decision maker on this one.

A Challenger would be cool, but it won't offer the safety, reliability, comfort or economy of a modern car.

It's also not something that you want getting beat up in the day to day grind.

A friend of mine spent a whole winter restoring a 70 cutlass convert for his wife to drive daily... made everything the way she wanted it, a/c, color, and even changed the interior color. She drove it a few months and then they got a new Hyuandi!

I guess it depends on what else you have in the stable.
I love to drive my ol Barracuda but I dont like to leave it in a public parking lot.
When I glace out the grocery store window and see someone looking in the car window I dont know if they are just gawking or about to steel the sterio.
When It comes time to load up grand parents or grand kids and go a comfortable 4 door is the only choise.
My wife drives a new RAV4 today. She drove a 04 RAV4 for 6 years. I replaced the serpentine belt, the battery, and nothing more. Dealership did oil changes, filters, etc..
We put over 60K miles on that RAV in 6 years without 1 problem.
A few days ago we learned that the wifes twin brother has testicular cancer :(
We'll drive to visit 400 miles one way several times during the comming months along with the daily commute. Seems that having someone total or 04 and our buying a new one a few months ago was truely a bressing. The airbags saved her and her passengers from serious injury.
You wont get any of the above from a 40 yr old car.
I could go on about finamcing, keeping my money in the bank, and more.
they say that wisdom comes with age. Truth is wise decisions are the result of previous bad decisions.
And by the way... The RAV4 was built in Virginia where the only other good paying job is in a coal mine.

-
Back