Opinions on a Wrecked '70 340 DEMON

-
check with the owner,see what you can due on price.make your own decsion.
it sure isn"t a barrett jackson car, but it has a lot of potential in many ways.
it would be better setting in your yard then were it is.
later

Hey, unless you know for sure, it couldn't hurt to run the VIN past Larry Weiner and see if it's a GSS. The swapped top end of the engine kinda makes me wonder.

if it was a GSS car it should say GSS under the demon part right?? or did norm not put that on all there cars

Well guys, today I stopped by the house where the Demon is located. Since I was last there a tree has fallen but luckily, it somehow missed the car. The guy was REEEEAAAALLy weird. The place reaked of Weed. So when I talked to him, it was VERY hard to keep his attention and keep him on the subject of the car. I managed to get some details from him though. The car did belong to him but it was his brother who wrecked it some time back. And the car did not go off in a ditch, it hit another car. He also told me that he sold the car over 2 years ago to a man for $1000 but the man never hauled it off. I asked if he had a name or number of the man who bought the car, but he couldn't recall. He told me that he would try to get some of the man's info.... but I don't see that happening. He told me that I could look at the car.

While I was looking at the car I noticed that he kept looking out the window at me... very strange..... so I didn't want to stay long. With him being stoned, I wasn't sure what he would do. So I didn't stay long.

I checked and the car does have a fender tag. I took a picture of it but it very hard to read without removing it and looking from the back. But, I did see a "H" code for the engine.... so that is good. Since I was last there, someone has removed the seats and they are just piled up in the car now. The car has drums all the way around. I did notice that the car still has it's 8 3/4 under it... great! It was hard to get a picture of the driver side of the car because of the small trees that have grown up around it. The tail panel looked decent from what I could tell. Someone had already scrapped the front of the block to see numbers, but since then it has surface rusted over and I didn't have a wire brush on me to see it. I guess that's all for now.

Justin
"CornDog"

Picture1868.jpg

Picture1882.jpg

Picture1881.jpg

Picture1877.jpg

Picture1871.jpg

Picture1880.jpg

Picture1879.jpg

Picture1875.jpg

Picture1876.jpg

Picture1874.jpg

Glad your making a effort to get this car. I sure like to see it go somewhere else than seeing it sit there in the woods with trees falling on it. I too hope the guy looks for info on the previous purchaser to give to you,and purchase the car from him.

John

Did you get a pic of the vin tag on the dash too? Just curious on which plant it was built at. Couldn't make it out in the pic of the fender tag to well.

Even for a good body man --- that car is just about long gone --- looks to need a roof too!

You are starting from scratch ...

I bet if you add up the cost of restoring / replacing everything that car needs
You would have a small fortune in that car.

On top of all that, it is a wrecked car, so when you go to sell, someone will ask if the car has been wrecked ...

Part it ...otherwise you have a marathon ahead and tons of $$$ to bring that to driver level...

I'll tell ya, if that block is a the #'s matching 340, I'd haul that thing out of there if I were ambitious enough !!

The poor girl is in pretty bad shape, but there's potential .. If I can find a picture of the one my brother had, I'll post it for ya for inspiration .. That was one sweet car !!

Good luck,

Kenny

Did you get a pic of the vin tag on the dash too? Just curious on which plant it was built at. Couldn't make it out in the pic of the fender tag to well.

From what I can make out, it appears to be a "G" which would be St. Louis, MO. I'm not 100% of that though. I just zoomed in really close and that is what it appears like.

Justin
"CornDog"

She has alot of life ahead of her I'd buy it for a 1000k you should see what i'm into for 3k. You buy it for 500 bucks sell it to me for a 1000k and you just made 500 bucks lol

I'd save it...that could just be me though...considering I'm dragging a pretty parted out '70 Coronet from a friend's junkyard for a future restoration project.:-D

Snatch that thing up if you can.* From them pics it don't look to bad.* even for a $1000 bucks.* If it cant be saved you could part it out and make a bunch of money on it.* Lot of good parts on it.

From what I can make out, it appears to be a "G" which would be St. Louis, MO. I'm not 100% of that though. I just zoomed in really close and that is what it appears like.

Justin
"CornDog"
Thanks for the info. I know my '71 butterscotch demon I am working on is a Los Angles plant built car. I love my demons and hope you get the car and bring her back to life especially if it is a numbers matching car. I know that car is in bad shape but I seen worst too. Just saving it from where its at now would be an accomplishment.

Buy it for $500 & sell it to 78kitcar for "1000k." 1000k is one million. You'd make $999,500! Sorry, I couldn't resist that. :-D I'll crawl back into my hole now.

I saw that too..... If I could sell it for 1000k I would be set up... no more bills... man, that would be nice. I'll keep on trying to track down the current owner. I kind of have an idea who it might be. Long story short, I ran into a mon one time who had a '73 Satellite and a '73 Duster for sale. Like I said earlier, a few years ago, I wan't really concerned with a-bodies, so I was mostly interested in the Satellite. While talking to him about the car, he told me that he was selling the Duster as a package deal. I looked around for another car then he told me that it was a "wrecked yellow Demon" that he hadn't picked up yet. This would be fitting because it was about 2 years ago. What are the odds of there being two wrecked yellow Demons in the area. I am pretty confident that it is the same guy. I don't have the guy's number anymore, but the Satellite and Duster are still at his mother's house.... soooooo

cars068.jpg

cars067.jpg

It's not going to be G plant code.

It would be either a "B" or "E". I'm going to guess by the font on the tag it's a "B".

Why dont you just go and offer the guy the same $1000 he got for it 2 years ago? If you have the $$$ then its well worth it. 340/auto with floor shifter, rallye cluster,floor shift steering column,8 3/4 rear end plus a host of other parts,well worth it in my opinion. Greg

id buy it up and restore it this is only my opinion of course but i hate to see a car that could be brought back get torn down and parted out and that car can definatly be brought back, yea it will take some cash and time but i think itll be well worth it.

id buy it up and restore it this is only my opinion of course but i hate to see a car that could be brought back get torn down and parted out and that car can definatly be brought back, yea it will take some cash and time but i think itll be well worth it.
I'm with you on that. I know I would be one of those guys to spend alot of $$$ to restore it. I also wonder how many butterscotch demon 340 cars were built and still around.

John

-
Back