opinions/criticism wanted

-

sweatybetty

Reaction score
been trying to figure out a design for my door panels and came up with this. what do yall think? the black lines are going to be stripes/lines

P9080001.JPG

P9080003.JPG

I think it looks pretty cool! I would change the 'CUDA logo to Barracuda, just to see how that looks too! Just don't use crushed velvet!!

I like it. What material are you using for the backer board. I need to replace my kick panels.

66340, the 'cuda was the hiper model so thats why im thinking of that. also cutting out a "barracuda" stencil would take me all day! hahaha
dave, the material is "hardboard" or what i call masonite. im not sure what the proper name is but it is 1/8th thick and matches the factory stuff perfectly. same stuff pegboard is made of.
i ordered some foam today and the new clips so its going to be a couple of weeks before i can do much more.

What is the name of the foam and distributor. I may follow in your footsteps. Uhhhhh again. hahaha. You do kickass work and we both have 66 cars. Mine will be the convertible valiant/barracuda since I have barracuda grills. It would be sweet to have both our rides next to each other in a Mopar mag. Awesome Red and Midnight Metallic Blue side by side. Killer.

Will continue to watch this one

You aint gonna like my opinion but hear goes... Once you put seats in the car the 'CUDA will never be seen unless doors are open. That badge is incorrect for that car anyway. As a long time Barracuda owner I've thought often about custom interior designs. Lets face it, an ugly fish aint much to work with.
I saw a yellow paint 68 with custom interior. Black with big yellow diamonds scattered about. Color matched and it looked OK but WTF does diamonds have to do with a fish ?LOL
My emblems are fish in ring (plated ? Where's the chips ?) hehe
Here's the only thing I've came up with... A Barracuda jumping through a flaming ring (like Dolphins do), would suggest Chrysler tryed their hand at cartoon drawing before buying lisense from Warner Brothers (Roadrunner).

i am not one to usally respond to threads like this but here goes. my first initall responce is, it dosen't look to bad. then when i was looking at it some more, and the more i looked, the more things i had to say that isn't working. first off the door already has a barracuda badge on it so putting cuda on it is kinda redundant. maybe a mod script of the year?second unless everywhere you go you open your doors up then it will never be seen or barely be seen. lastly i haven't heard if you planned on doing a custom interior to match it as well. if you are then the door panels custom would be ok. if not and you are going to use stock then the door panels need to be stock as well in my opinion. legendary does have the door panels for this car, i checked. i think this could work but i would put a little more thought in it's direction and overall look. sorry if it is not what you want to hear, it is just my 2 cents.....

Looks good to me!!

Could you put a barracuda fish from back to front.
That would be cool too.
You are doing great !! go with your own instinct's.

Lines need to be thicker, just slightly I think.

Here's a couple pics of my semi custom interior. I used a second set of stock front door panels to make the rears. The small window winder is from the vent window on Sport Fury (matches just shorter). Redoing al the burlwood with adhesive vynil and exacto knife was pains taking but it has held up well (over 3 years now). The stuff is available in many looks, carbon fibers, brushed chrome, etc.. I saw a sample of red burlwood that almost looked like fire but can't find where to buy it now.
BENB2.jpg

BEN1.jpg

If all this input just muddies the waters for you, I apologise.
Sometimes you just have to go with what you like and ignore others opinions.
Good luck :)

BENB2.jpg

BEN1.jpg

BENB2.jpg

BEN1.jpg

I have almost never seen a “custom” interior that I liked. They just don’t go with the cars.
Now that is me.
And that being said, if I understand your design correctly, I wouldn’t mind it.
It looks simple and clean, like the original should. And with your car color one could get overwhelmed quick.
Are you going to cover the Masonite with anything or is the cost of the board about it?
For the time and work involved in anything else, I would go with repo panels.
I bet they are not cheap.
And I am a really cheap person.

are the board lines getting gouged out so it will give it dimension? looks clean and simple though.

I brushed on a coat of thompson's water seal on my boards prior to assembly.. just in case any moisture gets past your plastic seal, to protect your work

What is the name of the foam and distributor. I may follow in your footsteps. Uhhhhh again. hahaha. You do kickass work and we both have 66 cars. Mine will be the convertible valiant/barracuda since I have barracuda grills. It would be sweet to have both our rides next to each other in a Mopar mag. Awesome Red and Midnight Metallic Blue side by side. Killer.

Will continue to watch this one

dave, this only cost $8.75 for the material. the rest was shipping for a total of $25. i did get extra for when i screw up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260157778984&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:US:11

ok guys thanks for all the opinions.
redfish i agree on the 'cuda thing especially with the emblem below the wing. kind of redundant. (your interior looks kickass!) i looked at legendary but thats close to $350 plus shipping. way too much. so far im out $8 for the hardboard. im not going stock so im not worried about authenticity.
im planning on thicker lines but dont want a cluttered look either.
one thought i may try is cut out the fish and put a piece of red plexiglass behind it with a lite that comes on when the door is open. dont know about that yet. i do like it down in the corner though. anyhow heres another pic. whatta ya think?

fish2.JPG

now that looks alot better i think. the idea of the door light is a keeper too. that would give it a nice touch! yeah, that is what you need....\\:D/

I like the fish a lot more than the 'cuda. I've never liked 'cuda on an early A-body barracuda.

Now that is a really kick azz idea with the fish and the back lighting. Wrapping the vinyl tightly around the fish without any wrinkles will be the biggest challenge. I'm sure you are up too it with your ingenuity. \\:D/

An excellent peice of polished stainless steel inset into the panel would be great as a fish door emblem too maybe

Well shoot ! There was red/white DOT reflective tape for sale in fairly large pieces at the Hayes event. The trim pieces on my doors have a reflecter at the end (hiden by the seat back in pic). But that stuff could work and save you the hassle of wiring. Remember... someday you'll need access to replace the bulb if electric. Fiber optics could place the bulb behind kick panels (ideas aplenty). I do like the fish better than 'cuda though.

ok, here i go again.....tried out my idea of cutting the fish out. #$%&*^%#$! what a pain in the butt. anyhow got it done. glued some leftover headliner to the board and some red cellophane to the back. i dont know if this will work. there isnt enough material left to pull through and glue to the back of the board to give a clean line. there has to be a way..............

red fish.JPG

I like the fish much better than the CUDA mainly because they didn't use the CUDA name until '69 and it doesn't look right on an earlier car.

Chuck

-
Back