Opinions on a Wrecked '70 340 DEMON

-
only 8.9% of all of the 340 demons sold in 1971 were butterscotch....898 or somewhere in there

With the E55 (for 340CI) on the fender tag and the H code, no doudt it's a 340 tag. The EL5 cofirms it's a "Butterscotch" car. Awesome find only 8.9% of the total production of Demons were painted that color, sorry I don't have the breakdown on 4 speeds an auto's....

Go get it!

Buy the car.
Find a clean /6 body.
Install all of the nice parts that were included on the Demon 340 car.
You have the motor, k-member, 8.75 rear, rallye dash, popular column, bucket seat cores, 727 transmission and performance suspension.
The 1971 340 was the best small block ever put out by Chrysler back then in my opinion.
J or X heads, a 340 intake and a thermoquad and you would be in business.

only 8.9% of all of the 340 demons sold in 1971 were butterscotch....898 or somewhere in there
Wow,low percentage. I'm glad I have one of them,but mine's still in primer yet but can't wait to get it painted in it's EL5 butterscotch with it's white vinly top and stripes someday.

John

That car is a labor of love , buying it to restore and resell would be done at a loss .

There is a reason mopars are rare , you can't save them all , it's barely a parts car .

Wow my demons a 340 727 and a 8 3/4 Butterscotch with a black top I was going to paint her blue but seeing that you guys say there rare I might just have to go back to stock

Wow,if you can get it for 1K,go for it.
I paid more than that for this '72 340 4 speed roller without the fender tag!!!!

DSC09446.jpg

DSC09630.jpg

I read all three pages and was just wondering what ever happened to the Demon? The thread just kinda died in December?

He also told me that he sold the car over 2 years ago to a man for $1000 but the man never hauled it off.

heck with the guy that supposedly bought it. he can't want it that bad. offer $500 for that wreck. bring it home and stick all the numbers on a clean body and be done with it. that things needs too much work for what it is.

i have seen worse cars brought back from the dead. if it is all there and original i say it is a good car to bring back. butter scotch is a pretty rare color and very nice looking when done.
i have to agre depeding on what your wanting to do. do you what a #matching tralor qwene or something to drive and enjoy ether way i would not be afrad of it not with the parts avalabel today.somthing to look at these cars are not geting any cheper or easy to find .20yr.ago i would have even looked at it .if you don,t want it tell us were it is.start cheap with $ like300 and go from there .I SAY YES BUY IT !!!!!!!!

Somebody probably won't be happy that you didn't ask to take pics....

A body 8-3/4, $350, $500-$650 if it's a suregrip, top end if it's a 3.91.

Sway bar and arms, if not bent, $150.

Rebuildable '71 340 longblock, it DOES at least have 'J' heads from the pics, $1000 or more to some folks, looking for a '71 340, myself.

Taillights, unbroken, $100 MAX for the pair.

Floor shift column, $100 for power, $125 for manual.

Steering gear box, $50 power, $75 manual.

Correct part number 3515843 727 from a '71 340, $50, core, $125-up good working order (Need one myself).

727/8-3/4 driveshaft, $50, or more.

Rallye guage cluster, depending on condition, tach or no, anywhere from $50 to $400.

Small bolt 5.5" by 14" steel rims, $20-$35 each, sometimes more.

Front brakes, $150 for drum, $275 for disc, if rotors/drums are good.

$500? $1000 parts car? I'm over 3 grand in parts on the LOW SIDE already and there's quite a bit more that I have not even priced.

Tell me where this car is for a Grand-$1500 and I will go BUY IT!

Somebody probably won't be happy that you didn't ask to take pics....

A body 8-3/4, $350, $500-$650 if it's a suregrip, top end if it's a 3.91.

Sway bar and arms, if not bent, $150.

Rebuildable '71 340 longblock, it DOES at least have 'J' heads from the pics, $1000 or more to some folks, looking for a '71 340, myself.

Taillights, unbroken, $100 MAX for the pair.

Floor shift column, $100 for power, $125 for manual.

Steering gear box, $50 power, $75 manual.

Correct part number 3515843 727 from a '71 340, $50, core, $125-up good working order (Need one myself).

727/8-3/4 driveshaft, $50, or more.

Rallye guage cluster, depending on condition, tach or no, anywhere from $50 to $400.

Small bolt 5.5" by 14" steel rims, $20-$35 each, sometimes more.

Front brakes, $150 for drum, $275 for disc, if rotors/drums are good.

$500? $1000 parts car? I'm over 3 grand in parts on the LOW SIDE already and there's quite a bit more that I have not even priced.

Tell me where this car is for a Grand-$1500 and I will go BUY IT!

Most of the flippers and parts peddlers in this area, have lost their houses by now, and are out there trying to find a job. Can't make a living off egag anymore. Lots of parts have hit the market in this area, and none of these prices are realistic here; except maybe the 340 longblock for a grand. If it is standard bore, and not stuck...that might sell. $150 for front drums? I've got a set of good '71 Demon I'd sell for 50 bucks. $275 for discs? I just bought a complete '73 up disc setup with good rotors and new balljoints for $150.

