Opinions on this 392 Hemi for sale?

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
Going to look at this 392 for sale locally next week. Very rarely see these for sale up here.

Asking price is $3800 CDN ($3400 US). I dont currently have a specific car for it. I was thinking of getting it for a future project such as 50's Plymouth or 63-64 BBody.

Here is the description and pictures.

" I also have for sale a rare 392 HEMI 1958 FIRE POWER engin , its been completly rebuilt stock exept for a hotter cam , it never been started ... $3800. for the motor"

Questions:

What is the market value for a rebuilt 392 these days? Priced right? Over priced?

What questions should I be asking?

Do you see any show stoppers in the pictures?

Thanks in advance.

That's so cool! I'd want some documentation about the build if possible, and if the seller did the work himself, you need to determine how trust worthy he really is? I'd hate to see you drop some big coin on a "berry bush" ring & bearing job with a cam just thrown in.

Make sure the black bellhousing in the picture is bolted on instead of being cast integrally with the block. If it is not a bolt on, no way is it a 392 since the integral bellhousing disappeared for 1954 and pre '54 the best you could hope for is a 331, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Also plan on a tear down. I see too many openings for dirt and dust to make their way into the engine. If the engine is as described, the price is pretty good. If it is not, that's an expensive door stop...

Rebuilt 392's don't usually go for just $3400.
Either it's not a 392 or the owner doesn't know the market value of these things.
Expect not to be the only one wanting to buy it.

Personally, a big 'BS flag' for me that this engine is NOT rebuilt might be the fact that I don't see any new gaskets between the engine parts anywhere, but ofcourse they could have bene painted over.
BUT the engine looks to be painted after the coil had been mounted seen by the overspray on the coil. Seems sloppy practises to me.

Anyone that rebuilds an engine and has some pride in their work, paints all the parts seperatly to make for a much more 'cared for' look on the engine.
Even the fuelpump looks spraypainted silver.

See if you the owner lets you open up the valve covers and maybe also the oilpan. If it's dirty under there it's not rebuild.

Try to turn the crank aswell.

In any case, even it's not rebuild, a real complete non-stuck 392 still can bring some money in the 2-2.5k range I think.

Engine numbers can be found on the top of the engine block, around the center opening.
http://www.hothemiheads.com/hemi_info/hemi_engine_id.html
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/Dark04/Hemi/IMG_2479-1.jpg

Buyer beware. ;)

If the crank block heads and rocker shaft assemblies turn out to be rebuildable cores
the price is good. If it ends up being usable as is you stole it.
Just know if they turn out to be just that no more than rebuildable cores it is not uncommon
for a guy to spend over 5000 rebuilding a basic Hemi.
I have gambled on early hemis before and come out good getting them well under market
value. But it was a gamble could have gone the other way if the sellers scruples were
flawed. I would defiantly ask a lot of questions to get a feel for the kind of guy you were
dealing with. How open he is to a proper inspection says a lot. Know how to ID the
block and heads before you show up.

Saw a 354 in a truck at a show the other day. Truck was a super old restoration owned by a super old dude. I would have bought the truck for the engine if the price was right. I don't disagree with anything anyone above has said. $3800 it is all good...you win. Not all good you are out another 4-5k in machine work, parts, rebuild. Now you are almost 9k. For 10k you can get a new 6.4L with ECU from the vendor on here. I would insist on seeing receipts or being able to look inside. If not call BS and offer 2k if it turns free.

Thanks guys. Great info.

I think when I go I will bring my camera to take detailed pics. Cover the questions and points brought up by members here. Then report back on this thread and share what I found to get more input before making a decision. Much more experience here than I certainly have on these engines. Appreciate it guys. Thanks.

Bellhousing is not the integral kind on that engine, I've got a few '51-54 331 blocks and the bell looks different. So, at the very least its a '55 331. Could also be a 354 or a 392, you'd have to look at the serial #'s to know for sure. But if it's really a '58, then its most likely a 392.

If its actually a rebuilt 392 that you can use as is that's a steal. As already mentioned, complete 392's that aren't frozen but still need a rebuild often go for $2,500 or more. Even just a worn out stock, still running 392 would probably bring $3,400. Truly rebuilt 392's usually don't start lower than $6k, even for a mild, mainly stock rebuild.

Some serial #'s. If it's a '58 392, the serial number should start 58C-, 58N-, or 58N3-. The casting # should be 1673729 for a 392.

1958 heavy trucks came with a 354, and their serial #'s would start L8C7, L8D7, L8D8, L8D9, L8T7, L8T8, L8T9, or VT-576. 1958 Industrial 354s would start IND-56A. 354's had block casting #1619829

If the casting # isn't 1673729 or 1619829, its probably a 331. I'd say the same about the serial numbers being different from above, but there are some discrepancies regarding serial #'s for the early hemi's. I've seen serial's that didn't start with any of the above. :dontknow:

Based on the height of the intake ports, it appears to be a 92. When they raised the deck height to make the 392 in 57, they actually dropped the intake port in the head so that the same intake manifold as the 331/354 could be used.

