Oreileys for the win

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
So my new years resolution this year was to get more cars in the yard running, driving and stopping. So I start with a car I have had laying around for a long time. A 75 dodge dart, 225/3 speed. Factory disk brakes but has been sitting since it was last plated in 2002.

I actually remember a time when they had parts for this car in stock. Ha, talk about feeling old.

So I check auto zone. They don't even list a master cylinder. I think auto zone has completely turned its back on older cars. Their selection of parts for the aforementioned vehicle is almost nonexistent.

Next I try advance auto. They list a master cylinder and let you put it in your virtual cart. Then when you go to checkout, it outlines it in red and says it's UNAVAILABLE!! Unavailable at any price.

Ten years ago auto zone was my first choice because they always had the cheapest prices.

Then after I got a grown up job, I preferred advance auto, always a bit more expensive but a Lotta bit more quality.

Now it seems like I'm going towards oreileys because they are advertised by many youtube channels (vice grip garage and sallys speed shop) (very good channels) featuring old (60 and 70s) cars.
It really seems like oreileys wants old car owners as customers.

We will see how goes this week and if the parts actually show up. Of course NOTHING is in stock locally so it all has to be shipped but there is a 20 percent off code now for mothers day and since my order is over 200 dollars, 20 percent made a huge difference.

Screenshot_20230512-214501_Gmail.jpg

20230514_012823.jpg

Last edited:
orilleys is good for next day ordering, but when thay tell ya thayll call when parts arrive dont hold your breath! just go on in to store the day parts sposed to come and thay will have to go threw there new stock and find your parts, least thats how my local one is!! good quality parts too! and thay will match any body thats cheaper most time!

I wish that was the case with my local O'Reilly's. The staff at mine is so stupid, they wouldn't be able to tell you where the steering wheel goes in a car. There's a Napa and Autozone here, and if they don't have what I'm looking for, I'll skip O'Reilly's and drive 25 miles to the next town. It's that bad.

I got the disc brake master cylinder I put on Vixen from O'Reilly. They had it the next morning.

Local Advanced here never let me down.
Fan belts for the 64 valiant. With or with out A,c sir I have both.
You have an alternator also. Sure do.

Just my 2 cents.

My experience with Auto Zone, Oreillys, Bumper to Bumper and NAPA here in my area is that as usual it comes down to the experience of the staff and their mechanic background prior to being hired. Usually the experience comes with age. It's pretty hard around here to find a good "Parts Guy". I have known a few good "Parts Lady's" as well and again, generational specific. My sister is a pretty good mechanic herself as we all grew up on a farm. She ain't scared of getting oily/greasy and getting a few knuckle busters pulling trannys or engines.

Seems like if the younger folks below 30 yrs old (maybe 40 now days) can't punch it into their computer by answering several questions they say "Oh we don't stock that item". I give the majority of my business here to our local NAPA. A couple of the folks their have been in the business long enough that you can tell them what you need and they can go right to the back and get it. No computer! Now these parts are for the older cars/trucks like we are referencing here. Heck the NAPA guys here may have driven these cars in their high school days or early 20's.

If they do need a reference and can't find it in the computer, they go old school on it and pull out the catalogs and look the part up that way. Cause we all know the computer is correct every time, right! The NAPA and Bumper to Bumper here I think are the only ones that still receive hard copy catalogs and they probably have to request them. I switched to the NAPA when one of my good friends retired from the Bumper to Bumper store about a year ago. He was the go to for everyone else behind the counter if they got stuck.

NAPA here is usually a little more expensive than the others but less hassle and more confidence in the part being correct go a ways with me, especially since I live 30-45 minutes from any parts store. If I can I take the old part with me wherever I go. Again actual staff experience may vary, batteries not included.

I price shop.
And when O Reilly requires me to prepay for some "rare" part they have to order, then YES I was right...order all I need form Rock Auto and try to get it all from one stinking warehouse.

Other day, the O Reilly "new help" thought Mercury had something to do with checking for fevers. " A defunct car company?? Really!!???

Just my 2 cents.

My experience with Auto Zone, Oreillys, Bumper to Bumper and NAPA here in my area is that as usual it comes down to the experience of the staff and their mechanic background prior to being hired. Usually the experience comes with age. It's pretty hard around here to find a good "Parts Guy". I have known a few good "Parts Lady's" as well and again, generational specific. My sister is a pretty good mechanic herself as we all grew up on a farm. She ain't scared of getting oily/greasy and getting a few knuckle busters pulling trannys or engines.

Seems like if the younger folks below 30 yrs old (maybe 40 now days) can't punch it into their computer by answering several questions they say "Oh we don't stock that item". I give the majority of my business here to our local NAPA. A couple of the folks their have been in the business long enough that you can tell them what you need and they can go right to the back and get it. No computer! Now these parts are for the older cars/trucks like we are referencing here. Heck the NAPA guys here may have driven these cars in their high school days or early 20's.

