Orange Box Old vs. New ??

-
Only thing I can tell you is my old orange box went out and when went to replace it with a new one it was not orange anymore. The replacement box was silver colored and was the exact same as the orange original box from the kit. I do believe in todays world more options (makers) exist as we refer to the electronic ignition box based on its original colors, but in fact it may be replaced by other makes? I had some help in doing this as when my 65 Barracuda would not start, it was stuck in my driveway and a friend helped me discover the problem. He got the box from a local parts store and it instantly started like it was new again!

65Cudalover

Reason I ask this question is because I have a orange box from a old version of the MP electronic ignition upgrade. I know the old version of the boxes where better than the new ones. Im just trying to find that cut off period of when they went south.

Only thing I can tell you is my old orange box went out and when went to replace it with a new one it was not orange anymore. The replacement box was silver colored and was the exact same as the orange original box from the kit. I do believe in todays world more options (makers) exist as we refer to the electronic ignition box based on its original colors, but in fact it may be replaced by other makes? I had some help in doing this as when my 65 Barracuda would not start, it was stuck in my driveway and a friend helped me discover the problem. He got the box from a local parts store and it instantly started like it was new again!

65Cudalover

a parts store box will not be orange
a mopar box would be

I've noticed that the older Mopar orange boxes have a pennstar stamped on them with paint, the newer ones have a sticker.

Im assuming there is no good way to tell if the box I have is one of the better ones from the old days or a newer model.

Ok, here is another question. I see that the newer orange boxes have a sticker with the part number. Mine is still printed on the box itself, but with the same part number, and wording.

I've noticed that the older Mopar orange boxes have a pennstar stamped on them with paint, the newer ones have a sticker.

Damn must have posted about the same time. I did find a pic on the net with a large Pentastar on it and mine is nothing like that. Thanks guys for the help. I didnt think was original but good to know the difference.

Also keep in mind that sometimes when people change the ECU (perhaps post #2) the fix might have been due to getting a better ground thru the rusty sheet metal screw. Before condemning an ECU, try running a dedicated ground jumper to the case.

I doubt you will draw any valid conclusions from the small sample of replies you get here. Proper analysis requires careful statistical analysis of large samples. The medical community has been misled many times, which is why what you should eat changes every month.

-
Back