.org has crashed

-
toolmanmike said:
Me, I'm hoping they get it restored back to current, otherwise it's going to delay my retirement.
You"re not that old are you Dan?

Not that kind of retirement; my bank balance and bills say I need to be working more, not less.

I signed up on slantsix.org over fifteen years ago. Up til yesterday (or whenever the board went down) I was at 24,672 posts or something like that, not counting the posts I made before signing up or the classified ads that self-delete. That makes me the № 1 poster on that site by almost double the № 2 (13,300). That's just nuts; whoever wants to know my opinion or advice on just about any conceivable question can find it using the search function; it's really time for me to bow out and leave some oxygen for other people. Up til the crash I was projected to hit post № 25,000 on 17 Jan 2018, ten days before my 42nd birthday, and my goal is to quit at that post count. Depending how long the crash lasts, maybe now I'll hit 25 kiloposts on 27 January and give myself a nice birthday present of freed-up time…or one hell of a whopping case of withdrawal. Wish me luck; ain't no arm patch or special chewing gum for this.

Okeh, okeh, you've got me bang to rights. Also the Ford Clown Victoria and the Stinkoln Clown Car and those irritating "America's Best Contacts and Eyeglasses" ads.

C'mon...at least the girl's cute.......
hqdefault.jpg

Dan,

Since it's a forum on a computer, you'll need 25,600 posts to hit 25 Kposts..........

:p

So 'BC' stands for Bot Central then... Never too old to learn!

For me, years of hard work never did seem to get me rich, so I'll have a go at working slow for a change.
People with money usually stroll around on golf courses all day so if that isn't a sign that working hard is NOT the way, I don't what is...
And if slow working isn't working out either, at least I had some nice preparation time to 'get ready' for retirement...

So 'BC' stands for Bot Central then... Never too old to learn!

For me, years of hard work never did seem to get me rich, so I'll have a go at working slow for a change.
People with money usually stroll around on golf courses all day so if that isn't a sign that working hard is NOT the way, I don't what is...
And if slow working isn't working out either, at least I had some nice preparation time to 'get ready' for retirement...
I am so getting off this planet. You guys are scaring me. I'm delicate, you know.

Chuck and I exchanged a number of emails the last couple of days.
He let me have a go at trying to restore the older backup. Both we both seperatly seem to have managed to get it to work again, although he got in running again on the older forumsoftware, I got it running on the latest forumsoftware.
But this is all on the old August backup. Things would be way better if the most recent backup could be put back online.

There seems to be something funny in the database-backup(s) that prevents an automated recovery/restore of the database.
Along with the fact the forum is running on old software and the database is fairly large, this doesn't make things easier.

To all that use dot org. How about a donation to Chuck, so he can do a proper upgrade. He makes no money from the site, and actually takes money out of his pocket to keep it running, to say nothing of the time he donates. Send any donations thru Paypal "friends and family", to [email protected]. Lets keep this great resourse going.

To all that use dot org. How about a donation to Chuck, so he can do a proper upgrade. He makes no money from the site, and actually takes money out of his pocket to keep it running, to say nothing of the time he donates. Send any donations thru Paypal "friends and family", to [email protected]. Lets keep this great resourse going.

Great idea! I just sent a bit.

Chuck mentioned, if all active members just sent $10 per year (less then a dollar per month) he could keep the site totally upgraded, and spend more time maintaining it. One magazine subscription is more then that, and doesn't have much about slants.

-
Back