Ok. Made an appointment to see the engine next Monday. Some quick additional info from speaking with seller. Engine was rebuilt by owner of an engine shop for his personal car. Rebuild was a stock rebuild with hotter cam only. He died and seller purchased it from the estate 4 years ago. So no documentation. I am going to see if the shop still exists or find people that worked there. Other than info from member above any other critical questions I should be asking? Will take lots of pictures and notes and report back Monday.

Man those valve covers are cool! Good luck with the potential purchase!

I picked up a 241 Dodge Red Ram for $100 a while back but it was stuck. Lots of chrome on this one. The price seems reasonable if the overhaul was done and done correctly. There should at least be a invoice from the machine shop to look at. tmm

Attachments

• IMG_20130930_164603.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 764
  • IMG_20130930_162437.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_20130930_162557.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_20130930_164643.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 832
Remember that almost no parts are interchangeable between any of the early Hemis, and there were a bunch of variations between the different motors! Dodge, Chrysler, Desoto...all had completely different configurations, and finding all of the missing parts is goin to be challenge unless you know your early Hemis!

I have been contemplating the purchase of a 392 Hemi from a friend near me for some time! Dual quad motor set up for alcohol, $1500! Talked to Dan Sprinkle, guru of all things early Hemi, and was told that was about the going rate for a motor with no documentation! Geof

Remember that almost no parts are interchangeable between any of the early Hemis, and there were a bunch of variations between the different motors! Dodge, Chrysler, Desoto...all had completely different configurations, and finding all of the missing parts is goin to be challenge unless you know your early Hemis!

I have been contemplating the purchase of a 392 Hemi from a friend near me for some time! Dual quad motor set up for alcohol, $1500! Talked to Dan Sprinkle, guru of all things early Hemi, and was told that was about the going rate for a motor with no documentation! Geof

Your Guru is waaay off on his valuation there. I could sell as many bare 392 blocks at that price as I could find. $1500 would be a good price for a complete Tall Deck Desoto or extended bell 331. 392's bring the loot.

Your Guru is waaay off on his valuation there. I could sell as many bare 392 blocks at that price as I could find. $1500 would be a good price for a complete Tall Deck Desoto or extended bell 331. 392's bring the loot.

So, without knowing anything about what was done to the 392 I mentioned above, it would be a good buy at $1500?? This motor was in a sand drag truck, set up for alcohol, and was driven into the spot where it sits today, maybe some 20 years ago now! Other than the rumor that it has a matched set of 64 max wedge AFB's, I know nothing about it other than I couldn't get t to turn over by reaching down from the top with a socket and breaker!

Maybe the OP would be interested in this one as well!!??

So, without knowing anything about what was done to the 392 I mentioned above, it would be a good buy at $1500?? This motor was in a sand drag truck, set up for alcohol, and was driven into the spot where it sits today, maybe some 20 years ago now! Other than the rumor that it has a matched set of 64 max wedge AFB's, I know nothing about it other than I couldn't get t to turn over by reaching down from the top with a socket and breaker!

I would request to tear it down on the spot to make sure there are no major cracks or internal chunks missing..but, a complete 392 at that price is a pretty good gamble.

So, without knowing anything about what was done to the 392 I mentioned above, it would be a good buy at $1500??

The allure for me on this engine is this is one very rare occasion where something interesting is 1. Priced right and 2. Only 10 minutes from where I live.

Having bought my last two cars from Oregon and West Virginia respectfully....local is a luxury I rarely get to experience.

I don't even have a car for it. But it could be a good investment if it checks out.

The allure for me on this engine is this is one very rare occasion where something interesting is 1. Priced right and 2. Only 10 minutes from where I live.

Having bought my last two cars from Oregon and West Virginia respectfully....local is a luxury I rarely get to experience.

I don't even have a car for it. But it could be a good investment if it checks out.

You're right at home here with that approach!! Heck, I don't have a car to match most of my stuff either!!! :)

If you don't tear pan off or valve covers off, consider getting a LCD video borescope to stick down spark plug holes into cylinders. WalMart used to sell a Whistler video diagnostic scope for $79 that had small scope lense that would fit thru plug hole. That at least would give you idea of cyl wall condition.

You're right at home here with that approach!! Heck, I don't have a car to match most of my stuff either!!! :)

Haha! Yeah.....probably just going to buy it, stick it in the garage, then get drunk and stare at it all winter! " My Precious......"

If you don't tear pan off or valve covers off, consider getting a LCD video borescope to stick down spark plug holes into cylinders. WalMart used to sell a Whistler video diagnostic scope for $79 that had small scope lense that would fit thru plug hole. That at least would give you idea of cyl wall condition.

I am going to ask if I can remove the pan as condition of the sale.

Sure does look nice. I would like to find a good one but they are not cheap around here.

-
Back