Opinions please

-
Yes Sir, I am keeping the 273 in it. I don’t have the tools OR the know how on swapping engines
I think you are going to need some help hooking up the linkage, setting the kickdown and all. You can buy all kinds of aftermarket cables and linkage, but you 2bbl linkage will work just fine. Think about the function and how to set things up. Last thing you need is the throttle to stick open, or your tranny to burn up because the kickdown is not adjusted.

Did it have some real get up and go?
That’s what I would like for the Barracuda
LOL... I can say it was a little better than the cast iron manifold in the two barrel that it came Factory with but it didn't set my world on fire... But then again know your audience my car has a dual quad Stroker...lol...
Like I said Summit may have a reconditioned or remanufactured which should have all of its factory settings reset and save you a little bit if you decide to go that way really ultimately it's your decision course...
Screenshot_20200822-102327.png

Are you going to keep it a 273? If so, I would look at the Edelbrock 500. IMO, the 1406 is a little large, even considering it is the economy carburetor.

Totally agree with RRR. I switched from a 600 to a 500 (1404) on the 273 I had and it got a lot more crisp off the line.

I think you are going to need some help hooking up the linkage, setting the kickdown and all. You can buy all kinds of aftermarket cables and linkage, but you 2bbl linkage will work just fine. Think about the function and how to set things up. Last thing you need is the throttle to stick open, or your tranny to burn up because the kickdown is not adjusted.

A littl on what I have done.
I have a 1972 Dart 225 /6 that I put on a 2 barrel intake manifold, Holley 2300 350cfm on my own along with Lokar kickdown cable and throttle cable. Also minor stuff like mini starter so you see, I’m not too knowledgeable on these things, sorry. OH, and I’m old

I have to agree that if you don't already have a 4 barrel intake on it and the linkage ready for it you're going to be in a learning process or if you don't get it right you're going to be a massive learning process LOL...

I have to agree that if you don't already have a 4 barrel intake on it and the linkage ready for it you're going to be in a learning process or if you don't get it right you're going to be a massive learning process LOL...
I do have an Edelbrock D4B intake to add

I like the Holley. Many more people out there that know how to tune them if you need help. Parts are cheap and plentiful too.

Last edited:
I’m interested in the real mopar gurus opinions on which carburetor to put on my 1965 Plymouth Barracuda 273 dual exhaust.
I’ve got it down to 2 different ones.
1: Holley 80457s 4 barrel # 4160 600cfm
2: Edelbrock 1905 AVS 2 4 barrel 650cfm.
I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to carburetors so am asking for help, again. it’s going on a Edelbrock D4B intake
Thank you for your input it means a lot

I like the Holley. Many more people out there that know how to tune them if you need help. Parts are cheap and plentiful too.

I like the holley 80457 and have been running it for decades... Here's one on my buddies' 69 340 Dart....

The Eddie 1406 ran great and completely glitch free on my 318 with the Eddie dual plane AND on my 5.9 Magnum.
The Holley was faster even with the AFR the same on both.
That’s a fairly well known fact in street car circles as well as racing.

I like Holleys and run them on my more powerful motors. On a 273 that's stock except for dual exhaust, I think an Edelbrock 500 with electric choke would work better than either 600 carb you suggest. My 273 is long gone, but I have a 56 Plymouth with a 277 poly, factory power pack with four barrel and dual exhaust. I ran a 600 Holley on it for a while, but couple years ago switched to a 500 Edelbrock. Although I have not timed it, full throttle performance feels the same - no better and no worse - but the 500's throttle response is crisper. Plus the electric choke makes it a lot easier to start when the car has been sitting for a while.

277 with Edelbrock.jpg

Edelbrock gets my vote. I replaced my worn out stock AFB with a 600 Edelbrock and haven't looked back. I adjusted the idle mixture and the choke and that's it. Almost 20 mpg with my HP 273.

Whichever carb you use, take the time to get it right. If you go with the Edelbrock, take it apart and verify the float levels are set proper before you install it. There is a ton of great information for tuning both carbs.

Whichever carb you use, take the time to get it right. If you go with the Edelbrock, take it apart and verify the float levels are set proper before you install it. There is a ton of great information for tuning both carbs.
And believe me, I’ll be asking

Hmmmm,
Honored Posters I beg Your indulgence.
Randy B.
I have to ask about the exhaust system, May I impose for a picture of the rear valance panel ?
Thank You !!!

Why not just get the correct parts? They're engineered to work properly together.

Why not just get the correct parts? They're engineered to work properly together.
Never an issue, hooks up in minutes, cost nothing. I guess I become the engineer and make them work together properly

Think small and you will be better off. Your not going to get earth shattering acceleration any way you look at it (273). Small will give you a crisp response and "maybe" 8/10 HP imho. Put a good >complete< tune on it and get a few more, enjoy. Also that 3" exhaust not going to add anything, but it will look cool.

Last edited:
Thx for the pic RandyB !
A couple of thoughts ---
1) Yea sure, You are not going to upgrade or work on the car (LOL) :)
2) E85 is a fuel system killer and EVERYWHERE now, replace components that are E85 safe.
3) mathematically, @ 100% volumetric efficiency the 273 flows about 475 CFM so I would go with the 600 CFM electric choke
carter/edelbrock/weber option, (leaves room the future )

-
Back