optimus priming

-

schnackenberg

Reaction score
Ok,
I haven't done much painting with cars and thought I would give it a shot and would like to see what people think or if they have any good recommendations.

I have a 1970 duster I have stripped down to nothing, no trim, windows, notta...

While I have it apart this far I want to do what I can to prime and paint it as best as i can. I can do all the finishing work after I have an engine in it I just want to get the car protected from the elements right now.

I was thinking of blasting but have heard it can damage panels, I have an air powered DA sander but work seems slow. How should I prep this car for priming getting in the corners as best as I can?
I have a lot of experience refinishing firearms in which everything needs to be bare metal which is making me want to put lots of prep work in.

Ok,
I haven't done much painting with cars and thought I would give it a shot and would like to see what people think or if they have any good recommendations.

I have a 1970 duster I have stripped down to nothing, no trim, windows, notta...

While I have it apart this far I want to do what I can to prime and paint it as best as i can. I can do all the finishing work after I have an engine in it I just want to get the car protected from the elements right now.

I was thinking of blasting but have heard it can damage panels, I have an air powered DA sander but work seems slow. How should I prep this car for priming getting in the corners as best as I can?
I have a lot of experience refinishing firearms in which everything needs to be bare metal which is making me want to put lots of prep work in.

I will try help you out here a bit. First off, does it have the original paint on it, or a couple repaints?

The best way to get your car cleaned up IS blasting, there is different media for different applications. You heard that blasting will warp your panels.....well sand blasting will warp your outside panels.....especially large flat panels. Get your car soda blasted, soda will get all the old paint off....and whatever else is hiding under that paint. Soda will NOT warp any body panels. Couple things to remember about Soda blasting, it is more expensive than sand blasting.....I had my whole duster soda blasted, and it cost me around 450 dollars. My car took them awhile thought because it had ALOT of repaints by previous owners, so my car took them alot longer than usual. i would say to keep the cost down for you to get the all the inside sheet metal, like the floors and engine bay, sand blasted and have all the outside cosmetic metal soda blasted.

You also need to remember that once a spot is sand blasted it is ready for work, but with soda blasting......any spot that gets soda blasted has to get neutralized. (Neutralizing the leftover baking soda, you can't see it but if you don't neutralize it it WILL cause paint problems) To neutralize soda you mix water and vinegar together and wipe down the soda blasted spots with that using a red scotch brite pad. Then you have to go over everthing with 80 grit on a DA sander. The 80 grit is to remove all the flash rust that will come typically in 10-20 minutes of the water/vinegar mixture.

Blasting will get in all those nooks that are about impossible to get to with sander.

hope this helps a bit

prep work is key, painting is the easy part. i did the same as you, just went for it. i just have the starting line guns eastwood sells, they've worked well for me with the few things i've painted.

paint stripper is probably your best friend. i used a DA to strip my dart, it sucked. also i left some original paint on the car, that turned out to be a mistake. from now on anything thats a show piece i plan to strip totally.

well it sounds like i'm going to go down to the metal then, this is a job worth doing right.

it only has its original paint, I may give it a coat of stripper before bringing it over to make it a little easier on the soda blast

well a local company just quoted me 1200-2000 using sand if i cleaned up the main body pannels.... think I'll pass on that one.
I can rent a blaster from sunbelt for 88 and a compressor for 110 for a day. but what a mess i'll end up making...

-
Back