opinions needed regarding available EFI for a small block

-
Jkirk, you are tough to have installed that GM TBI. I see you are using their 8-pin module and coil, as did I on my 64 slant. Are you using the GM knock sensor? I don't see the module. The knock sensor screws into a SB block drain plug (same on GM engine). I assume you have an O2 sensor. What distributor is that?

For others contemplating this, a direct bolt-up is a Holley Pro-jection TBI on a 4 barrel intake (square or spread-bore, but not original 273 small-square pattern). I have seen them $25 used. The later models had better injectors (flat top). You would have to re-wire the injectors to connect to the GM harness. You could use the Pro-jection ECU, but it doesn't have MAP or IAT sensors, as Jkirk does, so always a bit quirky, though MAP doesn't work well if a wild cam.

Jkirk, you are tough to have installed that GM TBI. I see you are using their 8-pin module and coil, as did I on my 64 slant. Are you using the GM knock sensor? I don't see the module. The knock sensor screws into a SB block drain plug (same on GM engine). I assume you have an O2 sensor. What distributor is that?

For others contemplating this, a direct bolt-up is a Holley Pro-jection TBI on a 4 barrel intake (square or spread-bore, but not original 273 small-square pattern). I have seen them $25 used. The later models had better injectors (flat top). You would have to re-wire the injectors to connect to the GM harness. You could use the Pro-jection ECU, but it doesn't have MAP or IAT sensors, as Jkirk does, so always a bit quirky, though MAP doesn't work well if a wild cam.

gm system 1227747 ecm from 90 GMC 1500 5.7 L. The knock sensor module isn't in those pictures. I need to take some new ones. stock 273 2 barrel intake with TBI adapter plate, dist from 1986 5th ave, hei conversion cap. denso 75 Amp Alt from 88 dodge van. 3 wire GM O2 after y, speed sensor from 83 5fth Ave. Two fuel pumps 5 PSI into homemade surge tank, 20psi pump to TBIi 14 psi at TBI 3/8" feed 5/16" return to tank sending unit.

Complete step by step installation and parts required to install GM TBI on most any engine is avail here. Including jkirks thread helping him sort his out. http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Just hit the faq's and find out what is needed and what isn't.

After helping guys convert to efi for the last 12+yrs the DIY way, I have now developed an all new stand alone harness, custom tuning or complete systems as required.

Hope this helps some of you guys that fall into the less than main stream SBC crowd. I tend to focus on the less popular engines like the IH, full size amc, studebakers and whatever else someone has laying around that they want to upgrade and make it a little more daily driver freindly.

I have a F.A.S.T Ez efi in the basement slated to go on the car next spring. So you'll have to wait till then to get my opinion of the system. My motor is currently at the builders and I'll most likely take my time getting it back in. Since it's now the start of winter here in Nebraska she's put away till they get the salt off the roads again. When it comes time to install my Fast kit I planned to document a thread of the install. F.A.S.T Ez doesn't allow the use of power adders which kind of blows. I have questioned them on their tech forums, and they seem content on not changing that. I have gotten very little feed back for it. There seems to be a few that have trouble with the system. It usually seems to come down to the quality of the install and attention to detail. From what I have read once they get their problems sorted out they love it. Most seem to come down to poor fuel system supply or design, and a few having signal interference when not planning out wiring layout.

I don't know we will see how it goes for me in the spring.

I'll post picures in the coming months as I'm still gathering parts, but I think using the GM TBI system is the easiest way to retrofit a car to injection. Ill let you all know how the install goes.

Parts are available anywhere cheap and if you follow the diagrams and instructions Bill has laid out it is a simple install. If you want to get crazy with performance tuning you can, or just mildly tweak it for better cold starts and fuel economy.

Yes, TPI is better, but for most of us on a budget TBI is a good option too.

Complete step by step installation and parts required to install GM TBI on most any engine is avail here. Including jkirks thread helping him sort his out. http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Just hit the faq's and find out what is needed and what isn't.

After helping guys convert to efi for the last 12+yrs the DIY way, I have now developed an all new stand alone harness, custom tuning or complete systems as required.

Hope this helps some of you guys that fall into the less than main stream SBC crowd. I tend to focus on the less popular engines like the IH, full size amc, studebakers and whatever else someone has laying around that they want to upgrade and make it a little more daily driver freindly.

I've started the install on my 66 'Cuda and will be documenting the progress over at the Early A Body Forums. You can follow it here.

http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/2/9253.html?1355011242

I'll post picures in the coming months as I'm still gathering parts, but I think using the GM TBI system is the easiest way to retrofit a car to injection. Ill let you all know how the install goes.

Parts are available anywhere cheap and if you follow the diagrams and instructions Bill has laid out it is a simple install. If you want to get crazy with performance tuning you can, or just mildly tweak it for better cold starts and fuel economy.

Yes, TPI is better, but for most of us on a budget TBI is a good option too.

i am hoping to have FAST on the duster around the end of january. a guy in S.C. is "sponsoring" me and installing/tuning it. the new FAST uses 8 injectors on the throttle body and iis tied into the timing somehow. i'll post some pics when it is done.

-
Back