Painted the scoops on the Swinger Rustoleum satin black

-

homecloned

Can't re Member
Reaction score
I took a tip from challangergary and tried the Rustoleum satin black paint at the cost of $9.00 for the Qt. I am more then satisfied with the results.
I'm not sure how much thinner I cut it with because I was adjusting it as I sprayed but it's around 35%.
I was just going to surface repair them but they had some ruff spots so I just stripped them down with stripper.
Does anybody know if these were all painted black and then changed at the factory if orderd with body color? The reason I ask is under the top coat was the same color as my GTX, dark green met. which definitally looks like factory paint, and under that was the flat black.
I primed with rustoleum automotive spray bomb primer but forgot to take a pic of that stage.
When I started spraying, it was a little thick and I adjusted the mix, had a couple of light coat's on and readjusted one of the scoops on it's table and ended up blowing some dirt into it.#-o No biggie, I let it dry for a day, wet sanded with some 600 and sprayed 3 more coats on.
I need to wax them once there cured. They have been sitting in the garage while I have been sanding so what you see in the pick is just residue from what I wipped off.
I will paint the wing and rocker panels with this as well.
Also if somebody can inform me on the correct mounting screws it would be much appreciated. These are the four that were in mine.:dontknow: The bezel has a tapered hole like an interior screw but larger.
Thanks for looking.
I am sarting

DSC00002 (Custom).JPG

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

DSC00010 (Custom).JPG

DSC00011 (Custom).JPG

DSC00025 (Custom).JPG

DSC00029 (Custom).JPG

DSC00022 (Custom).JPG

DSC00023 (Custom).JPG

DSC00024 (Custom).JPG

body color painted scoops came on cars without the hood blackout. black ones were on blacked out hoods. (unless you had a back car with ??? bezels)

body colored got chrome bezels
blacked out ones got black bezels

Dang :cheers: Looking good homecloned =P~ REAL good looking job bud
I can't help you with the screws maybe some one will jump in and fix you up.

Congrat's bud 8)8)8)

body color painted scoops came on cars without the hood blackout. black ones were on blacked out hoods. (unless you had a back car with ??? bezels)

Thanks chrisf, This is not the origional hood off the car, so i'm not sure what they should have been. both colors look factory. These have chrome bezels.

Dang :cheers: Looking good homecloned =P~ REAL good looking job bud
I can't help you with the screws maybe some one will jump in and fix you up.

Congrat's bud 8)8)8)

Thank you memike, it took some getting use to the gravity fed guns but I think I have it now.

A job well done!
Matt

Thanks Matt, I am trying to get a little done every day.

There's nothing wrong with Rustoleum, it's cheap and it does hold up. I used Rustoleum on several of my cars for different things over the years and it works great but it may start to oxidize on you because Rustoleum has no UV protection, if you keep them waxed often you will have no trouble. My uncle painted the running boards and bumpers on his 50 Ford F-1 with Rustoleum semi gloss black over 7 years ago and they still look great but he has to wax them every month or so to keep them from oxidizing. He still takes 1st or 2nd place in every show he enters it in.

I usually thin the Rustoleum with about 40% mineral spirits and it spays great, but that is with a standard gun not a gravity feed.

Darts had chrome even with the blacked out hood. Only Demons got the black bezels.

There's nothing wrong with Rustoleum, it's cheap and it does hold up. I used Rustoleum on several of my cars for different things over the years and it works great but it may start to oxidize on you because Rustoleum has no UV protection, if you keep them waxed often you will have no trouble. My uncle painted the running boards and bumpers on his 50 Ford F-1 with Rustoleum semi gloss black over 7 years ago and they still look great but he has to wax them every month or so to keep them from oxidizing. He still takes 1st or 2nd place in every show he enters it in.

I usually thin the Rustoleum with about 40% mineral spirits and it spays great, but that is with a standard gun not a gravity feed.

Thanks for the info Blownfish, I do like the cost factor at about a 5th of the cost of auto shop paint. I talked with my paint buddy and it was going to be at least $50+ any other way. I do plan on keeping them waxed and the car covered. Heck if I get 5 years out of them I would be happy.

Yeah I started at about 25% mineral spirits but adjusted to around 35%-40%. I am still getting use to these cheap guns. The nice thing was it flowed out even smoother while setting up. I thought I might have some minor orange peel but you can't notice any at all when dry.
The lighting in the pics actually don't do these justice.

Looks great; nice job on the painting.
The 1970 340 Swinger we had when I was 16 and drove to high school had the factory Organasol (spelling?) black painted hood and scoops, and the chrome bezels were on the scoops as well. I think at some point in the future I'll get my 1971 done the same way. Right now the scoops are body colored with the bezels.

Looks great; nice job on the painting.
The 1970 340 Swinger we had when I was 16 and drove to high school had the factory Organasol (spelling?) black painted hood and scoops, and the chrome bezels were on the scoops as well. I think at some point in the future I'll get my 1971 done the same way. Right now the scoops are body colored with the bezels.

Thanks 340_dart_power, I was going to do the hood black and the scoops Go Mango but thought it would be to much black as I am going back to the vinyl top. I have your thread saved for insparation when I am ready to rock and roll. Vinyl Roof Replacement

I decided to wet sand my scoop's to get out some minor inperfections and here are the results.
1500 grit, turtle wax red/wht compound.
Also found some screw's that work perfectly,just had to jb weld the holes and drill new.
Detailed the 340 emblem.
Third pic is one wet sanded one not.
No wax yet, still curing but the reflection is pretty good.

DSC00038 (Custom).JPG

DSC00045 (Custom).JPG

DSC00054 (Custom).JPG

DSC00055 (Custom).JPG

DSC00050 (Custom).JPG

DSC00009 (Custom).JPG

I decided to wet sand my scoop's to get out some minor inperfections and here are the results.
1500 grit, turtle wax red/wht compound.
Also found some screw's that work perfectly,just had to jb weld the holes and drill new.
Detailed the 340 emblem.
Third pic is one wet sanded one not.
No wax yet, still curing but the reflection is pretty good.

They just about glow, they're so smooth. Nicely done.

Hey Homecloned, just read through this thread. Nice work for sure. So - how do they look some 5-6 years down the road?
C

I like John Deere Blitz black you can add some hardner for a little more sheen

-
Back