Paint / refinish Distributor

-
OK, I aint gonna wrap my mind around does a points distributor need a chassis ground or not.
Too busy. Happy moparing

Dan, if you have a need, try John Deere satin black. It is superior in my book. I believe it is made by Martin Senour. Tmm

I haven't tried it. Wouldn't surprise me to find that's a good paint; the Martin Senour International-Harvester Red is a perfect match for '60-'68 Slant-6 engines ("Chrysler Red" is not) and is a very high quality, easy to work with paint.

OK, I aint gonna wrap my mind around does a points distributor need a chassis ground or not.

Have you ever seen a switch with only one contact? A point distributor has one lead, the other is distributor body. The distributor body must have ground to engine. The normal path is via clamp. Careful inspection of clamp, may reveal copper plating at tips, it does on my 66 Barracuda. A ground may happen via the shaft, and through the gear drive ... with unpredictable results.

Have you ever seen a switch with only one contact? A point distributor has one lead, the other is distributor body. The distributor body must have ground to engine. The normal path is via clamp. Careful inspection of clamp, may reveal copper plating at tips, it does on my 66 Barracuda. A ground may happen via the shaft, and through the gear drive ... with unpredictable results.
And the correct seal between the distributor base and the block was a sheetmetal ring with a rib in the middle.

-
Back