original or not original

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
:-k:-khi, my name is wayne. I have a battle going on in my head. maybe you all can help. I bought a 69 barracuda formula s 383 4spd from my uncle. he ordered it new in 69. it has been sitting in his driveway for 37 years. the fender tag is gone & I found no trace of the build sheet. far as I know its never been apart at all. now do I try to put it back to original or do I build it the way I would've ordered it. the car is green with green interior. I would like to make it green with saddle tan interior. not that I would ever sell the car but would changing things deface the value? WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?

Might as well make it a gasser.

Go ahead with the tan interior. That could be easily reversed if someone else wanted to go back to original. Go with what turns your crank.

Your car is rare but already taking a huge hit in value by not having a fender tag and/or build sheet (from a serious collector standpoint).

I would ask your uncle where the fender tag is.

Check to see if it's still a matching number car. Vin will be on pass side of trans and bell housing mounting area behind the head.

Without documentation you may as well do what you want.

still a very significant car if it has the vin still and shows it to be a real "H" code 383.

it may not be a purists car but still a dang cool car ....just gives room to build what you want without the fender tag and build sheet.

I have the same problem with a GTX ....no fender tag or build sheet ...was used as a race car in its previous life ....but vin tag still shows it to be the real deal RS23L9 car .....so what can one do

Dang.....I hope that tag wasn't stolen. That's weird. I'd look further for the build sheet. I found 2 in my '67 cuda convertible.....one in the seat back of the driver's seat and one.....I think it was in the rear seat back.

I'd restore it to original if mine.

A 69 383 "S" is a nice car. Too bad about the tag. As for the build sheet, there are a few places to look for them.
About the color change, who cares? If you want tan go for it. That would be a very good combo. If you were to ever sell it and somebody really cared about that, they could still change back to green as easy as you can change it to tan.
If that was the only change you made, the value would not be hurt, because you don't have documentation referring to the original order anyway.

Green and tan would look great. Make it the way you want it BUT, I wouldn't do anything that couldn't easily be returned to stock.

If you can find one or the other, you can have the other reproduced.

if its never been apart ...you might still find a build sheet

I have found them under carpet, in the headliner, behind the glove box liner, on top of the heater box, under the back or front seat .....I even found one under the package tray. On a fastback it could even be behind the side panels in the fastback area or under the false floor section that fastbacks have to make the floor flat behind the back seat.

don't rule out a build sheet until its completely apart.

build it your way. enjoy it.
if you are gonna 'invest', first don't do it with cars, second follow what these guys (and girls too Rani) are saying -matching numbers for more money does need documentation

welcome aboard the FABO

well , I took the int. all apart & I found nothing not even a trace of the build sheet as for the fender tag well the lt. inner fender was so rusty I could just about pull it off by hand im heading up to my uncles this weekend with a metal detector, every thing matches the vin # ( rad. support,trunk lip, trany, motor) like I said the car was never apart. & sat for 37 years. I just might change the int. color thanks for all the input

Look on the backside of the glove box liner,under the headliner,and under the gas tank.He ordered the car new does he have any of the original paperwork?

post some pics of the car? sounds like a nice project

That's a rare car...Put it back together the way Ma Mopar built it.

Do what ya will with it. But if you are concerned about value, you should just restore it. or keep as close as possible to as is right now. Survivor cars are the rarest. You can never reproduce wear. IMHO, I'd just get it back in running driving shape and replace as little as possible.

Oh and *ahem*
:worthles:

Get Chip Foose to overhaul it.
Then it will be worth 200 grand with a Chevy LS engine in it, Ford 9'', and a 700r4 tranny. It will be 2 toned with a leather interior and 50,000 jigawatt stereo and 20'' wheels with nitto tires.
You will love it.

Get Chip Foose to overhaul it.
Then it will be worth 200 grand with a Chevy LS engine in it, Ford 9'', and a 700r4 tranny. It will be 2 toned with a leather interior and 50,000 jigawatt stereo and 20'' wheels with nitto tires.
You will love it.

Thats funny as hell and also mean :)

Do as you like with the car is my thoughts. If you are planning on keeping it anyway.

get chip foose to overhaul it.
Then it will be worth 200 grand with a chevy ls engine in it, ford 9'', and a 700r4 tranny. It will be 2 toned with a leather interior and 50,000 jigawatt stereo and 20'' wheels with nitto tires.
You will love it.
lol

I have found them under carpet, in the headliner, behind the glove box liner, on top of the heater box, under the back or front seat .....I even found one under the package tray. On a fastback it could even be behind the side panels in the fastback area or under the false floor section that fastbacks have to make the floor flat behind the back seat

I talked to a lady who restored a Judge..she found the build on top of the gas tank...

Two door hardtop!!!! BH23H- BUILT 53. Two door sport hardtop!!!! BH29H- BUILT 331. I would look into getting a fender tag and build sheet made , but that is just me , when you get down to two and three digits, it to me is very rare.

-
Back