Overpriced Used Parts for A bodies

-
I remember the crate engine when it just came out. I think the reason the motor and everything else that Mopar is trying to sell went up is because Mopar Perf. = Dealership = $$$$$
I agree - Please don't buy those crate motors!! What a rip off!
Build your own, or have a reputable engine builder build it for half the cost....
And be higher performance....

Lol... Forty plus years ago. Not really many being daily driven wrecked and parted out now days either.

A lot of "A" body parts cannot be bought without a search and the world wide web today. Being that you can't just go down the street and expect most parts to be sitting on a shelf at a local retailer. I would say "A" body parts are somewhat rare and can often be hard to find depending on the item.

A while back I was working on a 93 Ford work truck with a 460 engine. Looking for a water pump locally. No luck at all from local dealers or parts houses, had to order online or special order. I was surprised that no one locally would stock a part as common as a 460 water pump. That truck was at least twenty years newer than most of our "A" body cars.
this guy lives in realsville!when i started going to wreckers for parts the chrysler section was filled with a body cars.**** people used to give them to me.(3) now there is an occasional a body and the rest is kcars and junked neons.so yes stuff is getting scarce.unless you take your vacation with keith,cause those will be gone to sooner than later.....

The price of scrap is so high they are disappearing faster then you think. None of us would Just take them as we find them to the scrap yard .

But what about the other 99% that don't really care about Mopar that are scrapping. I have seen several going into scrap yards. Not salvage yards. Then all those plentiful cars and parts disappear forever. They don't get store for the future Car owners for parts.

So what I did years ago. is really paying off right now. There is very little I have to find to make a fully optioned 340 Demon and Duster 340. Just some little parts I have lost. Or sold buy mistake.

And I can still help others with some parts. But do I deserve a profit for saving these parts or should I just give them away to the assholes that weren't as smart or just lazy? Or sell them cheap to someone that is building a car to sell it at an astronomical price for profit.

There are a lot of guys on this site that buy the cars and the parts to build cars to sell. And they are the biggest complainers of the prices. It cuts into there profit. The more these parts cost the less they make, And they are not use to making less for more.

I have sold parts to some of the same guys that I bought from. Isn't it funny how once they have the part how much rarer that part gets, and the values double. But let them need that part. They'll know where they can get others cheaper but would rather buy your part for the same price to help you out.

So parts are only over priced if you are not happy with what you bought. In saying that it doesn't matter what the part cost as long as your happy with what you paid for. If your not who's to blame.

It's even worse on EBay, was looking today and Summit even sells cheaper than what I saw. I can usually go to O'Reilys and buy new for 1\2 the price of used on EBay

I agree - Please don't buy those crate motors!! What a rip off!
Build your own, or have a reputable engine builder build it for half the cost....
And be higher performance....

At the time, I had just rebuilt my 318 engine. Then the 360 crate motor comes out and I was a little bummed as the price was reasonable. But I still had to get the car smog checked so I was better off by rebuilding the 318 and running a smog friendly cam and switching carbs for the smog check. I did run most mopar perf. parts as they were not expensive. (pistons, cam, fan, dist. etc...) I got 67k miles on my rebuild so far.

The price of scrap is so high they are disappearing faster then you think. None of us would Just take them as we find them to the scrap yard .

But what about the other 99% that don't really care about Mopar that are scrapping. I have seen several going into scrap yards. Not salvage yards. Then all those plentiful cars and parts disappear forever. They don't get store for the future Car owners for parts.

So what I did years ago. is really paying off right now. There is very little I have to find to make a fully optioned 340 Demon and Duster 340. Just some little parts I have lost. Or sold buy mistake.

And I can still help others with some parts. But do I deserve a profit for saving these parts or should I just give them away to the assholes that weren't as smart or just lazy? Or sell them cheap to someone that is building a car to sell it at an astronomical price for profit.

There are a lot of guys on this site that buy the cars and the parts to build cars to sell. And they are the biggest complainers of the prices. It cuts into there profit. The more these parts cost the less they make, And they are not use to making less for more.

