Oversize Lifter Required

-

Zippie#7

Reaction score
I said I would keep everyone up to date on my problem of "oversize lifter", so here is where I am at the present time.
First, let me give a big "Thank You" to Paul for all his help in hopefully solving this problem.
First, I ordered a set of HL-230-921 Lifters from Mondello performance Products and within three working days, WALA 16 each lifters .921" dia.
I took one of these lifters to my machine shop and asked them to "grind" off a few thousands to get it down to .913" that I needed. "We'll give er a try they told me. No word from the machine shop to date!
Next, Paul had asked me to check my block for a diamond stamp at the front of the block to see if it came from the factory with the over size lifter. WALA, sure enough, I found the diamond, came from the factory with a .008" over slug!.
Next, my good friend Steve, that is helping me build these two 340 engines wanted a couple of these slug's to check the hardness, what he found was that these slugs had a hardness of HRC85!, WOW, that's hard. He said a stock lifter is around HRC35. the next problem is "push rod", going to half to make one to fit, we think we can do it, but all in all, this is very interesting. More to come. Stay tuned!

My 340 also has a diamond. Guy who used to own it dropped in a cam and new hyd lifters. Oil pressure was fine when I pulled the motor.

Hughes installs bushings.

My friend Steve returned to me my turned down Lifter that I needed for my oversize bore in my 340 that I am rebuilding. WOW, worked just fine, now we need to cut down a push rod to fit this new lifter. Steve is in the process of reworking the push rod as I write. Should have this 340 all together soon, will keep you informed. The Machine shop I took one of the lifters to has never called me back! not a good sign.

I thought I had it in my head somewhere that there "was a lifter" part no that was the correct size out of the box? This was the closest you could find I guess?

(I've got a 30 over 340 block out there with the dreaded "stamp")

This is what brought me to favor and kept me here. Interesting tech I can learn from. Thanks for posting about this. I. Wouldn't have known about the diamond.

It is on the front right top of the block near the serial number. It is more a laid over rectangle. Somewhere there is a decoder for the marks and it shows the diamond.

So how did my '69 340 work OK with regular Comp lifters?

BTW, I am assuming the guy put in Comps as I have not taken the motor apart since pulling it. I am leaning toward selling the motor complete / running.

PO may of already had bushings installed in the oversized bores. Won't know till you mic them all.

IIRC ... That diamond indicated a no. of issues the engine could have .. lifter bores, cranks with .001/.002 undersized rod and/or main bearings,, seems to me some cyl bores were weird too..

-
Back