Painting concrete...need advice

-

MVRCorp

Reaction score
Just patched some concrete curbs at the office complex. I'm the "Building Engineer" (sounds like a bullshit name for the janitor). Anyway, how long should it cure before I can paint it with an oil base paint?

Thanks, Jim

usually a 4" slab will cure in 3 days at 70 degrees. i would wait to paint it till a warmer day. like above 70

30 days is a good rule of thumb but what your looking for is a ph neutral, acidity being at one end of the spectrum and akline at the other.

I have painted 2 concrete surfaces and if you want your paint to adhere ( which mine DIDN'T initially) first treat your concrete with muriatic acid.This removes chemicals from the concrete and you won't have a problem.
Good luck

My grandpa used vinegar soaked newspapers to pre-treat a cement porch. Smelled awful for a couple days. Water rinsed well. Paint did stick.
If you get paid to slap a bit of paint on a curb you dont want it to stick anyway. Repeating is job security LOL

Last weekend I just painted the basement floor. The can said new concrete should not be painted for 30 days. A patch may be different. Maybe call the paint manufacturer and ask them the question.

Good luck

-
Back