Painting

-

grassy

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing the paint job myself because I have done it before but I am concerned about dust and bugs in the garage. As well, I gather that before soon, everybody will have to use water based paint..which requires special equipment. I was thinking about getting my materials before that law came in..

I have a sanding question. Once you have a coat of poly surfacer or primer down you start spraying a different colour on questional parts to make sure the body is flat. I read that you shouldn't use rattlecan paint because it willl clog your sandpaper. If you are taking a day to do the sanding, how long would the normal mixed paint in the can stay good and not foul up the sprayer.. or woud a rattlecan of custom car colour act differently.

Thanks
Ian.

You can use a rattle can black lacquer for a tracer coat just mist it on you don't need to full coat it.
Then you can block sand the whole car any high or low spots will be visible.

Thank-you.

No I just have to screw my courage to tackle the paint job....I just finished the article in Hot Rod on how the company EDAG Inc do a paint job. One thing I did take away from the article was in the area of body prep. I had thought that a 1 foot long sander would be sufficient and now I see @ 3 foot would work better. That and what you can do to highlight sections of the car.

I have talked to a few paint shops but in retrospect, I did not ask the right questions and none volunteered just what they actually do.

i think what it will boil down to time issues. Anyway, Thanks.

Ian.

Hi Ian. The laws for water based paint are in effect now and have been since mid December. Not all paints ( enamel,urethane,acrylic enamel, base coat clear coat ) changed to water based but those that did't have changed activators. Urethane has not changed to water base and is the closest to acrylic enamel. BC/CC has changed and requires special equipement to dry the paint. Water base paint is also quite expensive. Hope this helps. Bobby

Well if you do it soon being in Canada...........there aint no bugs now...to dam cold..........LOL I agree with above mentioned about a light coat. You should be just fine.............Laws it sucks...everytime i buy anything here in Ontario..paint, bleach,kerosene what ever gettion dinged buy the big man...environment tax..........What the hell:banghead:

There are several companies that sell "Guide Coat" including Eastwood, or Auto Body Toolmart. It dries quick and will not clog your sandpaper.

So what you are telling me is that the paint job just got more expensive ???? Lucky me.

Getting tired of taxes..we have the second higest in canada..not sure which province is 1st.

BTW, looking for liquid metal..the type that you can fill in corrosion pits that are i metal then sand it clear. IN the states, it comes in a paint can size..all I can find here is JB Weld which is $$$$.

Honestly, not sure which way we go but we have time because the mechanacles come 1st.

Ian.

...I am not sold that everything has to be green. if tis helps the body guys, I am all for it..if it a beurocrat then I have a problem..end of rant, ian.

Pineridge ( Napa) sells dupont you can still get cromaclear,epoxy,hi build primer,Nason made by dupont has a base coat that is voc compliant and not water born and you can spray cromaclear on top of it so no worries for paint materials right now.
If you are worried about the lacquer clogging your paper up it won't, like i said you just need to mist it on.

-
Back