Painting Exhaust Manifolds

-

68VAHCODE

Reaction score
All....I've seen more than a few stock manifolds that appear to be left to a natural color....i.e. The gray color that you wind up with when you glass bead them
I'm certain if you leave them "natural" they will rust.
Is there a clear heat resistant finish you can use or some other process available to preserve this "au natural" look and still avoid rust?

I tried plastikote cast finish. Wont do that again. Looks great on stuff that doesent get hot, using it on my rear diff, just to be different.

I used this Bill Hirsch cast iron gray manifold paint on my 340 manifolds back in 2002 and they still look like the day I painted them.

This stuff is by far the best manifold paint available.

At cruise night's people always ask me how I keep my exhaust manifolds looking like new.

You brush it on and there are no brush strokes visible.

2017-10-13_15-30-33.jpg

DSCF0096.JPG

I had good results with POR15 manifold grey coating. Prep is everything though, blast them and clean well with degreaser.

I used this Bill Hirsch cast iron gray manifold paint on my 340 manifolds back in 2002 and they still look like the day I painted them.

This stuff is by far the best manifold paint available.

At cruise night's people always ask me how I keep my exhaust manifolds looking like new.

You brush it on and there are no brush strokes visible.

View attachment 1715100105

View attachment 1715100106

gorgeous engine bay!

Like someone already suggested, I used Eastwood high temp manifold paint too. I've only had them on the car for a week so I can't comment on how long it will last before it starts to rust.

Am I wrong? But in the photo of the engine bay on the green car. Is the PCV & Breather on the wrong side?

Am I wrong? But in the photo of the engine bay on the green car. Is the PCV & Breather on the wrong side?

Thats a picture of an engine bay from Australia.... everything is on the other side down there.....

Last edited:
I don't think the engine cares what side it's on (PCV). Maybe I'm not the only one who likes to be different.
Maybe, but most rotating components throw oil up the Pass. side , and almost every V-8 has the PCV on the Dr. side. ...but not all. That said, yes the PCV is supposed to
be on the Dr. side.......................some have them in the valley under the intake etc. so .............

remember if you paint your exhaust, it may have you cure it with a 30 minute idle or something. I painted some headers and didnt install them for months, the paint would come off on my hands when I finally installed them.

on the '69 Dart driver's side for breather and passenger side for PCV.

I've confirmed this on 2 unrestored 1969 Darts, and in a magazine test article from 1969 in the book called Dodge 1964-1971 - Muscle Portfolio

I used Hirsch's gray also, but in the spray form. I soaked the manifolds for a couple weeks in vinegar to dissolve the rust, then sprayed. Been about a year, still looking great.

one last thought is Calyx or any graphite, lasts forever and is easy to touch up.It will come off on your hands a little bit if you handle it.

-
Back