Ouch...sticks out like a sore thumb.

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I'm disassembling my k member today. I am using a handy dandy tie rod splitter. But of course my hammer skills suck to say the least! You guessed it I smashed my thumb. :violent1: Couple choice words, a walk around the shop and back at it. When I was finishing up I figured I would "release the pressure" on it. I've heard about a hypodermic needle being twisted and or a small drill bit. Not being a junkie, I don't carry needles, so I decided to use a bit. The smallest one I have is 1/16". It was new so it was clean. So there I am taking my time spinning it back and fourth by hand slowly so I don't jam it in too hard. Well you cant tell when it's about to penetrate and wham its through. Of course I continued to rotate it in the forward direction which by natural action of the bit pulled it down onto the flesh underneath. OUCH!!! :banghead: That hurt more than the initial hit did. A few more words and another walk and I was able to grab a rag to sop up the releasing blood. It feels better with the pressure gone, but next time, and there will be, I will be more cautious as it is nearing the end! :eek:ops:

Believe it or not, I feel your pain. It's a lot easier to run the 1/16" drill through a piece of 1/2 or 3/4" dowel rod roughly 1/2" long. Stop drilling when the bit is sticking out of the dowel roughly 1/4" and cut the shank off even with the surface of the piece of dowel. A little dab of epoxy on top keeps the bit in place. Makes the bit less wobbly and gives you more control. Dad was a show off and made his out of knurled brass, but he was a machinist. Also a handy tool for drilling drain holes in headlights that have a condensation problem.

Been there.......done that...........my sympathies!!

I was drilling a hole into a steel pipe last summer and the bit slid off the pipe and went into my thumb...that was a good time. [ame="http://www.break.com/usercontent/2008/3/idiot-slams-nail-through-his-friends-hand-466839"]Watch Idiot Slams Nail Through His Friends Hand Video | Break.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://embed.break.com/466839@@AMEPARAM@@466839[/ame]

That was what we did for 500 bucks in high school.

Ouch....I dropped a door on a piece of Postal equipment on my foot once. Big toe took the hit. Nail turned black. We had a lot of rain after it happened. Had to spend a few hours in the yard digging a ditch to get rid of the flood. When we were done I was in the bathroom taking my shoes/socks off. The nail ended up standing on end. Only thing holding it on was at the front edge of it. Fred, a Black & Tan Coonhound I had at the time seen it and pulled it off. I was laying on the floor, in tears as Fred stood there chewing on it.....

Dumbest post of the night.Managed a small Napa.Threw a gas tank in the overhead storage.Heard a slow cycle.Looked up,a large masking paper roll,fell on my toe.Talk about stupid.

I had my thumb crushed in a 50 ton break (for bending tin), and the hospital used a hot pin to melt through my nail to release the pressure.

Ive heard a few of my friend use the drill bit trick.....never tried it, dunno if I ever will!

Ink, that is one helluva way to clip your nails!! My oh my!!!!

Ok what did you learn . I can tell you what i learned lol Dont hit your self with you hammer hahahaha JK to make you feel better i hit my self 2 times with a Pri bar in the face needless to say when the blood started pooring out of my head on the #2 hit i was done taking that tire off the rim . I went in the house with blood running down my shirt (white ) and my gf seen me . and ask what did you do this time . lol I said i got in a fight with a tire and she said it looks like it won . I said it did . now look and tell me how many stickies im going to need this time .. i got lucky none was needed but but it sure did bleed alot and hurt like hell i seen stars lol

I've hit my thumb with a hammer before, sucks when you keep going and hit it a second time..oooouuch.

My left thumb has been hit a few times gdrill and after a hour I go to the sowing box and heat up the biggest needle I can find and but 2 holes in my nail
Granted it smells terrible but it does works, my Grandmother did it for me the fisrt time when I folded a ladder on one of my middle finger..
Keep it covered and use an antibiotic cream under a band aid
I think my hart rate went up reading your post :shock:

To keep from doing it again lock a pair of vise grips around the shaft of the fork, chisel, or punch etc. and use it as a handle to hold while you pound on it.

When i was 17 i was at the shop and we had a big one ton dually diesel on the drive on lift and gary was at one end letting it down and i was at the other, i saw a drop light fall under neath so i told him to stop and reached under to move it. Then he went back to letting it down and i was standing a bit to close as it came down right on my big toe. It smashed it and made the knuckle stretch apart breifley. I said "up! Up! Up! Up" and he thought i was kidding till he saw how panicked i was lol went in the office and took my shoe off and blood poured out. Nail didnt come off for a couple weeks. Dorma (a horse rancher who worked there) had some vet supplies in her truck and made me soak it in ice water then vet wrapped me up gave me two asprin and back to work i went. Just a little more hobbley hahaha oh and the boss was laughing sayin i better get back to work if i wanna make him enough money he can pay workmans comp lol

To prevent myself from doing that, I just keep my thumb in a warm dark place.

Been there, done that, probably doing it tomorrow.

To keep from doing it again lock a pair of vise grips around the shaft of the fork, chisel, or punch etc. and use it as a handle to hold while you pound on it.

Yup.

After having to drill a nail or two a couple of times I figured this to be the solution.

Smallest drill bit you can find, worked slowly with the fingers is the way to relieve the ouchy.

Ok what did you learn . I can tell you what i learned lol Dont hit your self with you hammer hahahaha JK to make you feel better i hit my self 2 times with a Pri bar in the face needless to say when the blood started pooring out of my head on the #2 hit i was done taking that tire off the rim . I went in the house with blood running down my shirt (white ) and my gf seen me . and ask what did you do this time . lol I said i got in a fight with a tire and she said it looks like it won . I said it did . now look and tell me how many stickies im going to need this time .. i got lucky none was needed but but it sure did bleed alot and hurt like hell i seen stars lol

Asa I don't think you have to worry about that. You like playing wacky mole too much. :-\"

Well I can honestly say I drilled a hole in my leg beside my knee after the bit slipped off the thermostat I was trying to drill a small hole in

Hi All
Done this a number of times through misadventure, hammers, pinch bars, etc...
Best way is to heat up a small needle in a pair of vice grips and let it burn through the nail. The needle goes in easy (almost no pressure) and the blood cools the needle when it hits. Never really pushed it in too far to cause more pain than the nail is providing.

One time I climbed in my buddy's 69 Dart GTS, 340 4 speed and as I climbed in the passenger side with my right hand on the door armrest/handle and my left gripping the windshield pillar he hammered it in 1st gear. The door slammed shut and my left thumb was still outside, pinched between the window and the weatherstrip. That turned a really nice shade of plum crazy purple. Nearly crushed my right foot as well.

So I'm disassembling my k member today. I am using a handy dandy tie rod splitter. But of course my hammer skills suck to say the least! You guessed it I smashed my thumb. :violent1: Couple choice words, a walk around the shop and back at it. When I was finishing up I figured I would "release the pressure" on it. I've heard about a hypodermic needle being twisted and or a small drill bit. Not being a junkie, I don't carry needles, so I decided to use a bit. The smallest one I have is 1/16". It was new so it was clean. So there I am taking my time spinning it back and fourth by hand slowly so I don't jam it in too hard. Well you cant tell when it's about to penetrate and wham its through. Of course I continued to rotate it in the forward direction which by natural action of the bit pulled it down onto the flesh underneath. OUCH!!! :banghead: That hurt more than the initial hit did. A few more words and another walk and I was able to grab a rag to sop up the releasing blood. It feels better with the pressure gone, but next time, and there will be, I will be more cautious as it is nearing the end! :eek:ops:

So.....
Did you use a gdrill bit? :D

-
Back