Overcharging Problem

-

kris66cuda

Reaction score
Hey guys so i just swapped a 360 into my 66 cuda it had a slant 6 in it before. I have ecently gotten a new alternaor and i have gone through 3 voltage regulators. What is happening is that as i am driving my ammeter goes all the way to charge and the wire going to that gauge gets really hot and starts to smoke. What could be causing this issue?

Im stumped

Thanks

Ditto above, problem in the wiring harness or bulkhead connector. The VR falsely senses the battery too low (via key switch) and applies full-field to the alternator. My question is why are your VR's failing. It should be able to run the field full blast all day long.

Are you using an original VR (for round-back alt) with a newer alt (square back)? If so, you can get a modern electronic VR that fits in place of your original one (same connectors). I got a thin chrome one for ~$11 (rockauto I recall). I expect it will work fine with a squareback alt. For more money, I understand you can get one that looks like your bigger black box VR, but electronic.

sorry a bit confused on the type of alternators how do you tell the difference also i did have some wures that burned last summer but replaced them would it matter on what type of gauge wire i used.

The ballast has nothing at all to do with the charging system, unless the dark blue happens to junction there to go to the regulator. You may have moved the harness and "made" a bad connection.

Ya talked to my dad too he thinks that when we pulled evrything off we made a better ground with the voltage regulator

GET A NEW REGULATOR early mopar had small amp alternators and when you put on a new alt. your regulater cannat take all the amps and pop goes the weasle make sure you dont ground nothing out or you pop it again get a floating 85 amp regulator and youll be fine the next thing you want to do is start upgrading your wiring its 45 years old cracked and broke where you cant even see its bad at just watch not to ground anything out you should be good to go evem a small bump would ground out and pop the regulator a new heavyer 1 will ,take a lil more juice you"ll notice your lights being briter and your interior lights better its better all around good luck
hope it helps if not lotta good peeps on here to get you fixed up rite

GET A NEW REGULATOR early mopar had small amp alternators and when you put on a new alt. your regulater cannat take all the amps and pop goes the weasle make sure you dont ground nothing out or you pop it again get a floating 85 amp regulator and youll be fine the next thing you want to do is start upgrading your wiring its 45 years old cracked and broke where you cant even see its bad at just watch not to ground anything out you should be good to go evem a small bump would ground out and pop the regulator a new heavyer 1 will ,take a lil more juice you"ll notice your lights being briter and your interior lights better its better all around good luck
nice sentence , that made my brain hurt lol. i have put on MANY new alternators with old regulators and never had an issue. the regulator is supposed to be grounded.

nice sentence , that made my brain hurt lol. i have put on MANY new alternators with old regulators and never had an issue. the regulator is supposed to be grounded.

(and grounded good) I put a new (electronic) regulator on and it wasn't grounded good enough. It boiled the battery and blew almost every light bulb out in the car as well as the amp meter. The battery boiled so bad it splattered acid on my drivers valve cover and Leanna had a heck of a time getting powder coat to stick when she did my valve covers. LOL tmm

This makes my brain hurt but what I can understand of it is largely INcorrect.

Bigger Mopar alternators use the same regulator as smaller ones

A "floating" regulator? Never heard of one. Does it come with a Switlik?

switlikmd-3liferaft%28valise%29.jpg

then 67Dart273 shocks us all with the breaking news that he doesn't like me,

This makes my brain hurt but what I can understand of it is largely INcorrect.

Bigger Mopar alternators use the same regulator as smaller ones

A "floating" regulator? Never heard of one. Does it come with a Switlik?

LOL, yes , you know , the kind that David Copperfield runs in his mopars

(and grounded good) I put a new (electronic) regulator on and it wasn't grounded good enough. It boiled the battery and blew almost every light bulb out in the car as well as the amp meter. The battery boiled so bad it splattered acid on my drivers valve cover and Leanna had a heck of a time getting powder coat to stick when she did my valve covers. LOL tmm

Uh huh ... I knew it. :-D

-
Back