If they do need a reference and can't find it in the computer, they go old school on it and pull out the catalogs and look the part up that way. Cause we all know the computer is correct every time, right! The NAPA and Bumper to Bumper here I think are the only ones that still receive hard copy catalogs and they probably have to request them. I switched to the NAPA when one of my good friends retired from the Bumper to Bumper store about a year ago. He was the go to for everyone else behind the counter if they got stuck.

NAPA here is usually a little more expensive than the others but less hassle and more confidence in the part being correct go a ways with me, especially since I live 30-45 minutes from any parts store. If I can I take the old part with me wherever I go. Again actual staff experience may vary, batteries not included.
I fall in the early to mid 30s category but I know what you mean. Everything automotive went downhill after 2010. I was in auto school at a community College in the mid 2000s and in those days you rebuilt an engine over the whole semester and at the end when finals were due, your engine had to fire and run (mine was a ford taurus) or you fail. Because they were preparing you for the real world.

Then after 2010 a younger friend of mine did the same program at the same place and he told how the whole class just took one engine apart and the instructor went over each part and they bolted it back together without any gaskets to use as a paperweight until the next semester. He hardly got any real world, hands on time.

Then after covid the same program was removed from the college due to lack of enrollment.

Those 2010 and after students are your parts store employees now.

That is one advantage of online ordering, you already know what you need and don't need a deer in headlights look when you ask for parts for an original dart, not a 2013 and newer plastic car with dart emblems but a real dart.

I pretty much forgot about Napa. I have only one Napa locally and it's clear on the other side of town and if they don't have it, the next Napa is like an hour and half drive.

RockAuto has been a good source for me. Their website is really easy to navigate. I have been able to get actual Mopar brand parts for my 05 Ram that are no longer available from the dealership.

RockAuto has been a good source for me. Their website is really easy to navigate. I have been able to get actual Mopar brand parts for my 05 Ram that are no longer available from the dealership.
What I disilke about Rock is that their parts can come from like 3-4 different warehouses. Like a member here once mentioned, fill the cart with that part from manu. then after everything is in cart, try to get it all from one warehouse.

As far as NAPA goes, in general I have thought they had some better quality parts and yes usually a little more $. And maybe, that was the case years ago. Dunno. We have one NAPA within 50 mi and I will say this, they have NO turnaround in employees. They are all knowledgable.

We still have a Western Auto with a very knowledgeable salesperson. NAPA Orielly auto zone are the”cookie cutter” parts stores.

I honestly have not used an online parts warehouse. I am more a face to face put the part in my hand type of guy, but that's just me. Thay way if it is wrong I may can have to correct part in less than an hour vs days?

Not saying they aren't a good source for parts and some folks may have good luck with them. I just don't know anything about them.

I say use whatever option works best for you and the circumstance.

I can't speak for anywhere else, but 'round these parts Advance is staffed by know-nothings who are just happy they don't go home smelling like french fries anymore. NAPA has some knowledgeable people, but it's pricey to walk-in traffic. O'Reilly has a couple of good counter guys, but their prices are higher than the balls on a giraffe for walk-ins. I mean, they leave NAPA standing. I beat them by $125 on four ball joints for an '04 Silverado 1500 last year, and over $110 on a pair of brake rotors for an '11 Impala Friday--my walk-in to their commercial! Oh, oh, oh... Oh my achin' ***. Shouldn't I have gotten a kiss with that?!
I've been at it since '87, and currently run a small Auto Value (a.k.a. Bumper to Bumper--same chain). There are only a few of us old-timer, raised-on-paper guys left. Happily for me and my customer base, my 20-year-old female employee is rapidly becoming one of the best "parts guys" around. She's into old cars, and learning to find parts for her AMX translates directly to her job... she's not much for paper (yet) but she's hell with an internet search. When the cranky curmudgeons in their 70s and 80s trust a young gal, that's saying something.

RockAuto... don't get me started. :p

I honestly have not used an online parts warehouse. I am more a face to face put the part in my hand type of guy, but that's just me. Thay way if it is wrong I may can have to correct part in less than an hour vs days?

Not saying they aren't a good source for parts and some folks may have good luck with them. I just don't know anything about them.

I say use whatever option works best for you and the circumstance.
I have to drive at least haf an hour to get to an local parts store. They have to oder the part it will arrive the net day or if "specal" order, in maybe 3 days. I can order from Rock and have it delivered to my hourse in 3 days and cost sometimes quite a bit less (or a heck of a lot less)!!!! even with shipping IF it comes from one warehouse. First of the month, I try to decide what parts I need for a project car and order enough to be worthwhile.

Little things too. Like do I need 2 taillite bulbs or is my inventory OUT and so I wil order a box for what I pay for 2 at O Reillys. Also called OReally?? around here!

