Painless or EZ

-

spacewelder

Reaction score
Guys I am geting ready to wire my 74 Dart and need to know what harness to use. Should I use the Painless one or the one from EZ? The car has a 318 stroker in it with a 727 Darryl Young tranny. I just want the interior and everything to look original. So I will be using all the original gages and such. Any help would be great. It will be a sleeper for sure!

So what are your suggestions? I will take all the help I can get! Should I just go with all original or what.

i went with an american auto wire kit ( a lot nicer and more complete then the ones you listed).

personally i would go american auto wire or ron francis...

haven't heard much good about painless kits and have seen a ez in person. no thanks.

guess it all depends what your doing with the car as to if stock would be ok.

What about the summit or jegs kits? They are like 300 and are labled just like the American Auto kits..anyone? Im jw

What about the summit or jegs kits? They are like 300 and are labled just like the American Auto kits..anyone? Im jw

how complete are they? the more it comes with the less you need to go buy when doing it to do it the right way.

They do not come with switches like the American auto but also are universal. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-890021/?rtype=10

I guess might be alright if you are staying close to original. No?

i don't know man... me i don't like the looks of that kit. i liked the AAW kit because i have my choice of where to put and how to run things. that kit from summit is pre wired at the box. limits things in my opinion. theres still a ton of stuff needed to correctly wire your car thats not included in that summit kit. to do things right you'll have to buy all the terminals to rewire all you light sockets, and various plugs through out the car. that gets expensive fast.

make sure you take a step back and think about what really needs to be done to rewire the car correctly before you decide on a kit. i mean your not going to run all new wire to within a foot of any of light sockets then use the old wires to go to the bulb right? i mean that kinda defeats the purpose of wiring the car right? what about the ign switch, turn signal switch , headlight, high beam switch...etc..etc...etc.. connectors.. they all need to be rewired. you don't want to splice the wires and use the old wire into the connectors. thats just asking for issues down the road. those little terminals are expensive. none of the kits will really be 100% complete. but some come with a lot more stuff and better wiring then others. don't shop just on price...

i went with the highway 22 from american auto wire.. http://www.americanautowire.com/highway22.html

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

summit kit.
sum-890021_w.jpg

highway 22
500695.jpg

if the highway 22 to too much for ya and you don't plan on amps, a/c, power windows and things like that then the highway 15 would probably be good for ya...

500703.jpg

here read through the article from when we did my car. it may help ya out.. there is really a lot to it to do things right.

page1.jpg

page2.jpg

page3.jpg

page4.jpg

page5.jpg

page7.jpg

page8.jpg

page9.jpg

page10.jpg

Did the Highway kit also allow them to wire your gauges to everything? If so thats awesome!

and don't forget all the other crap you'll need..

tape, wire ties, grommets, weather pack connectors, convoluted tubing, solider, wire terminals, connectors, heat shrink.... it gets crazy some of the crap you need to do it right..

here is the table with all my crap and ready to go..

DSC_3515.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

i also bought new pig tails for the neutral safety switch, electronic ign and the voltage regulator..

i also put a new ign switch and turn signal switch in the car a few months before we wired it. i figured it would save some time at wiring time..

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

whatever kit you decide to go with here are a few drawings we made while doing my car that may help ya out..

71DartTurnSigWiring.jpg

71DartIgnitionWiring.jpg

71DartChargingWiring.jpg

Well thats cool, how much was all that? I dont think I will do the ignition switch, but everything else looks like an upgrade! I might need help on this, so maybe after Mopardude318 aka james does his, I'll ask if he can lend a hand or two haha...But I like the kit and does this only wire the front half of the car or what? Because I know there are wires that run under the door seal to the back that I have no idea how to take out.

Does this also get rid of the big plug in the firewall or no?

it wires the entire car..

i spent over $300 for the stuff from tie wraps.. i did order extra of everything so i have it for future stuff. the little terminals are like 50 cents each. we had to buy quite a few of them. then the kit then any misc. things i forgot about.. you can easily have close to $1000 into the rewire job. but its done and done right and won't have to be messed with again.. i also ran a wire for an electric fuel pump if i ever want to run one and for a/c under the hood if i want to run that..

OUCH!!! Killing my dreams with that price..I will piece the stuff I need together, but looks like that kit is the best option.

went with the GM style plug ( included in the kit). the connector is better then the stock one plus if i ever go to a after market column it will be plug and play..

DSC_9161.jpg

DSC_9165.jpg

DSC_9172.jpg

also changed to this plug for the ign switch because i really didn't like the stock one..

DSC_9159.jpg

kept the stock plugs at the wiper motor and switch. we just rebuilt them. all new wire and terminals in the stock plastic..

DSC_0106.jpg

All looks great, I plan on doing this and also upgrading all the bulbs that aren't in the gauges to led. I want the car to be done the right way, so it will be done once and for all.

see a turn signal switch asb complete with harness in your pics w/chryco logos on them . arre these OEM or do they come from AAW.

-
Back