P code Big Block Duster ????

-

mrmopardave

Reaction score
I just bought a 70 Duster and misc parts from a guy yesterday . In addition to the 70 he has a 73 0r 74 Duster that has a lot of good parts that im probably going to buy too . My question is the engine code is clearly a P which indicates to me a 400 car . Ive never heard of a factory big block duster . Was there such a car ? I was just going to part and scrap it , but maybe thats a bad idea . Is this something of value ? It has no engine or trans and is not worth much to me besides center console , bucket seats , 1 / 4 panels , fenders , misc small parts etc . Any general advice or feedback ?? Thanks in advance ..

A "P" code Duster is not a big block car. No such thing as a factory big block Duster.
The "P" code on the engine should indeed be a 400 from the mid to late 70's. I am doing this exact engine in a early Duster very soon. Those P code engines came in Magnum's, Cordobas, Fury, etc.... B bodies.

What engine would of came in this car then ? The 5th didgit on the vin tag is clearly a P , it also has a fender tag that matches

The P in your code is for Premium price.
Engine size is the 5 digit and it could be a /6 or a small block V-8.1 digit, = model
2nd = price
3rd & 4th = body style
5th = engine
6th = model year
7th = asembly plant
8 - 13 digits are production numbers

What's the engine code on the fender tag? It will be on the bottom line of the fender tag and will be three digits with the first being a capital E (E**).

A 'P' for the engine code in 73/74 is definitely for a 400 but that was never offered in a Duster or any A-body.Chrysler is known for making some oddball and special order cars but I can't see them building a special order big block Duster,especially in the smog years when every engine/body style had to be emission certified.
If the code is a "P" my best guess is that it's a factory misprint and the engine code on the fender tag will indicate the correct engine for the car.
Is there an engine in the car now or an emissions sticker under the hood?

I looked up a P code for the series on the Valiant line (second digit on the VIN) and a "VP" comes up as a Valiant Brougham which were'nt built in a Duster body.

I looked at the vin tag and it was very clearly VS29P , I didnt look at the fender tag myself , but the guy that has the car indicated the that he had ran the #s on the fender tag and coinsided with the vin tag .... I ll have to look at it myself ... probably mis-stamped at factory ...

Screw it. Find a date correct 400 driveline and let the number guys go nuts....

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

:scratch: :scratch:

:)

Attachments

• Worthless Without Pics.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 649
Im going to pick up the 70 next Sat and will take som pics of car , fender tag , vin tag etc .... who knows ???

Sorry for your pessimism RumbleFish ... I have 2 CLOSE friends that worked on assembly lines in the early 70s ( Hamtrack and LA ) and the stories of what went on and what left the factorys are mind blowing ... not trying to legit this car .... i simply dont know

So quit your yammerin and post up pics of this fender tag and the VIN.

Without......

pitchers-xmas07-lg.jpg

This thread is worthless

29778640011_large.jpg

I agree about never say never. I remember an issue of one of the Mopar rags several years back where they found I think it was a '72 Road Runner with 440 six pack coding and 3/8" fuel line. Galen even looked at that car and said it was likely the real deal. It was a total basket case with no drive train, but still. 1972. Wasn't supposed to happen. Nonetheless, I would think the OP would be chomping at the bit to splatter that fender tag and VIN all over kingdom come to show it off. I know I would. That's the only thing that's suspect to me so far.

Seeing how the 400 did not even come out till 1972 and the Duster never came with a big block, I think it is either a mis-type or somebody is trying to pull somebodies leg.

Ever try to put a BB in a Duster at the factory without BB specific parts??

Until then......

LackOfPictures.jpg

He says the thing is a 73-74. So the 400 wouldda been out. They wouldda either had to have some left over A body bb manifolds or done somethin different. Then what for mounts? But it's soundin more bogus by the minute without pics.

Neva say neva Rumble LOL

This is one of the rare times you'll see me say that and stand by it. Neva happening.

Sorry for your pessimism RumbleFish ... I have 2 CLOSE friends that worked on assembly lines in the early 70s ( Hamtrack and LA ) and the stories of what went on and what left the factorys are mind blowing ... not trying to legit this car .... i simply dont know

Sorry you think the way you do and I don't care if who your buddies are, big block factory Duster aint happening. You get me a picture of your freinds on the factory floor fitting one in and I'll call the B.S. card and point the finger at photo shopping.

Dont be sorry for me, I'm sorry for you being gullable.

Seeing how the 400 did not even come out till 1972 and the Duster never came with a big block, I think it is either a mis-type or somebody is trying to pull somebodies leg.

Jumps up and down pointing finger screaming......
"Yea, what he said, what he said.....
no matter the year"

Until then......
LackOfPictures.jpg
[/QUOTE]

-
Back