Pacer RT 340

-

pacerrt340

Reaction score
HI All, this is my 1st attempt at posting a new thread...
So Im nearing the end of reassembling my 1972 model Valiant Hardtop.
FABO has been a great resource and only today it has once again come to my rescue.
I bought some aftermarket 1" torsion bars and the were no markings to ID their orientation.
After a bit of research on FABO I was able to identify the components as well as access all the info I needed for installing them.

Hopefully, the 3 images I think I have attached will appear also and may be of some interest...

Cheers Scott K
WA, Australia

Attachments

• IMG_1686.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_1687.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 530
  • Vit C VH 72 Hardtop.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 537
One day im going to find a way to get one of these in the US. Love these cars! Looks great

That's beautiful! Since you've in restoration forum,will we see more?

Why on earth did they not use that body style here in the US? That is awesome looking!

Hi all, so the photos work and thanks for all the kind remarks. I have quite a few more photo of the resto so far that I'll post in the next day or so.
Tomorrow I'll have all the front susp and steering back in and back on its wheels.
Cheers Scott

That's the non-fastback equivalent of the Charger, correct.

I want one as well.

I'm a big fan of "off continent" Mopar products and the differences and similarities.

They do show up over here occasionally, and I've come close to buying two of them, although they were 68 and 69 models, which look more like Darts but were RHD with a LOT of subtle differences..

Very nice Scott. Same as Charger interior layout?

The thread title with "Pacer" in it had me wondering though.............

Hi YY1, yes my hardtop started off the same as VCE318's pictures.
These "23" bodies are the same as the charger "29" bodies from the doors forward. But they are 11 inches longer in the will base with a totally different rear end.
CAL sold the Dart 23 bodies here in 70 and 71 (RHD) with local front fenders and I would

Very nice Scott. Same as Charger interior layout?

The thread title with "Pacer" in it had me wondering though.............

Oh please you weren't thinking about the AMC Pacer right? LOL kiddin'

These Aussie Mopars are pretty cool lookin' though.

Thanks Dave The "23" body hardtops were never available as an "S" in Australia, only the Charger "29" bodies were (those were the RTs) and they also did a four door sedan "41S" that was called a "Pacer".
So I have set about rebuilding mine as something CAL never built,... that is a 23S and I think the beast way to describe it is as a "Pacer Hardtop RT"

OK so she's back in her wheels and the engine and trans back in too.
I have a few clash issues with the 15x7s with 245/60s on the front - the tyre is rubbing slightly on the lower tie rod ends. (Probably because of the 2" drop spindles)
I think I can fix it with 8-10mm spacers
The rear sits pretty high which clears the 15x8s with 275/60s - but I'm going to crank it down an 1" or 2" to see what is looks like.
I'll do a mock up off the RT stripes at the same time to see how the whole "package" looks.
If it needs to come down I'll have to either shorten the diff or get the lip on the guards rolled up a little.

The Sparky is booked for Tuesday next week to finish off the engine bay wiring and then it'll be ready to fire up the 318.
(The 318 will get a run for a few months until the 340/6PK is ready!)

Restore the mech.s in the front seats and then we're back on the road!
Should be another 3-4 weeks

Attachments

• IMG_1959.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1958.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1937.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1859.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1746.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1744.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 227
Hi EXcappa, the RT dash is made out of a standard dash unit. There is a guy in Perth who has had the fascias made and PPR have the instrument decals

Back on the road again...
front end still needs a little sorting - I'll go back to 225/235s for the fronts (anyone need a pair of 245/60 TAs?)
The rear end is still too high to clear the 15x8s with 275/60s - but I've shortened the diff a little and a pair of 1.5" lowering block will do the trick.
Custom RT stripes (based on the Aussie RT Charger type) done.

The 318 is running fine and I just paid my 340/6PK a visit down at the engine shop.
Ill use the next few months across winter to sort out the bugs and get ready for a 450hp engine swap later this year.

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2062.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

-
Back