Opinions WANTED (Tunnel ram)

-

dragnknights

Reaction score
I'm building my 360....... again, and I was at the swap meet this weekend and picked up a set of 2'' valve J heads (complete). The guy selling them also had an Edelbrock Tunnel ram. After some negotiating I was able to buy the pair of heads and the tunnel ram for $300.00. But I'm not really sure if I even want a tunnel ram. It was just cool. Anyways, Should I stick with my performer RPM and Holley750 or should I use this Ede tunnel ram with a pair of 450 holleys on it. I'd love to hear some opinions on it. Please keep in mind that I already have a hole cut in my hood. The specs on my car are as follows:

360cui
9.5:1 Hyper U pistons
Balanced rotating assembly
J heads (Port matched and Bowl Blended)
Cam (TBD)
Stock Dist w/ flame thrower module
Cheap full length headers

727 trans
2600 stall converter

83/4 rear end
3:91 sure grip

For a daily driver you will not like it that much due to the air fue mixture condensing after shut off and fouling plugs and contaminating oil. Your cold driveability will be very bad, if you can start it on a cold day you will get carburetor ice. The plus side is usually an easy 50+ Hp or 1/2 second off ET if tuned properly.

im running an eddy t-ram on my 340.its very streetable,but required some tuning to get it right.before swapping intakes i was running an rpm air gap and a 650 dp.i lost a little low end but not much.midrange and top end are excellent.the main changes i had to make were advance curve/initial timing,and carb tuning takes some work.ive been very happy with the end result.

Oh god it won't work..... lol

Talk with Wade (Mygwenevere) or DJV if you need real world input and tuning stuff.

since the cam is TBD I'd recommend a high lift, short duration cam to make life easy on you

I run the mopar 474 lift p4452992 cam and run 12.56 @108 with 3.23 gears out back

get 16 mpg on the highway and drive the balls off it - 150 miles each way to carlisle and 130 each way to ocean city md.

The 450's are a mechanical secondary carb and have no secondary accelerator pump - they would seem to bog, I bought them first and returned them while looking at that arrangement.

went with the holley 390 and never opened them up - i did adjust the vacuum secondary springs for street ( purple) and track ( short yellow) but other then that they are stock.

Like joe just said I just went to EFI on them and have about 1000 miles on the setup now. night and day from ANY carb to efi....

anyway - I have driven that setup since 2005 now and have over 8000 miles on it. never even thought once about removing it!

one more thing...

DSC_2348.jpg

run a milodon valley pan baffle to keep the hot oil off the bottom of the intake!

i've had the valley pan on it since I put the t-ram on in 95 bonnie...

Cold starts were not a problem, still are not - it might stall once then keep running.

It really helps with heat soak, keeping the oil off the bottom of the intake

Look the number up on that tunnel ram. If it's the Edelbrock "Street" tunnel ram, it's a dang goodun. those were very streetable and it will run great. In fact, they are VERY forgiving about over carburation. Something about how the plenum is made really helps low speed fuel distribution. You stole that thing if that's what it is. It may also have some collectible value because they don't make those for the small block anymore. I'm never in the right place at the right time like that. You suck.

These days it seems that there are 100's of ways to get an old engine to run smooth, fast, and efficiently. Wasn't like that in the old days. Nonetheless a pair of 4bbls sitting on a tunnell ram or cross ram or even in line is still about the most bad *** looking set up in the world. We survived with poor starting and all that stuff back in the day but the ram manifolds were just eye candy all day long!

Look the number up on that tunnel ram. If it's the Edelbrock "Street" tunnel ram, it's a dang goodun. those were very streetable and it will run great. In fact, they are VERY forgiving about over carburation. Something about how the plenum is made really helps low speed fuel distribution. You stole that thing if that's what it is. It may also have some collectible value because they don't make those for the small block anymore. I'm never in the right place at the right time like that. You suck.
thats what im running with the 450 holleys.i paid $140 for the manifold and it really has great low end response.

Wade do you have a picture of your ram so Will can compare it to his.

you can see pics in my photo gallery under my user profile.sorry they are not the best .

you can see pics in my photo gallery under my user profile.sorry they are not the best .

i looked at your pics. the manifold looks alot like this one that is available locally. should i take a look?? not really looking for one but down the road i may find some use for it.

if the price is fair id say yes,if you dont use it i dont think youll have a problem selling it.

-
Back