painted "vinyl" top

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
seem i remember when people bought new cars, in the late 60's and 70's, some wanted a vinyl top. so some had it "painted" on. does anyone remember if it was a textured finish or just plain paint. saw a white car with a blue top in town but the top did not look correct vinyl. buddy says it looked like it was painted on. anyone remember?

seem i remember when people bought new cars, in the late 60's and 70's, some wanted a vinyl top. so some had it "painted" on. does anyone remember if it was a textured finish or just plain paint. saw a white car with a blue top in town but the top did not look correct vinyl. buddy says it looked like it was painted on. anyone remember?
My 65 Dart was white and had a black painted top. (aftermarket and not factory paint) It was textured and looked like undercoat to me.

Factory painted roofs were just regular shiny body paint.
There were companies that did the "painted" vinyl roofs that were textured, not the factory or dealers.

In recent years I have seen people use Rino-Liner type products to paint roofs.

Alan

Factory painted roofs were just regular shiny body paint.
There were companies that did the "painted" vinyl roofs that were textured, not the factory or dealers.

In recent years I have seen people use Rino-Liner type products to paint roofs.

Alan
Much better than vinyl. It would seal the metal against moisture and prevent rust.

id imagine whatever we use to "wrinkle paint" valve covers and air filter housings would look pretty decent

My Grandfather’s retirement ‘72 Newport (he followed it down the Jefferson assembly line as that is where he retired from) was medium green metallic with a dark green painted roof and had what looked like vinyl top stainless trim that covered the separation in colors. Wish I had pictures it had a super nice green interior.

My brother has a 70 440 6bbl 4 speed cuda purple with white interior and white painted top.
Oh and it is a shaker car.

My dad bought a 68 Coronet new. Had the dealer spray on a black textured roof coating on. Probably something like modern Ryno-liner

I remember a long time ago we had a Earl shrieb here that did those. It looked like they mixed sand in with the paint. Had a very rough texture to it.

My first duster (72) I had painted sassygrass green with mate black hood and the half vinyl mate black as well and I thought it looked pretty good... Sorry old picture of a picture is all I got...
I think a rhino liner looks exactly like what it is...
Like it belongs in the bed of a truck....
2011-05-20 18.00.36.jpg

I've come across a few cars back in the mid to late 70's that had spray on tops from the factory.Those cars had bad roofs,creases,dents,bad seams when I stripped them.I always thought it was done as a quick factory fix,and they all had a rough texture like a vinyl top.

I found a You Tube of a 71 D 100 Sweptline Truck it had a painted top and they did a great job on it. The whole truck was fantastic.

Screenshot_20221228-205751_YouTube.jpg

Back in the early 70s painted vinyl tops were a fad. Saw a lot of Mustangs and Chevelles wearing those tops. Not sure of the process but I remember Earl use to do it.

-
Back