Paint Runs!!!!!!!!

-

72Dart360

Reaction score
The new paint job was going good for a garage paint booth until I saw the runs. The paint is Acrylic Enamel, is it fixable or do I have to repaint?

Attachments

• 2011-12-10_20-45-41_877.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 335
  • 2011-12-10_20-46-11_978.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 323
If its a metallic( which it looks like it is) you may have problems. Let er dry and try to sand the run out and see what you have.

Bummer...

Like was said....if it is metallic ,you will need to sand and reshoot. you COULD razor blade the run off and then wet sand it down and buff it.......but your going to always have a funny looking "wave" of metallic in that area.

If it is base clear.....you might be able to get away with sanding the bad area down and misting the base over the bad spot to get the metallic uniform looking again and then reclear the area. But being that it looks like its on the roof and the quarter. you may aswell just reshoot the entire thing.

P.S. check your pressure and maybe try not being so close when painting and speed your pass's up a bit.

Im not sure if your an experienced painter or not but figured I would mention just in case.

rule of thumb for me is....put your pinky on the surface of the car and spread your fingers out as wide as they can go....and where your thumb lands is generally a good distance to be away from the surface. (about 8"-10" or so) and do smooth steady slightly overlapping pass's and dont go to slow.

I will normally lay down a light first coat "tack coat" , let it tack up a bit, do a second "cover coat" ..let it tack up a bit and then come back for a final coat. and if i use clear i do the same.

hope you get it all figured out and looking good.

Hopefully you used catalyst in the paint? If yes then you will need to respray the area. Does it have clear on it? There is no way to get the metallic run effect out yo just have to cover it with new paint, just let the old cure and if a catalyst was used it is cured, if no catalyst was used then you cannot do anything for several months! If you are careful you can sand the paint flat without breaking through the color coat, then depending on your skills with the paint gun it can be fogged in or repainted as needed to finish up. Good luck! Note that I have painted a lot of cars in the garage, did your temperature drop as you were painting? I have seen this result from low temps as the paint just isn't curing as expected then all of a sudden this is what can happen.

Hi

Go to the store and buy a bic razor and shave down the run than sand it down

Rick

Wet with 600,do a mist coat(possibly multiple).Then clear it single stage metallics are a bear to shoot in cold weather.

If those aren't sanded out it'll show for sure. Razor blade. Sand flat with 400-600. Reshoot. Agree with dusterdude72. Runs suck but not the end of the world.

Like the color too.

Sorry I didnt read all the posts but it might have been said.That being enamel:
1.you can"t just tape it off and repaint that area especially metallic
2.even if you sand it down you will get the wave effect
3.if you try to just spay over that area alone the metallic will not flow with the rest of the car.
Its a shame to cause the rest looks pretty good.
My advice would be to use base coat and clear to reshoot it.the base is a little more forgiving if you have to wet sand a run.
A cheap route would be to wet sand that spot and reshoot it lightly to hide the wave but not biuld up the metallics and cause a dark spot.You could also tape off around it sand and paint then sand the paint edge from the tape then clear coat the whole car for a smooth shine.

I concurs with the rest of the fellows, single stage metallics take lots of experience and controlled conditions to get a nice job. Changing to BaseClear thou more costly is easier for a novice to get a very nice job and repairing a mistake is much simpler, good luck!

Another option here, if the runs are just on the rear pillars as shown in the pics and no where else and if this area is not an easy fix due to metallic in the paint like others haved mentioned then have a vinyl roof put on.

-
Back