P38 Lightning

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
Had my buddy make this up for my dad. My Dad like vintage aircraft and the P38 is one he really likes. We worked on it a little bit and found that air craft doesnt lend itself to well to cutting.. but we came up with this and I think its pretty dang cool. Dad liked it a lot. My buddy finished it in copper/torch finish. The lighting doesnt really show the finish to well in the pic... but its really neat.

Thought I would share. If by chance you like P38's and are interested in one of these shoot me a p.m. as this isnt a "for sale" ad.

P1030844.jpg

-RPM

That's cool ! M y father in law would have liked it.
He flew one for a while in WW2.
The one he flew the most was a P-47 Thunderbolt.

View attachment seSacHap Medium Web view.jpg here's one of him by his P-47

View attachment P-38Group Medium Web view.jpg here he's third guy from the left bottom row in front of a P-38

Here's one they restored for a museum the pilot that flew it was from a little town near here.
View attachment IMG_1748 Medium Web view.jpg

View attachment IMG_1749 Medium Web view.jpg

One of my all time favorite aircraft. Lockheed was king, in it's day, and responsible for many innovative aircraft

Google up "Glacier Girl"

My neighbor in Ohio flew one during the war and loved it.
He was helping restore one back in the 70's (I think it was at Wright-Pat) but he passed before it was finished.

My grandfather wrenched on those and C-47's (aka DC-3's) during WWII.
Said before every flight, the pilots were constantly reminded that if they had to bail, to flip the plane upside down.
He said that if they didn't the tail would cut them in half.
I also asked if was able to fly them. He told me "G-D right I could fly em!"
said because he wasn't an officer, he was supposed to be too stupid to fly. Said it rarely stopped him and how was he supposed to fix something if he couldn't duplicate the problems. Said several mechanics were able to fly.
He loved those P38's

very cool the p38 is one of my all time favorite airplanes, that and the F-4U

I wish I had pictures of my Father in laws 2nd wifes dad's project. He built a slightly smaller scaled down version in his driveway of a P-38 powered by a pair of Chevy V-8's. I think it was. The whole plane fit into the driveway.

-
Back