I have sold parts to some of the same guys that I bought from. Isn't it funny how once they have the part how much rarer that part gets, and the values double. But let them need that part. They'll know where they can get others cheaper but would rather buy your part for the same price to help you out.

So parts are only over priced if you are not happy with what you bought. In saying that it doesn't matter what the part cost as long as your happy with what you paid for. If your not who's to blame.
you are correct!i have some cars that I bought in the sixties-one that I bought new and had to buy back from x wife.hobby-just something I want to do but on the cheap and when I say"hobby"that immediately says-you owe me parts or cars because I want!And if you are on a car site you should let all the members come get the parts they want for the price they want to pay .since I have owned these cars not one of them has ate one bale of hay.The last time we crushed I sent 21 out.i just got tired of people looking at the hulls and expecting freebies.thats not even close to the cars /trucks parts cars that I have left.you need an aluminum hyper pak or a ball stud hemi- yeah I got em,everything is for sale.Cheap or free,you might start looking into K cars.

you want to talk over priced parts? I just got a cam shaft thrust plate from a member here and you know how much I had to pay! FCS, I almost had a heart attach.......... ZERO! he didnt want anything for it. Of course I cant take anything for ZERO so he will be happy when he opens the mail.

FYI, I paid 600.00 bones for a dash harness from year one for my Demon.... ouch

Everything I have bought from members here has been reasonably priced although I have bought a couple of items off of the dreaded e-bay for prices I couldn't even come close to getting here.You just have to shop around.

I list my parts with shipping include so the price may seem high but add the shipping . And that is for a vintage part you cannot get in repo. My parts are always clean to bare metal and usually coated. As for a gas cap the cost 70 dollars. Go find a 71 painted cap for a Demon. I have two painted for each car. Also when I sell a cap it comes from a fill tube that I need to sell missing the cap..

The last cap I sold for a 71 was to a member that came here . I sold it for $30 dollars in a package deal. I won't sell anymore due to being that hard to get . 67 -70 are all the same 72 up are the ones they repo. But they do not clock correct on the 67-70. And they won't come close to fitting a 71.

Also if you think that was a lot for a mirror Check out the prices of painted sport mirrors. Or a repo that is no where near the quality of a used original.

My vise is pretty big. The bigger your balls the harder I squeeze. . Many members have come here and almost filled their vehicle. I give them a price and they make me an offer . That is the fun of the hobby personal interacting and laughing.They always left with what they needed that I had and were more than happy. The more you buy the less you pay. Especially if your a sit down and bullshit kind of guy. I don't like hit and runs unless I am busy.

If so I get you what you need through a number out and then get the hell out of here. Steve

Also you can always make an offer if the price is to high. But most of you just yell rape.
OK Oldman, Pm me with your info so when I get back into the restro of this car in a month or so I can call you for the parts I need.. Where in Pa. are you?? Im going to need alot of stuff to upgrade what is there now. Like the rear diff. add sway bars. etc."So I'll Come On Down if I can be the next contestant on the price is right"...Lol...Bill

Ok. Lets go back in time. 1991
1970 Dodge dart for sale. $500
The guy actually gave it to me for less because it needed a smog check.

aqqq.jpg

I've found that patience is the key. And timing- I've bought a few things from guys on here that were real bargains just because I happened to be on the site when the item was first posted. I recently bought a 71 Swinger as a donor car for my 71 Demon build. I could not find a front bench seat with the headrests and good tracks for under $350 plus shipping if they were willing to ship. Also needed the front windshield, both front fenders, and the dash. Got the Swinger for $800 delivered and don't have to pay for all the different parts or shipping. Deals are out there but the market conditions set the price- supply and demand. If the price is too high the part won't sell. If it does sell then obviously the price wasn't too high.

What gets me is the low ballers. They are just offensive to me.

I can not believe that you could not find a front bench, I had one in the classified here a couple of years ago, which I still have for $50.00, it has head-rests and good tracks.
Nobody wanted it.

The simple fact is supply and demand.
Most of the nice B and E bodies are now bought up and restored, the same thing is happening to the A bodies.
Next will be the F bodies.

-
Back