Paint removal - my low$ method

-

hemitheus

19? Plymouth Scampenstein
Reaction score
So a buddy of mine and I were working on his old ratty vw. He had a replacement junkyard hood he wanted to put on that was straight but the paint was flaking and nasty, so paint stripping time. Instead of abrasive or projectile methods we used Dawn Power Dissolver. The stuff for your pots and pans to remove the "cooking grime". Wal-trash (walmart) has it at under $5 a bottle and one bottle did the whole exterior of the hood.

What you do is

1) spray the hood down thoroughly
2) cover it in saran wrap
3) let it sit for 24 hours
4) remove wrap
5) wipe away the paint which just falls off.
(you may need to scotchbrite any tough spots or reapply)

but this stuff just eats away paint, is not toxic to touch or has toxic vapor

Pics coming. he took some and hasnt emailed them to me yet.

Yeah, works great on pots and pans too.

I have a manual tranny I am picking up this week and am going to see if it is also a good degreaser.

cool ill get some. what also works pretty awesome is, well......Awesome! (L.A.'s Totally Awesome Cleaner) available at your local dollar tree. :)

My wife uses the Dawn Power Dissolver to remove built-up oil and cooking grease, so yes it's a pretty good degreaser.

Totally is just a great all around cleaner I'm trying the Dawn stuff
just applied and covered will check it in 24 hours to see what's happening
got some on my skin and can tell it pretty potent stuff

Totally is just a great all around cleaner I'm trying the Dawn stuff
just applied and covered will check it in 24 hours to see what's happening
got some on my skin and can tell it pretty potent stuff

Cool. Post your feedback once you've finished.

Hemi one question after it removes the paint and wipe it off do you rinse afterwards?

Ok I tried this with pretty good results.Sprayed on - covered with shrink wrap
used sharpened putty knife - did this after 14 hours.Recoated and recovered will
scrape again in 24 hours since the paint is soft the second step should clean up
most of the paint.Looks like it takes one bottle at $3 to do the top of the
trunk lid.I'll try a door or hood next but first I'll try roughing up the paint with some
40 grit to see if that helps any

Attachments

• strip.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 438
It seems to perform like methyl chloride paint stripper. Does this stuff smell like chlorine?

how would you do an engine bay with this stuff? At that point would it just be a degreaser?

engine bays are very hard to do may work especially in the corners and hard to get to areas using a small brass or steel brush not as toxic as strippers.I'm trying it on old oem paint so it may not work well on other paint???????

-
Back