Opinions on the BEST A BODY...............

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
Let the fun begin! Ok, I've had most all of the various A body cars and my favorite body style is the 67-69 Barracuda Notchback- not the Fastback. I also like the 67-69 Darts, although I once saw that they MAY be a tad heavier than the Plymouths, but again, it was not a material amount. I discovered that my '72 Duster was 4"s shorter than the BCuda and .5" narrower. Not sure on the weight, but the Duster may have a little more? I've been thinking about what model is the best, and thought it would be fun to hear from you guys. I know the 67-69 Valiant sedans are popular now and a friend that races a 64 Valiant slant 6/Turbo thinks they are the best (they are lighter). I was once told that the Duster was the very best drag car Abody ever, so what do you say? I myself would like to have something that is quick as in a drag car, but good handling and able to cruise on the hi-way too, and of course maybe most important w/b the SIMPLICITY that these old Mopars have!

No correct answers and everybody has a opinion. That's what this thread will be about.

My 66 Dart is fun to drive because of the peppy HP273 and the 4 speed. Manual steering and manual brakes makes it kind of a handfull though. My 70 Swinger is a 318 automatic with power steering and dealer installed air. A whole different car than my 66. It is a pleasure to drive except for the typical Mopar power steering and lack of road feel. My most fun car I ever owned was my 73 Challenger. The fastest one I ever drove was a 68 Hemi Road Runner, manual steering, manual brake, 4 speed. Talk about a hand full.

I have always liked the Scamps - years ago even "Mopar guys" didn't know what they were - I can't tell you how many times I have had to say "a Dart with a Duster nose" to people. Uncommon - unusual - and ALL the usual performance stuff makes 'em into kick butt machines.:usflag:

Well '70 dusters of coarse......never a fan of the notchbacks..

:)

IMG_1086.JPG

67-69 valiant bout as good as it gets for weight savings, rigidity and versatility. They are about as light and stiff as it gets.

I love my 69 valiant but the biggest mistake I ever made was selling my 72 scamp.

I have gone through an evolution over the years. In the beginning I was all about 67-9 barracuda because my dad has one that I rode around in as a kid in the early 2000s. After those started getting too expensive I moved into dart swingers and they must have made a gazillion dart swingers in all the production run because I had quite a few over the years.

Now I find myself bored with the dart swinger "23" bodies and I am all about the sport roof "29" cars now

I am currently helping my dad build a 71 demon and I have my own 72 demon so those cars are pretty cool to stare at IMO.

Oops, sorry for posting my picture too much, and a pic of a funny car, when Herb McCandless won pro stock at Indy in 1970 with a Duster

74 Duster 360. Electronic ignition, better front suspension w/factory sway bar, better brakes, retractable seat belts (not the best though), beams in doors for safety. Lots of torque and longer stroke. The best of the model at the end.

I have to say, I absolutely love my '64 dart, and I have a big soft spot for the early As in general. However, I think the '71 Duster 340 is the best factory A body all around!

They are all good, but I really like my 65 Barracuda Formula S

1974 360 Dart 360hp Sport, 14.7 at 95 stock View attachment 1714978777

I've never really looked hard at the Dusters after 72- I basically like the Taillights on the 72 best- guessing that tail panel would be grafted on the 73 and later?????? But, that 360 combo runing 14 sec quarter is pretty good. How STOCK? I can see the fat tires? Also, whats different on the front suspension. I could do without the steel beams in the doors! George

in 1971-1972 had a 1965 Canadian Valiant Signet - loved that car - 273/2bbl, slapstick floor shifter, outran all the Pony cars. Went looking for one started 5 years ago, none to be found, so settled for a '66 Cuda 273/4bbl 4-spd. I've dropped a ton of $$ into it, now it almost outruns Pony cars.

-
Back