Sorry, it' been awhile since I've seen this post. A GSS Demon did not have any external call outs under the decal. It would have probably had a Grand Spaulding Dodge decal on the trunk lid, but that's a maybe, and if it's been repainted it might not even be evident if it did have the decal. As for engine mods, with the top end of the engine swapped, all of the visual upgrades would be gone. The engines had a six pack set-up, special mechanical throttle linkage and fuel rail as well as the Segal "Tri-Power" air cleaner. The carbs and air cleaner were designed for a 427 Tri Power Corvette. The fuel inlets were on the drivers side of the engine making that side of the engine quite busy. As for internal modifications, the engines were equipped with Milodon oil pumps that might be the only upgrade that would still be there, but this doesn't make the car a GSS. Really only dealership paperwork can document these cars, and that can be had by contacting Larry Wiener, or by getting purchasing paperwork from the original or previous owner if it is still around.

Wow, I'm surprised people still remembered this topic. Last time I went by there (not long ago) it was still there. Like I said in an earlier post.... I first saw this car around 2000.... so who knows how long that thing has been sitting there. I've got a 9000lb Warn winch that I want to attach to the front of my trailer... so when I do go over there I'll be ready to take her home with me. Regardless of whether it was a GSS or not, it is still a 340 Demon with a 727 and an 8 3/4... I want it!

Justin
"CornDog"

Man, I've been watching this thread and i can't believe you haven't drug it home. Low ball goin in and take it from there. Try swapin something that you think might spark their interest. That's a tactic i use sometimes. Only you know what you have in your trading stock and he may place your stuff at a much higher value. There or those that don't have a clue on how to trade but then there are those that do. Good luck and i'll keep watching so keep us posted. Like stated before, there are a lot of parts out there for these thing now days. Good luck.

Hmmm, well. His place is an absolute DUMP and it reaked of weed. Since I do not have any weed to trade then I'll have to go with cash.... then he could buy more weed. haha! Honestly, I think he could care less about the car. I'll take $600 wth me but I'll see if I can get it for around 4.

Justin
"CornDog"

Well, I stopped by the house today to talk with the owner of the car. There was a man sitting on the trunk of a car in the driveway. I asked him if the owner was around and he said that he had a stroke last Friday and is in the hospital. While I was there the man told me a little bit about the car.

He said that he had been friends with the guy for over 25 years and the car was sitting in the same spot then. He also told me that the 340 is long gone and the engine was a 360. He wasn't sure what happened to the 340.... he thought it either threw a rod or froze up and cracked. Like I said, the car was already wrecked when he first met the owner. He just remembered asking him why here was a 360 air cleaner on it... and the owner said "Because that's what's in it".

He told me that I could go look at the car. It's getting harder and harder to get around the car. Right now, you can not even see it until you walk up to it. Some of the leaning tree finally fell on the car, but they were just dead limbs and they only fell on the wrecked hood and fender. I wanted to try and look for as many details as possibly but I forgot to look at the harmonic ballancer to see if it was an internally or externally balanced unit. I was able to get the VIN. The car was built on 9/70 and the VIN is LM29H1B151XXX. It has a 150mph and appears to be showing 91,908 miles. I could not find the build sheet in either upper or lower rear seat cushion.

I will contiune to try and see what I can do about getting this car. I'd hate to see the car get worse than it already is. I'll keep you updated.

Justin
"CornDog"

demon001.jpg

demon003.jpg

demon004.jpg

demon013.jpg

demon008.jpg

demon011.jpg

I say buy it and bring back to life. Paint Lazarus on the trunk. You obviously already love the dang car! Go for it. Can you get a title in Mississippi?

I say get it if you can, its alot of work, but it would be better to get the car out of there clean it up and then decide if you want to tackle it. At least it would help stop it from getting much worse. Good Luck i hate people who just let these cars just go to waste. Alot could have been saved in 25 years.

From what I can see in the pict of the engine, it is externally balanced so it is either a 360 or could be a 72-73 340. The balancer is an externally balanced balancer. Just because the motor is orange doesn't mean it is an early 340. Someone painted the 340 in my 72 RR orange and you can still see the blue paint under the orange.

That car is very far gone and unless you have unlimited funds and unlimited time it is not worth anything more than a parts car especially since it appears to now be non-#'s matching. It does have some desirable parts on it and if you get it at a decent price, you should be able to make some extra money for your other projects.

Joe

I say buy it and bring back to life. Paint Lazarus on the trunk. You obviously already love the dang car! Go for it. Can you get a title in Mississippi?

For about $200 (depending on car's vaule) you can get a clear MS title and start with nothing more than a notorized Bill of Sale.

Justin
"CornDog"

-
Back