OPINIONS ON EXHAUST SOUND

-
The Dynomax super turbo 20" body is the closest we have ever found. A little more rumblier, a little louder, but flow a lot more air through them than original stock style HEMI mufflers did.
Thanks Tom
What is the difference between the Dynomax super turbo 20” and the AP Xlerator?

Thanks Tom
What is the difference between the Dynomax super turbo 20” and the AP Xlerator?
The XLERATOR is straight through, the Super Turbo is a three pass version, like stock ones are. I'll shoot pictures and share them later.

Super Turbo and older XLERATOR

IMG_8815 Large.jpeg

IMG_8816 Large.jpeg

IMG_8817 Large.jpeg

IMG_8819 Large.jpeg

IMG_8820 Large.jpeg

IMG_8821 Large.jpeg

IMG_8822 Large.jpeg

My opinion is
Dynomax; long 3-pass. mine are 3" all the way.
-------------------------------------------
my car is a manual trans and has run about every rear gear in the catalog, and with double-overdrive, down to the equivalent of 1.97 and even as low as 1.79, and currently 2.77. It has cruised as slow as 65=1450 rpm, and as high as 65=2870; all with the same Dynomax mufflers that TTI provided in their 3" dual exhaust kit, back in 1999. The cruise exhaust sound is a most pleasing at 2240, which is what I have been running for a few years now; no drone.
----------------------------------------
My 367 has alloy heads and the dynamic compression ratio has run; as low as 8.75 and high as 9.23, and pressure from 178 to nearly 200 psi. In straight hiway mileage, she scoffs at filling stations. I used to fill it up at day's end after having driven all day on the same tankful. I figure that I got the cost of the alloy heads back before the end of the second summer, in fuel savings alone.
Eventually, I traded away some fuel economy for some top-end power, a thing I soon regretted after the novelty of said top-end power wore off, with 3.55 gears.
-------------------------------------
IMO, the 262 cam is a good choice, with the price of gas ever-climbing, and
IMO, if you put some pressure into your 340, keeping the quench in check, she will love the 3.23s.

I had Flowmaster 40's on my car for a short while. I hated them. Loud, rattly sound and much drone. I shopped mufflers for quite a while and finally settled on the AP Xlerator Performance Mufflers with the 3" and 24" OAL. XS1259. A nice deep, low rumble and the cam sound is noticable. I've had 'em on a 64 Barracuda with my home built piping for a couple of years now. Economical too...you don't pay for all the advertising hype.

20210701_112525.jpg

Last edited:
So I just got under the back of the car and took a picture of the muffler that in my opinion is the loudest I have ever heard but I don’t know what brand it is. The part number is 42451, any idea.
Please don’t tell me that this is a QUIET muffler because it can’t be, there has to be a much quieter one around. After Tom mentioned the Super Turbo is like the old Hemi muffler I think that’s what I may be looking into getting.

IMG_4401.jpeg

So I just got under the back of the car and took a picture of the muffler that in my opinion is the loudest I have ever heard but I don’t know what brand it is. The part number is 42451, any idea.
Please don’t tell me that this is a QUIET muffler because it can’t be, there has to be a much quieter one around. After Tom mentioned the Super Turbo is like the old Hemi muffler I think that’s what I may be looking into getting.

View attachment 1716168014
That's a Flowmaster two chamber number. Yes, it could be louder as they also make a one chamber. lol

I have never been a fan of Flowmasters. Loud is not always where it's at. I put Walker Sound FX's on my V6 Dakota's and liked the sound. I would be tempted to use them on my Swinger if I could find the right size. I need to replace the exhaust on that car it still has the original single system split to duals by the previous owner.

One more question, if the pipe at the inlet and outlet is 2.5in OD and both sides are welded to the current muffler, should I be ordering the identical 2.5in OD or drop down to 2.25in OD? I will need to take them to a muffler shop to get them installed because I can’t do it myself anymore.

I have TTI headers and exhaust with h pipe using dynomax mufflers sound good at idle and when i hit the pedal . No drone at highway speeds . Driving on the highway with the windows closed it is as quiet as any of my new cars , Had flowmasters on the car when I bought it was the first thing to go , driving on the highway was a torture session could not take the drone

One more question, if the pipe at the inlet and outlet is 2.5in OD and both sides are welded to the current muffler, should I be ordering the identical 2.5in OD or drop down to 2.25in OD? I will need to take them to a muffler shop to get them installed because I can’t do it myself anymore.
If they are careful, they should be able to cut the muffler bushings off the pipes and still enable you to slide new 2.5" ID mufflers on. Assuming they had the bends at the right angles.

To be honest, that does look like a Flowmaster, and Flowmaster numbering system is very similar, 5 numbers (or more, for newer delta flow)
But fm's number for that would be 42541 (40 series, 2 1/2 pipe, first 3 digits)
Your says 42451, I suspect a Chinese clone of an FM.
NOT saying a real FM would be quieter or sound better.

I have TTI headers and exhaust with h pipe using dynomax mufflers sound good at idle and when i hit the pedal . No drone at highway speeds . Driving on the highway with the windows closed it is as quiet as any of my new cars , Had flowmasters on the car when I bought it was the first thing to go , driving on the highway was a torture session could not take the drone
Leave the Flowmasters for the Chevy and Ford guys. :lol:

@VOETOM, if I may ask, what is your opinion of Magnaflow? I have some looong 3" straight-thru mf's on my Opel. Quiet. I wonder if they are TOO quiet. (22 or 24"case, 28 oal)
I have some 3 1/2 in/out aeros I could use.

The welded Flowmaster somethings came off my 76 New Yorker the month I got the car.
Went with Walker Quiet something's. Very happy. No drown. Two cats, two mufflers now.
Power loss? Stock 440, heavy car, who knows.

The welded Flowmaster somethings came off my 76 New Yorker the month I got the car.
Went with Walker Quiet something's. Very happy. No drown. Two cats, two mufflers now.
Power loss? Stock 440, heavy car, who knows.
Power? it doesn't really matter unless you are class racing. ET racing is a dial in. Street performance is limited to how much bite is at the stop light and 300 horse is about enough.

-
Back