My problem is I found a new master cylinder on a shelf in the shop and notied I have a 383 and a 318 complete engines sitting round, NOW I have to buy a decent roller to build around such. OK, so I failed Econ 101 50 years ago. :poke:

:poke:

I can't speak for anywhere else, but 'round these parts Advance is staffed by know-nothings who are just happy they don't go home smelling like french fries anymore. NAPA has some knowledgeable people, but it's pricey to walk-in traffic. O'Reilly has a couple of good counter guys, but their prices are higher than the balls on a giraffe for walk-ins. I mean, they leave NAPA standing. I beat them by $125 on four ball joints for an '04 Silverado 1500 last year, and over $110 on a pair of brake rotors for an '11 Impala Friday--my walk-in to their commercial! Oh, oh, oh... Oh my achin' ***. Shouldn't I have gotten a kiss with that?!
I've been at it since '87, and currently run a small Auto Value (a.k.a. Bumper to Bumper--same chain). There are only a few of us old-timer, raised-on-paper guys left. Happily for me and my customer base, my 20-year-old female employee is rapidly becoming one of the best "parts guys" around. She's into old cars, and learning to find parts for her AMX translates directly to her job... she's not much for paper (yet) but she's hell with an internet search. When the cranky curmudgeons in their 70s and 80s trust a young gal, that's saying something.

RockAuto... don't get me started. :p
Back in rural Missouri the small town down the road a ways, had an independent auto store, been there forever ran by the owner. Just him, no counter help. He would always say, IF that part EVER goes bad bring it back and get a new one FREE! It had an OReilly and had a manager and 3 workers. Parts were twice as high and warranty usually till a day after it failed!

Bumper to Bumper must be a Yankee store!!!
:poke:
:poke:Just kidding!!

I have given up on the local Oh REALLY zz. They used to have a female manager, and two other female parts girls and all three were GREAT. They all knew their stuff, would do stuff for you, and tried hard if they didn't know right away. One got promoted to "the back room" (commercial section) the other two are either gone or rarely up front. The current crop of guys there, and the local NAPA don't know squat about anything.

On day I went in there looking for a relay (bosch) and matching socket/ pigtail. He takes me over to the stereo crap and tries to point out a stereo connector adapter---for adapting an aftermarket radio to a factory harness. FAIL

I won't even go INTO Autozone unless I'm really desperate, and don't remember ONCE that they came up with anything.

Where I've BEEN going is a locally owned Federated Parts outfit, called "Motion" which carries many name brands (like Moog and Spicer, bad as they are now) and there's 3 women and a couple of guys who ALL know how to look stuff up. AND they have PAPER cataloges for the really tough stuff right there on the counter.

"Located in the Inland Pacific Northwest, Motion Auto Supply has convenient locations in Eastern Washington and North Idaho. We are 100% Employee Owners and we care about you and your vehicles' needs. Come see us for all of your automotive parts challenges.
We also have parts from diesel powered vehicles to small engines!"

When I was doing the Grey Whale 4WD conversion, that store was THE place

Bumper to Bumper must be a Yankee store!!!
Nope. I run an Auto Value, but they're both part of the same franchiser. Last I knew, between the two names, there were more of them in North America than any other chain. The thing is, they're not necessarily called either one since it's not a corporate-owned affair. My store is franchised by Auto Value, but that's not the name of the store nor is the phone number listed by it.

Nope. I run an Auto Value, but they're both part of the same franchiser. Last I knew, between the two names, there were more of them in North America than any other chain. The thing is, they're not necessarily called either one since it's not a corporate-owned affair. My store is franchised by Auto Value, but that's not the name of the store nor is the phone number listed by it.
It's a whole big international association of warehouses and stores working together. Hahn Automotive, a warehouse near me and an oil customer of mine, owns several warehouses in the east and midwest. They own and operate several stores that feature Auto Value branded parts.

tried rock auto,..ordered coil springs for my D150, thay shipped me A/C DELCO spings that was 4 inches to tall and took 2 weeks to get here...hell amazon dose alot better and free shipping with prime!

Auto Zone has the worst counter help around here and has never been very good about parts for the older cars plus their quality seems to be below other places. O'Reilly here is good with good support for older stuff. NAPA is just a more expensive O'Reilly, same quality at twice the price with worse warranties. Rock Auto lost me when I couldn't return faulty LCA bushings that I had on the shelf for about 100 days (90 day return limit even on something that has a lifetime warranty). Two of our local Pep Boys are now Advanced. I haven't been into one of them yet. I occasionally will buy parts from Amazon or Summit.

The internet has made part locating easy, Napa online is my source , If my local store doesn't have my part in stock, I usually just order it and pick it up the next day.
Our Napa store is ran by the owner and his son, I think going on over 20 years now.
I'll be long dead before the son retires or sells.
You can keep the burger king parts stores.

-
Back