Over budget 318 build

-
What will tick you off is when you can't buy a single piston set of rings and need to buy a whole set.

Hopefully it only happens... once! Lol
They do make ring expander pliers. The ones with the lock on them work the best. You don't over stretch them that way.

piston ring expander.jpg

If you were going to buy a dipstick for this motor, (since I don't have one) Would this one work?

DODGE Speedmaster PCE295-1007 Procomp Electronics Engine Oil Dipsticks | Summit Racing

That should work. Just make sure you verify that the full mark is accurate. Depending on pan capacity, pour that amount of oil in the pan and let it sit for a bit and then pull the stick. If te oil isn’t close to the full Mark just make a new mark.

The last two I had to do were on the money, but that’s not the brand I used.

That should work. Just make sure you verify that the full mark is accurate. Depending on pan capacity, pour that amount of oil in the pan and let it sit for a bit and then pull the stick. If te oil isn’t close to the full Mark just make a new mark.

The last two I had to do were on the money, but that’s not the brand I used.

Ok thanks! I’ll put it on the shopping list

Got my order in today. Now to get that last piston in. Had to buy a whole new set of rings but least I’m ready to go now. When I get it in, these ARP bolts for the rods will need torqued. My engine builder ordered the bolts. What would torque spec be?

Got my order in today. Now to get that last piston in. Had to buy a whole new set of rings but least I’m ready to go now. When I get it in, these ARP bolts for the rods will need torqued. My engine builder ordered the bolts. What would torque spec be?
Never mind, took me awhile but I found it

970A0CDE-861E-4132-B492-6CDAE8DEF153.png

Not a lot of time working on the engine in the past month but still working on the car. Ended up with a final decision on my cam. Lunati 702. Just came in the mail yesterday. I got the cam and lifter kit together. Hopefully degree the cam in with @SSG_Karg help. Then get the balancer on and button up the lower end.

FD32F1E0-E340-4B7B-870D-3DA437844DF7.jpeg

Not a lot of time working on the engine in the past month but still working on the car. Ended up with a final decision on my cam. Lunati 702. Just came in the mail yesterday. I got the cam and lifter kit together. Hopefully degree the cam in with @ssgkarg help. Then get the balancer on and button up the lower end.

View attachment 1715676630

Remember to replace the springs too! =)

Not a lot of time working on the engine in the past month but still working on the car. Ended up with a final decision on my cam. Lunati 702. Just came in the mail yesterday. I got the cam and lifter kit together. Hopefully degree the cam in with @SSG_Karg help. Then get the balancer on and button up the lower end.

View attachment 1715676630
Let me know when you’re ready to stab it in and we’ll get her dialed in. She’s gonna be a ripper!

Can we elaborate on this a bit. Do you mean taking the inner springs off for break in? Or will the springs on the heads not work with this cam? What am I missing...
I believe Ottmundr is referring to changing the springs to match the required specifications for the camshaft (open/closed loads, spring rate, coil bind clearance, etc.) if you have not already done so.

I believe Ottmundr is referring to changing the springs to match the required specifications for the camshaft (open/closed loads, spring rate, coil bind clearance, etc.) if you have not already done so.

Yes. Go with the spring kit that Lunati recommends for the cam. The kit that they recommended for my 10200701 had both outer and inner springs, and SPECIFICALLY stated for me to ONLY use the outer springs and discard the inner springs. You have the 702, right? Call up Lunati and ask them for the correct spring kit for YOUR cam. I can't remember how much I paid, maybe a hundred bucks? This was about four years ago I bought them.
Also follow their recommendation for the break in for springs as well as the cam.

And most importantly, share the car ****! :poke:

pics_or_it_didnt_happen.jpg

1 step forward, 2 back. I bought those SM heads complete so I didn't have to mess around with the springs. Wish I would have thought about it when ordering the cam. Wonder if SM has specs for the heads I have...

Yes. Go with the spring kit that Lunati recommends for the cam. The kit that they recommended for my 10200701 had both outer and inner springs, and SPECIFICALLY stated for me to ONLY use the outer springs and discard the inner springs. You have the 702, right? Call up Lunati and ask them for the correct spring kit for YOUR cam. I can't remember how much I paid, maybe a hundred bucks? This was about four years ago I bought them.
Also follow their recommendation for the break in for springs as well as the cam.

And most importantly, share the car ****! :poke:

View attachment 1715677021
Yes the 702. Ill have to look into what they recommend. Thanks.:thumbsup:

-
Back