Painting plastic trim

-

Kenflo

Reaction score
Can any one tell me what the process would be for painting plastic trim? I'm converting my interior from white to black and need to paint the kick panels, window trims etc. I'm also wondering about replacement interior door panels, it's a 73 scamp 2dr.

I just tried to get a can of vinyl color mixed here in New Brunswick , Napa, Carquest. I used it alot over the years , and you could also brush it on , and never seen the brush marks .I just cleaned the part with vinegar and water a few times , and sprayed it on . You can take your interior code and take it to your local auto parts , or you can order it online to from u.s

Use SEM Color Coat products. Available a a good automotive paint supply store.

[ame="http://youtu.be/jYPr7ea_NfY"]302 Found[/ame]

The only recommendation I have for coloring vinyl or plastic is to use a good quality product like SEM, as mentioned above, and make sure your prep is very thorough. If you clean it really good and clean it again really good you will have good results. The only issues I ever see with it is when cleaning and prep has been inadequate.

Good tips, thanks. I think I'll give the SEM stuff a try, looks easy enough. I'll try to post some pics on the progress.

SEM is good stuff but pricey! You can get "Bulldog" adhesion promoter fairly cheap at most auto parts. Clean substrate real good with soapy water and scuff it with 1000 wet sandpaper. I never had to apply any primer when using the Bulldog. Painted a set of my 3 wheeler fenders with auto paint and it has been stuck for 6 years, no peeling yet!

Rustoleum has a plastic primer and paint in spray cans. Perhaps Kyrlon too. At Ace or Home Depot. I got some for plastic bumpers, but haven't used yet. There are many types of plastic, with different adhesion ability, so read the labels carefully and try to guess what yours is. I think polyethylene is the worst, but shouldn't be in our interiors.

I went to a an auto paint store and they matched (as close as they could) to one of my kick panels. I told the person behind the counter what I was painting and it needed to be of a satin/suede finish. That's where is 25+ years of mixing paint came in to play. I couldn't tell you the type but his biggest comment was to clean with soap and water, or vinegar and water. Scuff the plastic with a scotch type pad or use 2500 grit sand paper. Then go buy a can of Adhesion Promoter for plastics. Wait at least 10 to 15 minutes for the adhesion promoter to set, then spray. I sprayed all my plastics and my package tray when I did it.. They actually all turned out real nice.

there are a lot of good products out there, some cheap , some expensive. but as said, and like everything else, the finished product is only as good as the preperation. that is everything. i use rustolieum products, great results

I just dynamat'd my doors and floor a few weeks ago and took the opportunity to do just that - paint the kick panels and door trim panels, etc... I used Duplicolor black plastic paint. It has stretchability so it won't crack, covered very well, and looks great. It's almost like having a brand new interior.

You get what you pay for. I like SEM Color coat cause you can still see the grain of the plastic. ! followed the directions and use warm soapy water first and then their prep and sand free. I choose what's on the left.

Attachments

• DSCF5323.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG00027-20110212-1259.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG00083-20110219-1105.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG00084-20110219-1127.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG00085-20110219-1127.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG00086-20110219-1302.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 364
I used interior paint from Herbs. My B5 interior kinda forced me down that road. I scuffed the plastic parts and then went over them with wax and grease remover then sprayed 4 light coats. Turned out excellent and matches perfect.

-
Back