Ordered Classic Auto Air for under hood

-

340doc

Reaction score
I decided to look into a Sanden compressor for my 68 Dart. Called Classic in Tampa. I spoke to Ron. He seemed very knowledgeable about what I needed and was a pleasure to talk to. I ended up ordering a complete under hood kit with everything from the firewall forward. I was undecided about putting the original stuff back on and decided to go with this. Just letting you know about a good experience I had in case it helps someone else!

Does it use all the original under dash parts and controls?

What is included and fo how much?
Yes, it hooks up at the firewall and you keep your existing inside unit. The belt tensions from the P.S. pump so you need P.S. The only thing you need from your original parts is the 90 degree pipe that the expansion valve hooks to at the firewall. $695.00

Yes, it hooks up at the firewall and you keep your existing inside unit. The belt tensions from the P.S. pump so you need P.S. The only thing you need from your original parts is the 90 degree pipe that the expansion valve hooks to at the firewall. $695.00

Unless you bought something different I just installed this and a couple of things I don't quite agree with -- you do not need P.S I have manual steering and tensioned of the alternator (double pulley) and all hard lines needed reused -- works pretty good

Unless you bought something different I just installed this and a couple of things I don't quite agree with -- you do not need P.S I have manual steering and tensioned of the alternator (double pulley) and all hard lines needed reused -- works pretty good
68 bracket and pulley system being different probably makes the difference. The kit I ordered comes with all new hose. Glad to here your happy with yours.

Yeah, would really like to see completed hose routing. Basically everything under the hood. I had custom hoses made for mine that all attached from the same side of the compressor so that I could unbolt the compressor and lay it off to the side without discharging the system. I'd like to see if that would be possible with the kit.

The stock hose routing on my car made it impossible to do much of anything on the front of the engine without discharging and recharging the system. Who knows, maybe labor and R12 was cheap in 1968! :)

CE

I will post some pics after I get it installed but someone will probably beat me to it.

Subscribed.
I'm planning on going with the same set up.
I'm very interested to hear about your experience.

See my Classic Air underhood upgrade on my July 4, 2013 post on my 74 Dart Sport. Highly recommend you replace your old evaporator as will probably leak.

Yeah Warren I'm gonna roll the dice on the evaporator right now. I did have the AC working on the car before I took it apart for the redo. Fingers crossed!

Yeah Warren I'm gonna roll the dice on the evaporator right now. I did have the AC working on the car before I took it apart for the redo. Fingers crossed!
340doc:
I removed the evaporator on this car to pressure test it with air in a water bucket; no visible bubbles. Installed it and it leaked R134a pretty quickly. On my 1974 Satellite, original owner, the evaporator started leaking in 1984 and had to be replaced.

-
Back